Tarholes in the Observer

What’s fair is fair.

This article on tarhole baseball is similar to one of the ones on Niner baseball. They both have a big photo of the tarhole baseball team with the article.

Of course, tarhole articles have a tendency to appear on page 1, where ours appear on page 5 or higher (with the exception of one day last weekend).

http://www.charlotte.com/130/story/155167.html

:smile:

They are going to the College World Series…

They are going to the College World Series....

True. I can guarantee if we won a game to go to the CWS, we would have the same big fat photo on the front page along with a nice long story.

I’m just a silly Niners alum and fan.

but for some reason I thought I watched the Tarheels in last years CWS, but then again, maybe we are in 1990.

North Carolina wins deciding game to earn 1st berth since 1989

JOEDY MCCREARY
Associated Press

CHAPEL HILL --For the second straight year, Chad Flack homered to send North Carolina to the College World Series.

Flack’s tiebreaking two-run shot in the seventh sent the Tar Heels to a 9-4 win against South Carolina on Sunday night in the deciding game of their best-of-three super regional series.

Flack – whose two-run game-ending homer in last season’s super regional at Alabama gave the Tar Heels their first CWS berth since 1989 – came through with another crucial shot in the postseason.

The FACTS OF LIFE are simple

The Charlotte Observer is an overrated publication and they consider Charlotte 49ers athletics to be of minor importance within their sphere of circulation.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;242601]True. I can guarantee if we won a game to go to the CWS, we would have the same big fat photo on the front page along with a nice long story.[/QUOTE]

Of course we should. No argument from me that we should not… But then again, often in the past we’ve earned front page and received page 8 with high school teams…

I’m sure everyone in Charlotte will be bombarded with stories from unc-chapel hill… even after they lose.

Chisox, we looked for you in Columbia last weekend. Where were you?

I hear theres not a lot of time to attend the baseball playoffs when you’re giving Tarheel Mike so much personal loving.

Chisox, we looked for you in Columbia last weekend. Where were you?

Some of us have these things called jobs. And since I have an unpaid internship during the week, I have to work every weekend. Not all of us can mooch off mommy and daddy.

yes…sometimes when charlotte deserves front page of the paper in the hearts and minds of the charlotte faithful…and they dont get it. it is a shame sometimes because throughout the years some of charlottes major accomplishments have gone unnoticed. i mean i live in wilmington and for the exception of the 7 of us from the DUB that go to uncc…nobody knows who or what college is in charlotte.

i have many friends that i played with and/or against that played or currently play for carolina. as much as you guys hate them…they could give a **** about charlotte. this whole rival thing you guys try making out of nothing…well…thats it. NOTHING. now if we start beating them then we have something and they will give there NONCONFERENCE meaningless game a little bit more attention.

bottomline is simple. MONEY. charlotte can not compete with chapel hills fan base and/or finacial stability. they also WIN and/or are VERY VERY competitive on the national level every single year. when charlotte gets back to the level we were at 3-4-5 years ago we will gain a little bit of the light in the media. until we get that national attention for winning a SHIP…we will always be in carolinas rear view mirror for many many issues such as marketing, media, money, fan base and so on. the observer is also trying to do this little thing most of like to do…MAKE MONEY. they arent going to sell papers with charlotte on the front page stating our 500 record in basketball or the parade we all think the baseball team deserves for there miraclous incredilbe one of a kind season. like i said some times we do get screwed…but for the most part you have to be honest with yourself and realize that we are not on carolinas level at the present time.

wins+money=media coverage

BP, no one is saying the Tar Heels, Duke, State etc shouldnt get coverage in the O, the main complaint is that the 49ers are the hometown team, and the hometown team should get very good coverage.

That being said, I dont think our coverage in the O is quite as bad as many other on the board think it is, but still, Id like to see it improve seeing as how we are located about 10 min from downtown Charlotte, and maybe 20 min from the Observer building.

im not saying that they should or shouldnt. if they warrant the coverage and respect to be on the front page then they most definitely should be whether you’re charlotte, chapel hill or north dakota. its a shame that politics litterally effect everything in this world and having the backing finacially doesnt hurt either while you’re winning.

well said though.

It’s 1990, well heck I’m going to buy some microsoft, get bin laden and warn the world about boy bands.

Do any of you REALLY believe the Niners making the College World Series wouldn’t have been on the front page today?

[QUOTE=Chisox17;242666]seeing as how we are located about 10 min from downtown Charlotte, and maybe 20 min from the Observer building.[/QUOTE]
Wow, so the observer is another 10 minutes from downtown? SOrry, couldn’t help pointing that one out.

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;242691]It’s 1990, well heck I’m going to buy some microsoft, get bin laden and warn the world about boy bands.[/QUOTE]
:lmao:

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;242691]It’s 1990, well heck I’m going to buy some microsoft, get bin laden and warn the world about boy bands.[/QUOTE]

That was the AP story, not Ken’s staff story, which subbed out later.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;242692]Do any of you REALLY believe the Niners making the College World Series wouldn’t have been on the front page today?[/QUOTE]

clt said if his aunt had wings, she could fly.

clt says the issue is this. do you cover the lakers in the same fashion as the BOBcats? no, because the BOBcats are the home town team.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;242622]Some of us have these things called jobs. And since I have an unpaid internship during the week, I have to work every weekend. Not all of us can mooch off mommy.[/QUOTE]

your parents don’t pay for your college? that sucks. mine didn’t either.

your parents don't pay for your college? that sucks. mine didn't either.

They do, I am very fortunate that they pay for my tuition. However, I pay rent/bills/car repairs/food/clothing/etc, unlike many others on this board. It amazes me to think of how many fellow students I know who dont even have at least a part time job. So many parents just throw money at their kids. So no eason, I wasnt in Columbia watching the Niners, I had no option, I had to work.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;242922]They do, I am very fortunate that they pay for my tuition. However, I pay rent/bills/car repairs/food/clothing/etc, unlike many others on this board. It amazes me to think of how many fellow students I know who dont even have at least a part time job. So many parents just throw money at their kids. So no eason, I wasnt in Columbia watching the Niners, I had no option, I had to work.[/QUOTE]

not trying to pick a fight, but why is having the parents foot the bill for education not considered “mooching off mommy”? your words, not mine

It said his homer in [B]LAST YEAR’S SUPER REGIONAL[/B] gave them their first CWS berth since 1989. Then he did it again this year. So, they were saying he was clutch two years in a row.

So, if they made it from 1990 to 2006, that’s not factual and deserving of criticism. But, I don’t think they did, so it’s a correct statement and we all need a reading lesson on the board.

[QUOTE=cltniners;242899]
clt says the issue is this. do you cover the lakers in the same fashion as the BOBcats? no, because the BOBcats are the home town team.[/QUOTE]

clt is terrible at analogies.

The Tar Heels and Wolfpack are, for our readers, “local,” which is what we sell. Distance less a factor than passion, and those are passionate, year-round fans who buy our product. The Lakers will never be “local.” We can’t prosper doing all Niners all the time, like they do for Tennessee in the Knoxville paper. The Tar Heels and Wolfpack, plus Duke basketball, plus Clemson and South Carolina, sell papers too. The Tar Heels have the most interest, if you believe our listings on Page 2 of sports, just started, of the top viewed sports stories on charlotte.com.

The Lakers will never be local. The Braves and Yankees will never be local either, but they get the best of our baseball coverage because they have the most fans in this area.

It’s a business, clt, like it or not. And most on this board claim not use our product anyway, including my most vocal critics.