I thought going into the season we had a bowl caliber squad… yesterday showed me our offense and defense (as long as the long- untouched runs were a blip) are plenty good enough to make a bowl a reality… BUT… and it’s a huge but… Special teams play are a massive concern… AGAIN.
We had a 99 yard KO return vs GW for a TD. 1st game jitters? Ok, I can accept that… but it was still way too many guys missing assignments.
App was a disaster.
- Missed Extra Point- yes it was moved back. The penalty was sloppy, but that’s a kick that should still be made
- Punt return game.- non existent. Lyons has 2 returns- his long on the day was minus 1 yard. The other was minus 13 yards.
- Kickoffs- why is VanSickle handling this? He can’t get it to the end zone. I’d rather see them start at the 25 every time than have to roll the dice with our coverage.
- Punt block for a TD- the play-calling before the block deserves its own thread, but. What a killer play. These are the plays that cannot happen.
- The onside kick. Either flawless execution by app or we completely botched it… based on the totality of our special teams play I’m leaning to blown execution.
We can’t continue to be the lesser of 2 teams in Special Teams. It’s a 3rd of the game and it’s not a stretch to says App’s dominating that portion of the game can be directly attributed to the W.
Again, this is a bowl quality team… a bowl quality team that can easily get derailed due to special teams play.