Tarholes in the Observer

not trying to pick a fight, but why is having the parents foot the bill for education not considered "mooching off mommy"? your words, not mine

First of all, I plan on paying them back as much as I can, as soon as I can. Second of all, a disturbingly high percentage of students (at least that I know of) get EVERYTHING paid for them by their parents while they are in college. My roommate is a good guy and one of my best friends, but he spends money like it grows on trees because his well-off parents just throw it at him. I would consider that mooching off mommy and daddy. I go to as many Niners athletic events as I possibly can, but because I work, it usually ends up being just home basketball games, and a baseball game here and there.

Compared to acc and sec schools in the area we are average. We got some good coverage for basedball and golf. Bball didn’t deserve much coverage the last 2 yrs. I hate chapel hill like most everyone else on here but they win consistently. Our history is of a few good teams that giving the opportunity to do great things, don’t. It’s frustrating. We have to improve the product first. Even with great coverage our attendance wouldn’t improve (over time) As the Panthers and Bobcats even show, Charlotte residents like winners. When the panthers suck we have empty seats. Let’s get football, step up in bball and hopefully (like golf this year) teams make their national tourney and then do something significant. Winning one game in the ncaa’s isn’t significant. Sweet 16, Super regionals (at least), and nc’s should be what we consider great.

BTW, thanks baseball for whipping the pack twice. That almost counts as significant.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;242937]clt is terrible at analogies.

The Tar Heels and Wolfpack are, for our readers, “local,” which is what we sell. Distance less a factor than passion, and those are passionate, year-round fans who buy our product. The Lakers will never be “local.” We can’t prosper doing all Niners all the time, like they do for Tennessee in the Knoxville paper. The Tar Heels and Wolfpack, plus Duke basketball, plus Clemson and South Carolina, sell papers too. The Tar Heels have the most interest, if you believe our listings on Page 2 of sports, just started, of the top viewed sports stories on charlotte.com.

The Lakers will never be local. The Braves and Yankees will never be local either, but they get the best of our baseball coverage because they have the most fans in this area.

It’s a business, clt, like it or not. And most on this board claim not use our product anyway, including my most vocal critics.[/QUOTE]

clt asks what an analogy is.

anyway, clt will disagree with regards to a newspaper’s role to serve the local community. while the paper is a business, it does serve a civic purpose. your defintion of this purpose is to promote a school no closer to the charlotte area than the u of sc.

your promotion of unc-ch leads to more wal-mart fairy fans.

[SIZE=2]The thing that everyone needs to understand is that neither side will ever fully agree with the other. I know we’re not enemies with the Charlotte Observer, but it seems that way hearing some of the Big O’s critics talk about it. We are in a catch 22. It is that simple. The Observer is a business. They have to eat. They have to pay their light bill. In order for a business to succeed, it needs to have a level of selfishness where it realizes that regardless of what a portion of the public thinks, it still has to go after what is best for the business and the business alone. That being said, the catch 22 that we are in is that we need to support them more for them to support us more, or visa-versa. Yes, I would love to see more Charlotte articles in the O, all of us would; and I would like to see them all on the front page. That is not going to happen anytime soon, though. Maybe they cover UNC-Ch too much, maybe they have some UNC-Ch alumni working there that make that happen. Who knows? All I know is that most of the critics of the Observer are being unrealistic with their approach in getting more articles about our beloved Green and White. When we can support their business 100%, then we can bitch about them not displaying 100% or our articles on the first 5 pages. Until then, please, think logically about your arguments, because they have improved a lot recently in showing our acheivements as a University. Why, you ask? Because we’ve shown more interest.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]On a side note: I know that by writing this, a lot of you will look at me now as if I sided with the enemy. I just want anyone who is mentally handycapped (PC) enough to believe that I am not a full fledged Niner supporter can kiss that part of me where the **** comes out of. I am just, flat out, being honest with myself.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]No Japanese Pigmies were physically harmed in the making of this message. Although they may now suffer from delusions of mental superiority over the African Pigmies. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The Observer is a business. They have to eat. They have to pay their light bill....[/SIZE][SIZE=2]When we can support their business 100%, then we can bitch about them not displaying 100% or our articles on the first 5 pages. Until then, please, think logically about your arguments[/SIZE]

huh.

Submarley - the next time you’re out of town, pick up a newspaper and browse the sports section.

[SIZE=2][QUOTE][SIZE=2]When we can support their business 100%, then we can bitch about them not displaying 100% or our articles on the first 5 pages.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]FWIW, that’s not how business works. Consumers don’t make a purchase, then hope that product will change to suit them. They purchase a product because it suits them to begin with… in the first place.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I’m sort of split on this issue. I believe the Observer has done vastly better, and you can’t argue/complain about improvement.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]However, if what Mike P. said was true: (Paraphrasing poorly) It is the duty of the local newspaper to set the community’s agenda. Then, it seems like this community’s agenda is being somewhat guided far east of Charlotte.[/SIZE]

huh.

Submarley - the next time you’re out of town, pick up a newspaper and browse the sports section.

I’m not only talking about sports.

[SIZE=2]FWIW, that's not how business works. Consumers don't make a purchase, then hope that product will change to suit them. They purchase a product because it suits them to begin with... in the first place.[/SIZE]

Thank you for the lesson in how a consumer’s interest in a product can cause a sale. A business works by filling consumers’ needs. Then, it stays alive by evolving to fit consumers’ needs as they change. The majority of readers for the Charlotte Observer could give two ****s about University of Charlotte articles right now. Therefore, the need for University of Charlotte articles is not very strong. I know it’s sad, but it’s true. Until that changes, we will not see a drastic change in the way the O is doing things. I agree that it is the newspapers responsibility to share public knowledge and grow the interest of the public, but for them to keep their readers happy, news about chapel hill is a must. A very large portion of the Charlotte community are UNC-Ch alumni. I’m not trying to cause a big uproar on here, I just think we need to get off of their backs a little bit. Just my opinion.

Thank you for the lesson in how a consumer's interest in a product can cause a sale.

Sorry, sounded like a lesson was needed from this:
[SIZE=2]

[SIZE=2]When we can support their business 100%, then we can bitch about them not displaying 100% or our articles on the first 5 pages. [/SIZE]

:biggrin:

I agree with you on most everything else.

Best way to get coverage is to have successful seasons with your teams.[/SIZE]

Sorry, sounded like a lesson was needed from this: [SIZE=2] :biggrin:

I agree with you on most everything else.

Best way to get coverage is to have successful seasons with your teams.[/SIZE]

Yeah, I just think we beat them up too much. As far as the lesson went, thanks for the concern. I don’t claim to know everything, but I have a pretty good grasp on the business aspect. All that being said, if we get football, and that’s not on the front page, then I have problems.

All that being said, if we get football, and that's not on the front page, then I have problems.

ABSOLUTELY! It should be on the front page of the entire newspaper, not just that of the Sports section.

If we get football and that happens, I will go buy some frames, have it matted, framed and hung. Maybe keep the others to sell later. :shades:

ABSOLUTELY! It [I]should [/I]be on the front page of the entire newspaper, not just that of the Sports section.

If we get football and that happens, I will go buy some frames, have it matted, framed and hung. Maybe keep the others to sell later. :shades:

Hell yeah!! I’m with you on that. That will be a historic moment for Charlotte. :headbang: