Starcraft 2

I don’t play Battlefield, CoD or Halo really. I have played with a group of competitive Halo players and let me tell you, they were talking so fast I couldn’t hear myself think. It wasn’t fun for me, because I’m not really a FPS player, but it was very impressive and they were raping constantly.

The 14 year olds are the LCD and are bottom barrel players. They aren’t competitive players and they get the snot beat out of them when you play at higher levels. I would invite you to play a round of Gears with some of my friends, but I guarentee you you would hate it. You’d be dead instantly, possibly the second you left spawn. Once you get to the top, everyone knows how to shoot, it’s the tactics that win games. You don’t have to believe it. But they are called tactical shooters for a reason.

As far as RTS go on consoles:

Halo Wars - 82 overall
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/halowars

Tropico 3 - 75 overall
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/tropico3

C&C3: Tiberium Wars - 82 overall
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/commandandconquer3tiberiumwars

C&C3: Red Alert - 77 overall
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/commandandconquerredalert3

No, not up to the PC’s standards yet, but they are getting there.

Halo Wars is decent. Feels a little like SC-lite but the controls are solid for a controllers.

I agree that RTS will eventually move to the console just like FPS have. SC2 doesn’t require much in the way of specs but already at least one person in this thread stated they can’t play it. It’s just way easier for the average person to buy an XBox 360 and know they can play every game that comes out for it on their big screen TV.

[quote=“NovaNiner, post:22, topic:23173”]Halo Wars is decent. Feels a little like SC-lite but the controls are solid for a controllers.

I agree that RTS will eventually move to the console just like FPS have. SC2 doesn’t require much in the way of specs but already at least one person in this thread stated they can’t play it. It’s just way easier for the average person to buy an XBox 360 and know they can play every game that comes out for it on their big screen TV.[/quote]

Yep.

Plus developers love consoles because piracy isn’t as rampant. MMOs have saved PC video gaming, though.

How your guys find the energy I have no idea. After working all day, picking up two kids, feeding them, getting them bathed, reading/practicing ABC’s etc with them and finally getting them to bed, I am dog tired. Man, life after college is brutal.[/quote]

I don’t find it to be much harder to click a few buttons on my mouse than stare at a TV or eBook.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:23, topic:23173”][quote=“NovaNiner, post:22, topic:23173”]Halo Wars is decent. Feels a little like SC-lite but the controls are solid for a controllers.

I agree that RTS will eventually move to the console just like FPS have. SC2 doesn’t require much in the way of specs but already at least one person in this thread stated they can’t play it. It’s just way easier for the average person to buy an XBox 360 and know they can play every game that comes out for it on their big screen TV.[/quote]

Yep.

Plus developers love consoles because piracy isn’t as rampant. MMOs have saved PC video gaming, though.[/quote]

Yep another place where consoles haven’t figured it out yet but will. SC2 is the first game I’ve played on the comp since WC3.

They have it figured out. You can mod any system. but that’s just it, you have to mod a system. PCs come piracy ready. PSP was almost ruined by piracy. Nintendo released the DSI because people figured out you could already do everything a DSI can do with a simple card in a regular DS.

Piracy on consoles just requires too much work. If you make it as easy as it was on the Dreamcast, your system will have the same result.

They have it figured out. You can mod any system. but that’s just it, you have to mod a system. PCs come piracy ready. PSP was almost ruined by piracy. Nintendo released the DSI because people figured out you could already do everything a DSI can do with a simple card in a regular DS.

Piracy on consoles just requires too much work. If you make it as easy as it was on the Dreamcast, your system will have the same result.[/quote]

I meant that consoles haven’t figured out MMOs yet.

Got’cha.

Yeah, Final Fantasy has tried with a ltitle success. Someone will figure that out too.

is hoping this doesn’t evolve to the console vs pc arguement again.

never got into the original SC… played WC3 for a bit though. (really just biding my time til D3 comes out).

I’m fairly certain that SC is my favorite game of all time. It wasnt just the multiplayer. The single player campaigns had a great set of storylines, and the backstory for the game was deeper than a lot of sci-fi movies these days. Avatar is very shallow compared to the original SC & BW storyline (Kerrigan, Jim Raynor, Tassadar…).

WC3 was very good, but not great. It was well done and they tried to make it a blend of games with more focus on hero units. But it wasnt the same as SC. SC is a classic RTS that involves large scale battles at a very quick pace. The numbers of units on the screen in SC can easily dwarf WC, and that’s the point.

The only game Ive ever come close to playing as much as SC was battlefied, and thats only if you add all the sequels together - 42, Nam, #2, 43, etc.

BTW, if you do play, what’s your favorite race? I could never micro well enough to be a great terran player (can’t play offense aggressively enough, but I can turtle like a friggin champ tho). I like zerg, but Protoss was easily my favorite. The guys who did the voice acting for them ruled.

En Taro Adun! Warp field stabilized! Carrier has arrived! My Life for Aiur!

If you played, you remember those, guaranteed.

(Terran were the funniest though) “I’m about to dispense some indiscriminate justice” “How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit”

Agree although DotA extended the time I played WC3 (used the disk anyway) by a good bit.

BTW, if you do play, what's your favorite race?

Toss, Zerg, Terran in that order in the original. Too early to tell on the new one.

Funny I thought most good Terran players were turtles until they rolled out cruisers/nukes. Zerg was all about offense, offense, offense. Without today’s player matching you could beat 5/10 players with a zergling rush and another 3/10 with a subsequent hydra rush.

The really good terran players could micro sci vessels, a shuttle, two ghosts and a pack of marines/medics along with a vulture and a tank or two, to devestating effect.

I played one amazing american terran player (most were korean). He let me pick my race and have a 1 minute headstart. He also let me pick two units he couldnt use. I picked protoss and told him firebats and BCs. I was a damn good toss player and he eviscerated me with two groups of units. I barely managed to kill any of them, and when I did, he had the replacement ready in seconds. He also had 8 bases to my 2 at the end of a very short game. He played vultures and especially sceince vessels better than anyone I’ve ever seen. His timing and placement were so good that he could drop your protoss shields a second before a nuke hit the same spot. Ive never lost so many mobile units to ghosts/nukes before. He’d corral me with nukes and I’d miss a 3rd or 4th launch and then a sci vessel would EMP me and bam… whole army gone. He’d spider mine spawn points, bottlenecks and all expansions. I shuttle dropped 2 reavers and 4 dark templar on his peon line in his main base and my units died before I could react. I think he killed me with a scan, two siege tanks and a handful of cloaked wraiths in under 3 secs. I think he might have spider mined the area too. Dude was incredible.

Agree although DotA extended the time I played WC3 (used the disk anyway) by a good bit. [/quote]

this x100. pretty much the only game i play right now on the pc is Heroes of Newerth. if you play/played DotA, check it out. its $$$. that and the occasional TF2 on steam when i don’t have time for a full HoN game.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:10, topic:23173”][quote=“Gill2003, post:7, topic:23173”]I used to play starcraft back in the day.

I don’t think my computer is up to date enough to run starcraft anymore, since I started gaming on consoles I haven’t really kept up my computer. I wonder…[/quote]

New one is a mdoern 3D game. Im not sure what the specs are, but I have a decent little machine (dual core Athlon 5600/4GB DDR/9800 GT) and it was churnin hard to play it.

I like this better than my 360 games. I burned out on CoD/BF:BC really fast. I’ve whined before about it, but those games are all reflexes and not much thinking. Those crazy Korean kids play SC like that, with everything hotkeyed, and I cant hang, but against average joes, the smarter, barsher player usually wins. I just cant find anything on the 360 that keeps me interested for more than a couple weeks. Even madden, etc.[/quote]

No doubt, I got hooked into ‘Total Annihilation’ around the SC era. To this day, I’ll get back into Total Annihilation for a couple skirmish rounds. Something about these battlefield general type games keeps me hooked. I think i’ll be waiting till a get a new PC for this game :frowning:

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:31, topic:23173”]BTW, if you do play, what’s your favorite race? I could never micro well enough to be a great terran player (can’t play offense aggressively enough, but I can turtle like a friggin champ tho). I like zerg, but Protoss was easily my favorite. The guys who did the voice acting for them ruled.

En Taro Adun! Warp field stabilized! Carrier has arrived! My Life for Aiur!

If you played, you remember those, guaranteed.

(Terran were the funniest though) “I’m about to dispense some indiscriminate justice” “How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit”[/quote]

Originally I would play Terran and basically build up a mass and go on the offensive. Then I did a run and gun type offense with Zerg, basically hoping I could over run people.

Can’t say I was any good though…

In SC1, I’d always play FMP maps and UMS if i got bored. Wasn’t really into the slow min maps. Games were too long, and after SC had been out for 10 years, the online community had gravitated to FMP and UMS.

Never played Brood war all that much either, because I wasn’t big into the new units thrown out in that one. I finally quit playing SC1 since it was eat up by map hackers. I find it funny that this game is finally coming out, since what it seems was like 2 years or maybe even 3 years ago, a guy in Gamestop was asking me if I wanted to reserve SC2, lmao.

I know I like video games and played Diablo like it was my job but you guys totally sound like nerds in this thread haha

I know this is a thread about starcraft, but I just found out a few weeks ago that Civilization 5 comes out in the fall and I fully expect to neglect the majority of my responsibilities at home for a month or so when it comes out. That is the most addictive game of all time.

I was thinking the same thing.