Supporting actor who steals the movie

[quote=“NLP, post:17, topic:26171”][quote=“9erken, post:15, topic:26171”]I would think “Stealing” implies that they outshined the lead actor/actress. E.g. Dennis Hopper was good in Hoosiers, but he didn’t outshine Hackman.

I’d suggest Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinnie, Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men, Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive, Haley Joel Osment in the Sixth Sense, or Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

The biggest outshining I can think of was probably Sean Connery in The Untouchables, though that was partly because I thought Kevin Costner was not very good at all.[/quote]

Marisa ‘stole’ a few scenes in The Wrestler too if you know what I mean.[/quote]

She defintiely “outshined” in a few scenes.

clt provides will ferrell in zoolander.

Heath Ledger…Dark knight

Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator. Sure, Russell Crowe was also fantastic but the best part of that movie imo is Phoenix’s crazy ass Caesar character. Travesty that he didn’t win best supporting that year (same for Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction). I mean Traffic was good and all but can any of you even remember what Benicio Del Toro did in that movie? It frustrates me when they get it SO wrong.

It’s not really difficult to steal a serious movie away from Kevin Costner. His range is limited, though he had some good performances within his range.

Agreed I was stupefied when Del Toro won that. Maybe just recognition for his work in The Usual Suspects which was unique.

Hollywood is a machine and a fraternity. They want and need to make money and artistry is not that important.

Then the academy itself is self-important and cozy. They know they need new faces so it’s a revolving fraternity/sorority. But you can go down the list year-by-year and find some unjust awards. Halle Berry for Monster’s Ball pops to mind.

Some films outside the system get great performances. Chris Eigeman was beyond perfect in Metropolitan (1990).

[quote=“Traveler, post:25, topic:26171”]It’s not really difficult to steal a serious movie away from Kevin Costner. His range is limited, though he had some good performances within his range.

Agreed I was stupefied when Del Toro won that. Maybe just recognition for his work in The Usual Suspects which was unique.

Hollywood is a machine and a fraternity. They want and need to make money and artistry is not that important.

Then the academy itself is self-important and cozy. They know they need new faces so it’s a revolving fraternity/sorority. But you can go down the list year-by-year and find some unjust awards. Halle Berry for Monster’s Ball pops to mind.

Some films outside the system get great performances. Chris Eigeman was beyond perfect in Metropolitan (1990).[/quote]

Traffic in general was an unusual(weak) academy movie. Soderbergh won Best Director with Traffic. A year that also had Gladiator, Crouching Tiger and Almost Famous as more viable Best Director candidates IMO.

I agree the academy is a fraternity and big industry machine. But if you look down the list, from year to year, I think they’ve done a fairly good job in the Best Supporting Actor category.