Softball Watch - New Regime takes the field

No, they have not…ever

And that is more in line with the “garbage standard”

I believe the coach has a son playing baseball in HS and is going to play at Davidson starting next year.

Good timing for a voluntary resignation to spend more time following her son… and to save face from being fired and having her decades of failures publicly discussed as show cause.

Timing is perfect for a somewhat graceful exit…if she doesn’t take it…she’s an idiot. She will be fired…,.we have a real AD now.

Our team went 1-2 this weekend against the FAU. The Owls are tied with us at 6-14 in conference. Next weekend we play our final series against UAB, who is 5-15 in conference, so there is a chance that we will not finish as the bottom team.

We play our last series against UAB this weekend. The Blazers are at the bottom of the West, and we are at the bottom of the East. If we sweep, and if the three teams above us in the East all lose all of their remaining games, we could make it to the Conference Tournament (8 of the 12 teams play). That is a mighty tall order. I wish our team the best of luck and as always will be pulling for them.

For now the Softball Watch continues.

Starting outfielder out for this last home series

Assuming injury, hopefully she has a full and speedy recovery.

Game 1 - Niners lose 0-9 in 5 innings

Winter is coming.

Game 2 - UAB takes it 14-1

Outscored 39-3 this weekend.

Woof.

Game 3 - Charlotte beaten 16-2 by the second worst team in C-USA

Season tally

Total: 15-25
Conference: 6-17
At home: 11-15
Away: 3-16
Neutral: 1-4
Longest Streak: 5 (losses)

There really is no good story here.

How many games lost by mercy rule?

We were run-ruled in 12 games.

We did win 5 by the mercy rule.

6 of the 13 players that took the field for us this year are Seniors. I wish them the best as they begin their careers. I am certain that the discipline you learn playing varsity sports will serve them very well, and I hope we see them back as involved alumnae.

I don’t know what kind of recruits we have coming in, but I would hate to think that next year could be a rebuilding year.

RPI was 189 out of 297, which is higher than I would have guessed.

I expect our teams to aim for conference championships, and compete in the top 4 level most years. Our current coach has had 25 years to build this program yet we finished in last place in C-USA. This is a spot we are familiar with.

As of last season Devos’ lifetime record was 615-676 (.476). This season pushed that down further. Devos reloaded with new assistants after the 2014 season and that did not solve the problem. Is there anything that could possibly signal a near time change in fortune for our program? I think the ball is in Mike Hill’s court. Does he believe that Devos can make this team a winner, and if not, it is time to make a change.

It is done: https://charlotte49ers.com/news/2019/5/13/49ers-announce-softball-coaching-change.aspx

1 Like