Southern Miss Game 1/17

Yep, C-USA does seem to be having some clock issues as of late. :roll_eyes:

They stopped it after the shot, but our final heave obviously took more time than was left on the clock. Shot clock operator screwed up.

Doesnā€™t get any easier on Saturday and Monday.

Supica is NOT dead weight on the Offensive End most nights. He has been our most consistent and effective inside player all season and that is clearly not his natural position.

But coach was really laying into him at the bench.

I get that heā€™s a 4 playing the 5 position. Watch ball movement stop when he receives a pass at the top of the lane, which happens often. He dribbles once and picks it up, taking away his options and generating turnovers. Canā€™t dribble and has bad hands. Otherwise, heā€™s fine. Excellent offensive rebounder.

Supica best fits the 5 in this system. Heā€™s not a modern 4, at all.

I use to think Lutz was a little too harsh at times with his style of in game coaching but Lutz is an kitten compared to Sanchez. I like the style as long as players get better. Not saying the style is bad or wrong, just different and obvious.

He was getting onto Supica for not being physical. He told him to hit someone lol. I love his style. He gets onto the guys in a demanding way. Then, after 3 or so minutes he will go back to the guy, explain nicely what he needs to do in a positive way. When we get some players, I look for the team to improve a ton

I am not close enough to Sanchez to know what is going on, but if he can build a team that wins like UVA I donā€™t care if he yells and screams, throws chairs, plays fast or slow, or chews tobacco and spits on the court. Just win.

2 good 3 point shooters on THIS team would have this, yes THIS , team with a winning record. We cannot shoot the ball.

2 Likes

If Supica is our future 4 we are dead. A modern 4 can shoot outside the paint. He canā€™t.

JD had two assists to get to 501.

1 Like

Now #4 all time. Chasing and should catch #3 Byron Dinkins (513) and #2 Keith Williams (515). Pierria Henryā€™s all time record of 566 might be just out of reach.

1 Like

Sadly, JD is one of our best ever whoā€™s had to play on some of our worst ever teams. If we had Danced during his years here, his #3 would be rafter-bound. As it is, it wonā€™t, and shouldnā€™t.

1 Like

Not sure how I would define him but I would be hard pressed to call him one of our best ever. He has a ton of points because heā€™s played on a lot of bad teams where heā€™s the only option or one of the very few options to score. No way I put him in front of Henry, Dink, Jobey, Diego, Jarvis, Demarco or Basdenā€¦and I didnā€™t see Maxwell, Massey or Kinch or the other guys from the '70ā€™s but I doubt heā€™s ahead of them either in terms of what you would call an ā€œall timer.ā€ I would rank him behind Demon and Pierria or at least more in that company. Heā€™s on the listā€¦but certainly outside the top 10 at best. IMO.

I guess even top 20 would still be considered as one of our best everā€¦but certainly I donā€™t think he should be considered as high as he will finish on the scoring chart. Where heā€™ll finish in the scoring chart is misleading in that regardā€¦Heā€™s just scored a lot of points as a 4 year starter on a lot of point deficient teams.

1 Like

I donā€™t think he will be CUSA player of the year on a team this bad, but if he is, Iā€™d like to see us honor him. We all got upset when countless guys left us after strong rookie campaigns. JD could have and should have done that. But he didnā€™t. The dude has the heart of a lion. He will always be one of my favorites, because it takes a grown ass man to do what heā€™s done.

2 Likes