Southern Miss beatwriter: C-USA model failing

From Southern Miss beatwriter Pat Magee of the Biloxi Sun Herald.

Sunherald.com: Conference USA proves again that it’s a failing model

Interesting read. It really adds that exclaimation point to us missing the bus on conference realignment.

This seems to often be the case when you make Texas the center of anything.

do not want to be in a conference with a
App

[quote=“49erCC, post:4, topic:31255”]do not want to be in a conference with a
App[/quote]

Why not…the rivalry and atmosphere would be amazing.

Regional conferences will be the only way colleges can maintain expenses going forward with the P5 getting the bulk of the tv money.

I absolutely WELCOME a regional conference.
I’d much rather play in a regional conference with the likes of APP, Coastal Carolina, ECU, College of Charleston, ODU, Marshal, et al than FIU, UTEP, FAU, MTSU, Western Kentucky and Rice any day. The fan interest would be night and day. That means the gameday experience specifically.

We ain’t getting a seat at the P5 table…the regional option over this crap we’re in now is a no brainer.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:5, topic:31255”][quote=“49erCC, post:4, topic:31255”]do not want to be in a conference with a
App[/quote]

Regional conferences will be the only way colleges can maintain expenses going forward with the P5 getting the bulk of the tv money.

I’d much rather play in a regional conference with the likes of APP, Coastal Carolina, ECU, College of Charleston, ODU, Marshal, et al than FIU, UTEP, FAU, MTSU, Western Kentucky and Rice any day. The fan interest would be night and day. That means the gameday experience specifically.

We ain’t getting a seat at the P5 table…the regional option over this crap we’re in now is a no brainer.[/quote]agree, though I like wku and mt. They have good all around programs and still in our region.

clt is cool with a regional league. The “P5” is Hurting itself with the crazy additions.

This is a huge opportunity for us.

fake news.

Phil Dubois said CUSA working just fine. Told WFNZ we are #1 in soccer attendance

If only we had been warned we were going to get left behind without football we could have avoided this!

This is why it is imperative that we replace Judy ASAP (I assume everyone knows she was warned). We have quite a bit of catching up to do.

Regarding conference realignment, I’ll take the AAC over any conference that has App State, WCU, and Elon in it. But like I said, we have some catching up to do.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:5, topic:31255”][quote=“49erCC, post:4, topic:31255”]do not want to be in a conference with a
App[/quote]

We ain’t getting a seat at the P5 table…the regional option over this crap we’re in now is a no brainer.[/quote]

I second this. I really enjoyed the first two years when I was able to drive to some road games.

I love it when we play at drivable locations.

I could care less about fighting for the P5 crumbs. We are never getting on that ship.

If we are wanting to downgrade conferences, why are we upset with Judy for keeping us out of the Big East/AAC? Her not acting on football when she should have is one of the most costliest things she has done.

[quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:31255”]From Southern Miss beatwriter Pat Magee of the Biloxi Sun Herald.

Sunherald.com: Conference USA proves again that it’s a failing model[/quote] Nice article that could well have been written by Capt. Obvious. WKU vs. UTEP makes about as much sense as Syracuse vs. Miami and we know no league would be stupid enough to include those last two.

Southern Miss is located in the middle of nowhere in the poorest state in the country that is their biggest problem. They also have aging facilities. Charlotte has tremendous potential based on where we are located and alumni growth we just need leaders with vision to guide our future instead of the inept idiots we have now.

Many of us have been preaching the gospel of this article for years. Glad the media has caught on.

I dont like admitting we’ve fallen to the point of being in a league with App as much as anyone, but in reality, I view it as the only step forward. We must regionalize. It just makes sense.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:13, topic:31255”][quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:31255”]From Southern Miss beatwriter Pat Magee of the Biloxi Sun Herald.

Sunherald.com: Conference USA proves again that it’s a failing model[/quote] Nice article that could well have been written by Capt. Obvious. WKU vs. UTEP makes about as much sense as Syracuse vs. Miami and we know no league would be stupid enough to include those last two.[/quote]

The ACC makes 8 figures off their TV deal. That’s why Syracuse and Miami makes sense. Wanna guess how much ours makes?

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:16, topic:31255”][quote=“4ever niner, post:13, topic:31255”][quote=“Run49er, post:1, topic:31255”]From Southern Miss beatwriter Pat Magee of the Biloxi Sun Herald.

Sunherald.com: Conference USA proves again that it’s a failing model[/quote] Nice article that could well have been written by Capt. Obvious. WKU vs. UTEP makes about as much sense as Syracuse vs. Miami and we know no league would be stupid enough to include those last two.[/quote]

The ACC makes 8 figures off their TV deal. That’s why Syracuse and Miami makes sense. Wanna guess how much ours makes?[/quote]

clt says they currently do, but the next contract will not look the same. Skipper is killing espn.

You been there? I have twice. Thier facilitates are far better except hoops and that’s only slight, huge following state wide, great marketing, and great booster environment. But agree we should smoke them with potential. Just don’t discount them, they are an ECU clone.

We get eight figures from CUSA if you count the two figures after the decimal.

I agree that Phil and Judy are idiots but we have to acknowledge our current reality. We are not going to become Clemson or Carolina any time soon. I like the idea of a regional conference with foes for which we already have a healthy level of hate.

You been there? I have twice. Thier facilitates are far better except hoops and that’s only slight, huge following state wide, great marketing, and great booster environment. But agree we should smoke them with potential. Just don’t discount them, they are an ECU clone.[/quote]

[font=verdana]I wish Southern Miss well they have great tradition and solid fan support. I visited there last year and their football stadium while much larger than ours was covered in gray mildew. Their basketball area looked like it hadn’t been touched since 1970.[/font]

With that said I envy their ability to market and desire to win something Charlotte ignores.