Son replaces father as Charlotte 49ers’ tennis coach

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/07/4668548/son-replaces-father-as-charlotte.html

More nepotism.

this would explain why they have had so much success in the tennis program recently…o wait.

Major doesn’t have any kids…does he?

The honest to God’s truth: we would not give a flying s#!7 about nepotism or any other complaint, bellyache, whine, piss-off, conspiracy theory, pot smoking, ass kissing, etc. IF WE WERE WINNING, WINNING BIG, AND WINNING OFTEN. We’d be talking about playoffs, great plays, great players, great coaching, WINNING, etc. The honest to God’s truth.

That is the truth - if thing are going great keeping it in the family makes sense. When things are going like crap well it just looks awful. I think if we expect tennis to succeed they need a nicer facility ::slight_smile:

Don’t know much about the tennis team, nor do I follow it, but hiring a dude’s son makes me cringe. On the face, it reeks of nepotism.

[quote=“eason49, post:7, topic:28602”]Don’t know much about the tennis team, nor do I follow it, but hiring a dude’s son makes me cringe. On the face, it reeks of nepotism.[/quote] The son was already coach at Richmond. Since tennis coach at Charlotte isn’t exactly a high profile job, its barely possible he was the best candidate.
Are we really bringing this up as a case of nepotism when maybe none of us know WTF we are talking about? Oh wait, this never stopped us before. :smiley:

[quote=“4ever niner, post:8, topic:28602”][quote=“eason49, post:7, topic:28602”]Don’t know much about the tennis team, nor do I follow it, but hiring a dude’s son makes me cringe. On the face, it reeks of nepotism.[/quote] The son was already coach at Richmond. Since tennis coach at Charlotte isn’t exactly a high profile job, its barely possible he was the best candidate.
Are we really bringing this up as a case of nepotism when maybe none of us know WTF we are talking about? Oh wait, this never stopped us before. :D[/quote]

Yeah, we’re losing our ass on the basketball court, we have nothing good there to talk about, so let’s talk bad about some other area of NINER NATION. Just as long as we keep talking, facts, be damned.

I gather after reading this thread that mens tennis is not a new sport for 2014?

You should always err on the side of caution when ethics are in play. Hiring relatives to replace you puts your business in a bad light whether it’s accurate or not.

Billy is a great guy. I dont care who his dad is, but Billy is definitely qualified for the job. Guy graduated from Davidson and could easily have a job paying him triple what he makes now. You should be giving him credit for doing what he loves to do.

The Dad didn’t hire the son, so these comments make no sense and as others have said he was already a HC at another university. Not like he was some totally unqualified candidate. Also, why is this just being posted. This coaching change happened a year or 2 ago.

This thread is really just showing that some people just love to bitch and gripe about any and everything.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:14, topic:28602”]This thread is really just showing that some people just love to b**** and gripe about any and everything.[/quote]It’s what Niner Nation does best.

The Dad didn’t hire the son, so these comments make no sense and as others have said he was already a HC at another university. Not like he was some totally unqualified candidate. Also, why is this just being posted. This coaching change happened a year or 2 ago.[/quote] The story in the Observer was last week. Before that nobody noticed and most didn’t care.
BTW, my O has some little story in the local supplement just about every week. The writer is freelance, I think, and his coverage of Charlotte athletics is far superior to D. Scott.
No offense to you. David. Most of the stuff is about sports that “nobody cares about” , but is interesting to me at least.

Nothing to see here.

But-

I would be curious if our new tennis coach making 40k can actually speak coherently on camera? Maybe he could coach ol Major up…! :))

[quote=“Card49, post:17, topic:28602”]Nothing to see here.

But-

I would be curious if our new tennis coach making 40k can actually speak coherently on camera? Maybe he could coach ol Major up…! :))[/quote] Nah. Might improve Major’s forehand stroke. though.

It’s not my fault the lack of basketball gave me time to examine the rest of the department. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“4ever niner, post:18, topic:28602”][quote=“Card49, post:17, topic:28602”]Nothing to see here.

But-

I would be curious if our new tennis coach making 40k can actually speak coherently on camera? Maybe he could coach ol Major up…! :))[/quote] Nah. Might improve Major’s forehand stroke. though.[/quote]

At first glance, I read that as “forehead” stroke.