Summer Job Needed: Alum

Greetings all,

I am looking for a summer job, and didn’t know if anyone on here had any needs at their companies for a position to be filled, just temporarily. I am a 2006 graduate, and currently looking for summer work only because I am entering my final year of law school this coming fall.

I would really like to make some decent money, and work inside, not doing sales or retail if possible. I am a very hard worker, detail oriented, and can do pretty much any job that is placed before me that is not very background intensive.

I got a job offer for a law firm, but it was for an unpaid internship, I know several firms have cut their summer programs out completely. I have all but given up on finding a legal job for the summer, but I do need to make some money, and I’d prefer not to bag groceries at Harris Teeter :frowning:

Thanks for looking.

Take the internship and wait tables on the weekends for rent money.

I’m not kidding. The internship is too important to your future job prospects, unless you already have an angle.

Suck it up. I know its hard, but do it.

Take the internship and wait tables on the weekends for rent money.

I’m not kidding. The internship is too important to your future job prospects, unless you already have an angle.

Suck it up. I know its hard, but do it.

Well said.

Don’t forget that most internships turn into jobs. Not to mention the connections you will make in the industry.

wow, i thought the entertainment industry was the only one with unpaid internships.

medical interns make decent money, but legal interns work for free? that sucks.

i have to agree with NA and GL here, take the internship. the internship i had at a law firm last summer was the most rewarding job i’ve ever had, not to mention i got a stellar letter of recommendation out of it and i got to meet lots of other attorneys and district court justices. its worth it man.
just wondering: where do you go to law school?

I wouldn’t care about un-paid internships, no matter what career you go in. I wish I could turn back the clock and complete one…I graduated in Dec 07 from Charlotte and STILL on the job search. Internships are so valuable because you make connections, and gain relevant experience. Good luck to you

It was harder for me considering my area of study. I did an internship with our Athletic dept. and the Speedway and still haven’t found work doing what I wanted to do: Public Relations or Mass Media. Oh well. I imagine it would definitely be different doing an internship for a Law Firm. I share your pain because unpaid suck but everyone asks about what kind experience do you have. Plus it’s all about who you know.

I got a job offer for a law firm, but it was for an unpaid internship
You've already invested 6 or 7 years in your career. Don't blow it by not participating in what could be more beneficial than any class you've taken.

Well the thing is, I did a Spring Internship there, and it is public service, so I don’t necessarily want to take a job offer from there when I graduate based on the $$ starting. I don’t know that continuing an internship there will help me immensely

Legal internships are a very particular beast. I would never pass one up if you cannot replace it with another one, paid or unpaid.

Let me put it to you another way: when you sit for your Bar Association interview, before taking the exam, you’ll be meeting with currently practicing attorneys. They’ll ask you where you’ve worked so far. If you don’t have a good answer, you’re going to get “the look”, and it’s not a nice feeling.

All that matters is that you have a good resume of experience, with the right names on it. The paid part barely matters.

NA, just give me a job already.

I would not have my job today if it weren’t for my unpaid internship that I did this past summer. Internships are incredibly valuable.

I guess my point is, that I completely understand internships are incredibly valuable. My question is, will continuing the same internship over the summer help me any more? I already have experience in virtually all of the types of work they practice there.

Take the internship… money or no money (easier said than done, especially if you have financial obligations, but it’ll pay in the long run)

I wouldn’t have gotten my job at the bank if I didn’t do an internship I got with them last summer. With no experience, it is HARD to find a job. An internship will set you apart from those with no internship. Also, if you don’t have an internship, that’s putting you below all those that do. Anything you can do to market yourself positively on paper, do it. Your resume most of the time will get you an interview, after that it’s personality…imo.

[QUOTE=cibik02;318225]Take the internship… money or no money (easier said than done, especially if you have financial obligations, but it’ll pay in the long run)

I wouldn’t have gotten my job at the bank if I didn’t do an internship I got with them last summer. With no experience, it is HARD to find a job. An internship will set you apart from those with no internship. Also, if you don’t have an internship, that’s putting you below all those that do. Anything you can do to market yourself positively on paper, do it. Your resume most of the time will get you an interview, after that it’s personality…imo.[/QUOTE]

Very true, My uncle does a good bit of hiring, especially engineers, and he said he wouldn’t even look at them if they hadn’t at least done two internships. Internships go a long way, even if you don’t get paid anything. It is very rough though trying to intern, pay bills, and have fun all at the same time.

My main concern is that I have a mortgage, and a lot more bills than most people my age do, and parents who don’t help me out at all. I’ll see what happens, I am going to try one more thing first. I dunno what I’m gonna do. I appreciate the advice guys. I’m just looking at things from a practical perspective.

a mortgage at your age? as a student? Wow, that must be hard to handle.

I’ve had it since I was 19. I bought a condo at 19, I was working 40-60ish hours a week and a full time student. When I got to law school couldn’t do it anymore.

I actually have two mortgages, because I jointly own a duplex with my uncle. Luckily it is rented out and the property management company handles that, so less for me to worry about.

But yea, that is part of the reason that I am so stressed out about cash. I’ve never been anywhere near this broke before.

It was harder for me considering my area of study. I did an internship with our Athletic dept. and the Speedway and still haven't found work doing what I wanted to do: Public Relations or Mass Media. Oh well. I imagine it would definitely be different doing an internship for a Law Firm. I share your pain because unpaid suck but everyone asks about what kind experience do you have. Plus it's all about who you know.

Have you tried Octagon sports marketing for Nascar up in Huntersville?

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;318287]I’ve had it since I was 19. I bought a condo at 19, I was working 40-60ish hours a week and a full time student. When I got to law school couldn’t do it anymore.

I actually have two mortgages, because I jointly own a duplex with my uncle. Luckily it is rented out and the property management company handles that, so less for me to worry about.

But yea, that is part of the reason that I am so stressed out about cash. I’ve never been anywhere near this broke before.[/QUOTE]
nice, where is it?