Stadium expansion and 2015 opener?

adding less than 5 k seats isn’t worth the construction cost

Good point.

Just not sure what our real demand looks like right now. Hate to expand and not have the demand to fill it up…that would make us look silly.

Which…given the current status of most Niner athletics, would be about par for the course.

If we do any expansion it will most likely be one deck (+12,500) or both (+25,000). Why do anything that doesn’t fit with the already paid for construction plans?

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:28757”]If we do any expansion it will most likely be one deck (+12,500) or both (+25,000). Why do anything that doesn’t fit with the already paid for construction plans?[/quote]Building one deck to get to 27,000 would look really, really stupid. If we go that route, I would be tremendously disappointed.

Adding 25,000 is way more than we need. We need a stadium that is about 25,000 seats, but if we build one deck that holds 12,500 people, we’re going to take a beautiful stadium and turn it into something that looks awful. I’d much rather see the middle tier added to both sides.

[quote=“Niner National, post:24, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:28757”]If we do any expansion it will most likely be one deck (+12,500) or both (+25,000). Why do anything that doesn’t fit with the already paid for construction plans?[/quote]Building one deck to get to 27,000 would look really, really stupid. If we go that route, I would be tremendously disappointed.

Adding 25,000 is way more than we need. We need a stadium that is about 25,000 seats, but if we build one deck that holds 12,500 people, we’re going to take a beautiful stadium and turn it into something that looks awful. I’d much rather see the middle tier added to both sides.[/quote]

Well unless we want to alter the original design plans (which will add additional costs in design and construction later on) I doubt we see a “middle” tier. Functionality trumps aesthetics when major funding and a modest budget are involved.

[quote=“Niner National, post:24, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:28757”]If we do any expansion it will most likely be one deck (+12,500) or both (+25,000). Why do anything that doesn’t fit with the already paid for construction plans?[/quote]Building one deck to get to 27,000 would look really, really stupid. If we go that route, I would be tremendously disappointed.

Adding 25,000 is way more than we need. We need a stadium that is about 25,000 seats, but if we build one deck that holds 12,500 people, we’re going to take a beautiful stadium and turn it into something that looks awful. I’d much rather see the middle tier added to both sides.[/quote]

Everything is proportionally incorrect on campus, what’s wrong if the stadium makes it painfully obvious? :wink:

I am curious how they are planning on paying for any expansion. The scope and type of expansion I would imagine will be heavily dependent on the fund available.

Some of the renderings had what looked like “non-permanent” bleachers. I would rather do this to get to 20k or so than build an entire side.

NC State used something similar when they were going through their expansion a few years back and they didn’t look too bad.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:28, topic:28757”]Some of the renderings had what looked like “non-permanent” bleachers. I would rather do this to get to 20k or so than build an entire side.

NC State used something similar when they were going through their expansion a few years back and they didn’t look too bad.[/quote]I agree completely Mr. B.

If we’re going to half ass something, it might as well be half assed temporarily and for cheap.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:27, topic:28757”]I am curious how they are planning on paying for any expansion. The scope and type of expansion I would imagine will be heavily dependent on the fund available.[/quote]Well, if they were to just build the middle tier on each side, it probably wouldn’t be outrageously expensive. Much of the cost with the 40,000 upgrade would come in the form of the suites, new press box, and all the things associated with that. Not to mention a significant need for more bathrooms and concessions at that level.

Presumably, if we just did the middle tier on each side, it would just be steel/aluminum supports with little in the way of infrastructure upgrades.

Funds would have to come from somewhere, but we’ll probably have a million + flowing in each year for playing P5 teams, more money from CUSA than we did in the A10, and increased donations through the required donations associated with FSLs.

I’m sure they can come up with a creative way to fund it.

[quote=“Niner National, post:30, topic:28757”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:27, topic:28757”]I am curious how they are planning on paying for any expansion. The scope and type of expansion I would imagine will be heavily dependent on the fund available.[/quote]Well, if they were to just build the middle tier on each side, it probably wouldn’t be outrageously expensive. Much of the cost with the 40,000 upgrade would come in the form of the suites, new press box, and all the things associated with that. Not to mention a significant need for more bathrooms and concessions at that level.

Presumably, if we just did the middle tier on each side, it would just be steel/aluminum supports with little in the way of infrastructure upgrades.

Funds would have to come from somewhere, but we’ll probably have a million + flowing in each year for playing P5 teams, more money from CUSA than we did in the A10, and increased donations through the required donations associated with FSLs.

I’m sure they can come up with a creative way to fund it.[/quote]

Not to mention Richardson’s 10 Mil that is currently generating some investment income.

I’d like to see us do a temporary fix, but a purchase instead of a rent.

Match what Mr. B has posted above use them for football them move them to the baseball stadium behind/above the dugouts after that season and leave them there.

Temp seats probably means further delay of lights though.

Since NN said they delayed the lights because:

designed to be [b]dependent on expansion[/b] rather than standalone, hence why they were delayed this summer.

Then I can only conclude that any lights “dependent on expansion” will use the structure of a deck to also hold the lights, like Williams-Brice Stadium. Pole lights, like the ones in the renderings, can be put up without a deck.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:33, topic:28757”]Since NN said they delayed the lights because:

designed to be [b]dependent on expansion[/b] rather than standalone, hence why they were delayed this summer.

Then I can only conclude that any lights “dependent on expansion” will use the structure of a deck to also hold the lights, like Williams-Brice Stadium. Pole lights, like the ones in the renderings, can be put up without a deck.[/quote]No, I said Rulz said that. I have no idea if it is accurate.

[quote=“Niner National, post:30, topic:28757”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:27, topic:28757”]I am curious how they are planning on paying for any expansion. The scope and type of expansion I would imagine will be heavily dependent on the fund available.[/quote]Well, if they were to just build the middle tier on each side, it probably wouldn’t be outrageously expensive. Much of the cost with the 40,000 upgrade would come in the form of the suites, new press box, and all the things associated with that. Not to mention a significant need for more bathrooms and concessions at that level.

I am sure they can come up with something - I just wanted to point out that funding matters and based on Judy’s track record she won’t half ass this. The reason why we didn’t have temp seats this past year was she didn’t want to put porta johns in the stadium. What that tells me is what ever she will do will be nice, will cost a decent amount of money and will probably come with adding some other things like bathrooms and concessions. I haven’t heard where we are in just fully funding the scholarships needed for football. There was talk at the CUSA announcement that conf money would help offset the increased $ of scholarships.

You start adding things up across campus - updating Halton, indoor batting, football stadium expansion - even the little things add up. That doesnt even include the money needed for the scholarships for womens teams we have to be preparing for. We can’t raise student fees any higher, Richardson’s cash - based on my understanding is strictly investment income and leaving the initial investment alone, FSL holders aren’t likely to dump any more money in for capital improvements and what increased donating that did occur was needed just for the program to run. I am just curious how they will pay for expansion - high ticket prices? increased $ to lock in seats? High parking pass prices? More games against power schools? I am sure it can be done - just would like to know what their plan is.

As we have said the biggest problem is both our fanbase and our big donors, including students are tapped out. The bottom line is if they want to add on to the stadium they need to go find some new big donors, increase not only the $ coming into the club but the # of members and more season ticket holders.

Biggest cost would be restrooms for compliance, IIRC. We had one restroom pillbox that we didnt build on student side, I believe, due to lack of funds. That wouldn’t be enough, but you’d probably start by building that one and then a few more.

I’m down with the middle tier deck idea - but as we have so often argued and debated, in the design sketch, the middle tier on the almni side is much smaller because it is built on top of the existing press box like in this rendering:

The grey area in the middle on the left is the existing press box (that would be converted to suites in 40k mode) plus empty space on sides of it (accessibility? Or temp bleachers?)

Compare that with the middle tier on the student side:

Also, I assume we wouldn’t be doing any of the exterior upgrades, such as the brick arched walkway ring in place of the current exterior fence? (see bottom photo) Or the other exterior upgrades as below:

Really, we just need to see a 25k rendering if they go that route. Too many questions.

clt says we are designing our stadium at a good time.

The majority of schools are seeing issues with attendance from students and others. clt thinks a stadium of 40k rowdy folks with a strong demand, is much preferred over 50k+ in the eastern half of the state.

I agree with this. What if it’s just 25k though? Will that fly?

[quote=“Gassman, post:38, topic:28757”]I agree with this. What if it’s just 25k though? Will that fly?[/quote]I’d rather go to 25k and build up demand and keep it a hot ticket than above that and not have a full house.

No problem with that logic… but what if the AAC told us they wanted us in their conference but we had to have a stadium larger than 25,000? I’m not saying it will happen. I’m just saying “What if?”. I assume everyone would be in favor of a larger stadium even if it meant not being full for every game. I’m just thinking ahead.