Strength of the A10

With the exception of Fordham and Duquesne the A10 is a pretty strong league that could easily merit 3-5 NCAA bids. With George Washington, Xavier, La Salle, and St. Joe’s playing as well as they are we may have an incredibly difficult time winning this league.

I know a lot of people looked at the A10 last year and said “We will dominate” but now the league will be incredibly tough. We always struggle v Saint Louis, Rhode Island is 4-1, Dayton is really playing well too.

These team will continue getting better because they are all very young, Dayton is a great example of that, mostly sophomores.

Good Luck Niners, you will need it come conference season.

The A10 is a hellova league. It has been for the past several years.

Charlotte may be only the 4th-5th best team in this league.

GW can play.

St. Joes was impressive last night.

XU is a damn good team this year. Barring injuries to the Musketeers, a win on Jan 14th will be as impressive as any win Coach Lutz has achieved at Charlotte…but, at best, it will likely merit only the bottom of page 1 on the sports page.

I’m sure I’m in the minority with this statement, but I think this will be the most competitive conference season that Coach Lutz has participated in at Charlotte.

Take it for what it’s worth, but Dicky V mentioned that the A10 could get 4 teams into the dance this year, last night during St. Joe’s game. He also mentioned us and said we have struggled this year. Now that’s an understatement!!

GW is on a mission and X took Illinois to the wire at home -> Some impressive teams. Hope we can keep improving and press these guys.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;143304]With the exception of Fordham and Duquesne the A10 is a pretty strong league that could easily merit 3-5 NCAA bids. With George Washington, Xavier, La Salle, and St. Joe’s playing as well as they are we may have an incredibly difficult time winning this league.[/QUOTE]

We will be LUCKY to finish 5th or better…unless we get ALOT better and FAST.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;143314]We will be LUCKY to finish 5th or better…unless we get ALOT better and FAST.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was gonna say. Maybe this is a good thing. Our school/ program/team/coach/fan psyche has always been that of the underdog. We have historically tended to achieve more when less was expected. By the same token, we have flopped miserably when we’re perceived “on top”. (See our results since being ranked 18th last year til now.) Well we SHOULD be the underdog in almost EVERY game we play from here on out, perceived or not. It’s not gonna be easy and I think it will get downright nasty, but we can still make the NCAAs, though I’m not convinced.

I imagine we’ll lose a lot of games and then have an amazing streak to win the conference tourney. Go in as a 10 seed and beat #7 NC State in the first round. Then we’ll win the national championship after we beat Duke by 1 point in 7OTs

Without hijacking the thread, I would like to take this quote:

GW is on a mission and X took Illinois to the wire at home → Some impressive teams.

and just simply point out that while this is not the same poster, others on this board discount the Tar Heels taking Illinois to the wire at home (then beating Kentucky) and then go on to say that they don’t belong in the Top 25.

We have a very schizo board. Either a near-loss to Illinois is impressive, or it isn’t. I say it is. It certainly would be viewed as impressive had it been the 49ers, not the Heels. I think we make ourselves look bad by making statements like that on this board.

That’s all.

You may now continue talking about how impressive our league is.

X/Illinois game was actually in Chicago not on their home court in Champaign, but a solid outing by Xavier.

I don’t think the Illini are playing top15 ball right now but belong in the 16-25 range. They may not get tested again until BigTen play.

^^^lol, hell yeah thats awesome

Going into this season, I figured we’d finish anywhere from 1st to 6th in the A-10. Right now I’d put GW and X as the class of the league, with Charlotte, Dayton, St. Joe’s, and Temple (and perhaps UMass) in the next group.

Bona has already doubled their win total of last year (without their touted transfer from West Viriginia, Tyler Relph, who is injured) and Rhode Island just needs one more win to equal the six victories in 04-05. Richmond seems to be getting the hang of the Princeton offense and I’m even surprised at how well Saint Louis is doing. La Salle is definitely playing well and won’t be a pushover.

Not sure if Fordham will be able to turn things around, even when they get 3 players eligible after the fall semester (2 freshmen and 1 transfer from Boston College). Duquesne will finish last and thus the Danny Nee era will be over in Pittsburgh.

This will be an interesting year in the A-10, no doubt.

I wonder if the A10 still wants us??

P.S Fordham wins at Virginia tonight. Dayton wins by 25.

refs sure didnt do SLU any favors this evening. I was amazed how many questionable calls went the heels way… well maybe not amazed:dry:

SLU appears to be every bit as good as UNC, the 24th best team.

[QUOTE=anipalcraig;143432]SLU appears to be every bit as good as UNC, the 24th best team.[/QUOTE]

Fell apart down the stretch… I was really impressed with how athletic SLU seemed to be. They looked good!!!

Yea…the A-10 was a terrible move for us…the league is horrible.

SLU appears to be every bit as good as UNC, the 24th best team.
If that game was held in Saint Louis, they win by Billikens by 3. Saint Louis should at least be recieving votes if Chapel Hill is 24th.