Solo: A Star Wars story - ! SPOILERS ! review / talk

While this was not a great movie, there are things to talk about:

L3 is melded with the Falcon - the Falcon has a robot soul?

Maul. Not sure how I feel about this fan service - but it’s also a possibly large plot device going forward.

Qi’ra - definitely concerned about this. If the box office doesn’t justify a sequel, it leaves Han’s first love interest unresolved leading into the original trilogy, and he never ever mentions her. Its a real mess.

Kessel Run - was fine if hard to follow. Anyone get flashbacks to ST: Wrath of Khan?

The game scene where Han won the Falcon I didn’t like at all - felt entirely forced and Han was way too direct about it.

Enfys Nest - Seems like another character setup for a sequel that might not happen.

L3, Lando, Chewy, etc

Plus any number of typical performance and script talking points.

I did think the cinematography was excellent.

But the movie was too long with too little payoff. Han really wasn’t developed at all. If anything, I felt like he was just a bullshitter who mostly coasted on the backs of stronger people - until his double? triple? cross.

Also, how Han got his name has got to be the worst, most lazy backstory… ever. I audibly groaned.

I really liked it.

Star Wars fans complaining about star wars movies is the biggest thing hurting the franchise right now IMO.

I disagree. Standards are important.

The best discussion point I have heard is that the Millennials and whatever the next generation is called are being brought into this franchise via mediocre or bad movies, which makes them just forgettable trash. That’s heartbreaking to many of us.

Star Wars is no better than Transformers sequels at this point.

In fact, someone compared Solo to the recent Valyrean movie. Utterly forgettable space movie.

In fairness, Ron Howard had an answer for “did Han shoot first” and that probably should be given more credit.

Maul would be a perfect villain for any Obi Wan solo film. The extended universe has a pretty good story arc already developed for those two. Maul was wasted in Episode 1, and could have been a strong villain through the rest of the prequels. Hopefully his character finally gets the attention it deserves. Also, sounds like the guy that plays him may be hinting at as much. https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2018/05/28/star-wars-obi-wan-kenobi-movie-darth-maul-ray-park/

He was… rebuilt in the TV show Clone Wars. Gotta thank my kids for making me watch those (and SW: Rebels). It seems hokey, but it is Star Wars and it works fairly well. He’s a bit like Vader or Grievous afterwards.

Turns out he has a pretty powerful brother and a lot of stuff goes down that I wont spoil. He has more run ins with Obi Wan. He kinda hates the dude for obvious reasons. Though he is not too keen on Palpatine anymore either.

NA, I took my 7 year old to see Solo yesterday, and he was explaining to me all about Maul and his brother afterwards. He’s watched all the Rebels and Clone Wars, but I just couldn’t get into it. I guess I need to go back and watch all of that to get more background.

I get it - Clone Wars and Rebels are really uneven. When they’re good they stand up pretty well with classic Star Wars. Other times the episodes drag or deviate off into some weird spiritual stuff or other randomness that doesn’t fit within what our generation envisions.

That said, I am glad I watched with them. Got to live vicariously through them, got their perspective, and I got to play living encyclopedia, at least until they passed me by. Now I ask them questions.

IMO though, the Maul / Kenobi stuff is pretty powerful. Really don’t wanna spoil it.

This watch guide may help you. Clone Wars us way way too long to sit through just for the Maul parts:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-playlist-darth-maul

I just think we criticize the hell out of everything now. The prequels were awful movies, and I get that. The force awakens followed a tired plot.

Rogue One was awesome. I was thoroughly entertained. One of my all time favorites. Told a story we knew about with incredible detail, and an awesome story line.
The Last Jedi was very different, and I didn’t love the fuel plot line, but I think it was awesome in the way of moving the story to places we’ve never seen. MUCH better than the prequels.
Solo was a really entertaining back story, presenting new plot lines, and connecting old ones.

I’m a star wars loon, but it doesn’t matter if the next movie is good or bad, star wars fans are going to complain about it. It’s like death and taxes at this point.

Decent breakdown of Maul post Phantom Menace (pretty quick too):

1 Like

I saw it over the weekend. Considering how much I had heard from fellow Star Wars fans about how terrible it was and how much they hated it, I was really worried. But I ended up really liking it. I thought it was an enjoyable summer popcorn movie. It presented a back story i wanted to know while connecting the dots to pieces of the mythology i already knew. Its always easy to nitpick a movie, but I think Star Wars fans have a tendency to be overly critical of these new movies at the expense of ignoring some legitimate issues with the original 3.

I dot agree however, that without a sequel, the lack of resolution with Qi’ra is a pretty huge issue. But ive been so happy with the 4 post prequel movies that I trust they will tie it up.