Steph Curry even fooled the NBA

Looks like Steph is doing it again. A couple of months ago Curry was behind Evans, Jennings, Flynn and even Ty Lawson. But now it appears it is a 2 man race between him and Evans to win Rookie of the Year. Some are thinking that Curry has made enough of a late season push to win it.

Personally, I’d give it to Evans. Curry has been unbelievably impressive. What hurts him? The team he plays on. It’s not his fault, but it has to be taken into consideration. They recently had an NBDL call up in Reggie Williams, who’s averaging almost the same as Curry in points, 16ppg. His defense also hurts his cause. What helps? He’s a better assist man than anybody thought he would be.

Late pushes other than Curry? Darren Collison, Marcus Thornton and Rodrigue Beaubois.

Dell had his vote for the award pulled by the NBA. Every voter will have an angle, why should Dell’s be voided?

Yeah, I don’t get that at all. You know school ties, agents, etc, play a role in these votes.

[quote=“Normmm, post:1, topic:23056”]Looks like Steph is doing it again. A couple of months ago Curry was behind Evans, Jennings, Flynn and even Ty Lawson. But now it appears it is a 2 man race between him and Evans to win Rookie of the Year. Some are thinking that Curry has made enough of a late season push to win it.

Personally, I’d give it to Evans. Curry has been unbelievably impressive. What hurts him? The team he plays on. It’s not his fault, but it has to be taken into consideration. They recently had an NBDL call up in Reggie Williams, who’s averaging almost the same as Curry in points, 16ppg. His defense also hurts his cause. What helps? He’s a better assist man than anybody thought he would be.

Late pushes other than Curry? Darren Collison, Marcus Thornton and Rodrigue Beaubois.[/quote]

Well to be honest, Reggie Williams is a player, lead the nation in scoring in college at VMI. With his size and scoring ability, I was kind of surprised he wasn’t in the league sooner. How can you use the “team” argument against Curry when Sacramento was just as bad as Golden State.

Scoring Avg is not a good barometer for the Warriors with Don at the helm. You just have to watch him play to see how good he is. He’s a PG that dribble penetrates and makes spectacular dishes to guys under the basket. He can hit jab step threes, too.

Not to mention, he has to do this while conserving energy and fouls since the Warriors played 6-7 guys for most of the year. McKillop should be flogging himself for not having Curry at PG.

[quote=“cakewalk5, post:5, topic:23056”]Scoring Avg is not a good barometer for the Warriors with Don at the helm. You just have to watch him play to see how good he is. He’s a PG that dribble penetrates and makes spectacular dishes to guys under the basket. He can hit jab step threes, too.

Not to mention, he has to do this while conserving energy and fouls since the Warriors played 6-7 guys for most of the year. McKillop should be flogging himself for not having Curry at PG.[/quote]

Curry played PG his junior year. They had a great PG the year they went to the elite 8.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:6, topic:23056”][quote=“cakewalk5, post:5, topic:23056”]Scoring Avg is not a good barometer for the Warriors with Don at the helm. You just have to watch him play to see how good he is. He’s a PG that dribble penetrates and makes spectacular dishes to guys under the basket. He can hit jab step threes, too.

Not to mention, he has to do this while conserving energy and fouls since the Warriors played 6-7 guys for most of the year. McKillop should be flogging himself for not having Curry at PG.[/quote]

Curry played PG his junior year. They had a great PG the year they went to the elite 8.[/quote]

That’s right. Although, Curry did help that PG’s assist rate with his crazy threes. :slight_smile:

[quote=“cakewalk5, post:7, topic:23056”][quote=“Powerbait, post:6, topic:23056”][quote=“cakewalk5, post:5, topic:23056”]Scoring Avg is not a good barometer for the Warriors with Don at the helm. You just have to watch him play to see how good he is. He’s a PG that dribble penetrates and makes spectacular dishes to guys under the basket. He can hit jab step threes, too.

Curry played PG his junior year. They had a great PG the year they went to the elite 8.[/quote]

That’s right. Although, Curry did help that PG’s assist rate with his crazy threes. :)[/quote]

He did, but their J Rich was better at PG in college than Curry was. He opened up Curry’s game a ton too. He’s a big reason they went as far as they did in the tournament. Without him (when Curry was running the point), they didn’t even make the NCAA tournament.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:8, topic:23056”][quote=“cakewalk5, post:7, topic:23056”][quote=“Powerbait, post:6, topic:23056”][quote=“cakewalk5, post:5, topic:23056”]Scoring Avg is not a good barometer for the Warriors with Don at the helm. You just have to watch him play to see how good he is. He’s a PG that dribble penetrates and makes spectacular dishes to guys under the basket. He can hit jab step threes, too.

That’s right. Although, Curry did help that PG’s assist rate with his crazy threes. :)[/quote]

He did, but their J Rich was better at PG in college than Curry was. He opened up Curry’s game a ton too. He’s a big reason they went as far as they did in the tournament. Without him (when Curry was running the point), they didn’t even make the NCAA tournament.[/quote]

Think that was a product of the quality and age around him, too.

Nelson lead teams are notoriously known for putting up points. He also got a ton of minutes. For instance Curry played 36mpg, while Flynn played 28, Collison 28, Jennings 32, Lawson only 20.

Nelson lead teams are notoriously known for putting up points. He also got a ton of minutes. For instance Curry played 36mpg, while Flynn played 28, Collison 28, Jennings 32, Lawson only 20.[/quote]

And Evans has played 37 mpg. It’s down to Curry and Evans, if Collison would’ve played a full season, he would probably be right there too.

Nelson lead teams are notoriously known for putting up points. He also got a ton of minutes. For instance Curry played 36mpg, while Flynn played 28, Collison 28, Jennings 32, Lawson only 20.[/quote]

And Evans has played 37 mpg. It’s down to Curry and Evans, if Collison would’ve played a full season, he would probably be right there too.[/quote]

Agreed. Just saying playing on GS has helped him. I didn’t put Evans because I don’t believe he was projected as a “true” PG, like the other guys I listed. Sac plays Udrih at the PG. That’s not Curry’s fault and shouldn’t prevent him from being a candidate. Just that he was fortunate to be in the PG situation he is in compared to the others.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:4, topic:23056”][quote=“Normmm, post:1, topic:23056”]Looks like Steph is doing it again. A couple of months ago Curry was behind Evans, Jennings, Flynn and even Ty Lawson. But now it appears it is a 2 man race between him and Evans to win Rookie of the Year. Some are thinking that Curry has made enough of a late season push to win it.

Late pushes other than Curry? Darren Collison, Marcus Thornton and Rodrigue Beaubois.[/quote]
Well to be honest, Reggie Williams is a player, lead the nation in scoring in college at VMI. With his size and scoring ability, I was kind of surprised he wasn’t in the league sooner. How can you use the “team” argument against Curry when Sacramento was just as bad as Golden State.[/quote]

Half their roster is call ups from the D-League. They are a rotation of 10 day contracts.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:13, topic:23056”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:4, topic:23056”][quote=“Normmm, post:1, topic:23056”]Looks like Steph is doing it again. A couple of months ago Curry was behind Evans, Jennings, Flynn and even Ty Lawson. But now it appears it is a 2 man race between him and Evans to win Rookie of the Year. Some are thinking that Curry has made enough of a late season push to win it.

Well to be honest, Reggie Williams is a player, lead the nation in scoring in college at VMI. With his size and scoring ability, I was kind of surprised he wasn’t in the league sooner. How can you use the “team” argument against Curry when Sacramento was just as bad as Golden State.[/quote]

Half their roster is call ups from the D-League. They are a rotation of 10 day contracts.[/quote]

And those D League players actually played pretty well for them. Tolliver, Hunter, and Williams have contributed.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:14, topic:23056”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:13, topic:23056”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:4, topic:23056”][quote=“Normmm, post:1, topic:23056”]Looks like Steph is doing it again. A couple of months ago Curry was behind Evans, Jennings, Flynn and even Ty Lawson. But now it appears it is a 2 man race between him and Evans to win Rookie of the Year. Some are thinking that Curry has made enough of a late season push to win it.

Half their roster is call ups from the D-League. They are a rotation of 10 day contracts.[/quote]

And those D League players actually played pretty well for them. Tolliver, Hunter, and Williams have contributed.[/quote]

Butt he fact remains that they are D-Leaguers, when all other teams are playing NBA players.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:14, topic:23056”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:13, topic:23056”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:4, topic:23056”][quote=“Normmm, post:1, topic:23056”]Looks like Steph is doing it again. A couple of months ago Curry was behind Evans, Jennings, Flynn and even Ty Lawson. But now it appears it is a 2 man race between him and Evans to win Rookie of the Year. Some are thinking that Curry has made enough of a late season push to win it.

And those D League players actually played pretty well for them. Tolliver, Hunter, and Williams have contributed.[/quote]

That’s b/c Curry throws dimes to them under the basket. The Warriors would be fighting the record of 7 wins without Curry.

One big difference between Evans and Curry? Look at Evans shooting percentage away from the basket. Defenders lay off of him so he cannot drive as well. Shoots under 30% from three. You lay off Curry by a foot, he kills you with the three. Press him on D, he blows by and finds the open man.

[quote=“cakewalk5, post:16, topic:23056”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:14, topic:23056”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:13, topic:23056”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:4, topic:23056”][quote=“Normmm, post:1, topic:23056”]Looks like Steph is doing it again. A couple of months ago Curry was behind Evans, Jennings, Flynn and even Ty Lawson. But now it appears it is a 2 man race between him and Evans to win Rookie of the Year. Some are thinking that Curry has made enough of a late season push to win it.

That’s b/c Curry throws dimes to them under the basket. The Warriors would be fighting the record of 7 wins without Curry.

One big difference between Evans and Curry? Look at Evans shooting percentage away from the basket. Defenders lay off of him so he cannot drive as well. Shoots under 30% from three. You lay off Curry by a foot, he kills you with the three. Press him on D, he blows by and finds the open man.[/quote]

Next year I might get the NBA package. Those two are fun to watch, but are hardly on regular cable.

[quote=“cakewalk5, post:16, topic:23056”]That’s b/c Curry throws dimes to them under the basket. The Warriors would be fighting the record of 7 wins without Curry.

One big difference between Evans and Curry? Look at Evans shooting percentage away from the basket. Defenders lay off of him so he cannot drive as well. Shoots under 30% from three. You lay off Curry by a foot, he kills you with the three. Press him on D, he blows by and finds the open man.[/quote]

You think? Honestly, I don’t know who I’d build the franchise around, Evans or Curry. I see Evans kind of like Lebron, and Curry kind of like Nash. I think Evans would do a better job of stopping Curry, than vice versa. But tough call.

[quote=“Normmm, post:18, topic:23056”][quote=“cakewalk5, post:16, topic:23056”]That’s b/c Curry throws dimes to them under the basket. The Warriors would be fighting the record of 7 wins without Curry.

You think? Honestly, I don’t know who I’d build the franchise around, Evans or Curry. I see Evans kind of like Lebron, and Curry kind of like Nash. I think Evans would do a better job of stopping Curry, than vice versa. But tough call.[/quote]

Unfortunately, we won’t see Curry on defense to make a judgment until Nelson leaves. He’s been on the radio here that his philosophy for this team is that they can’t stop the other team so they should just outscore the opponent. Oaktown bball at it’s finest. :frowning:

The suns seem to be pretty good at outscoring teams.