Team Observations Thus Far.

agreed, we need Wilderness to have some offense because last years freshmen really struggled on offense and right now we are looking at Goldwire to be the only one on the team that can score.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;243409]agreed, we need Wilderness to have some offense because last years freshmen really struggled on offense and right now we are looking at Goldwire to be the only one on the team that can score.[/QUOTE]

For anyone who missed it, the Lutz interview on ninerreport gives an idea of player roles. Mack is expected to score as well. Thatā€™s going to be our problem, though. Letā€™s hope for once we can make up for it on the defensive end and get some easy baskets in transition.

better yet, I hear we have no cancers. If you have good leaders (which Lee clearly is) on/off the court, these guys need to jump in line and follow, which I believe will happen. I don't mind rooting for a young .500 club that is applying itself.

QFT

Looking at the list of players, I really donā€™t see anyone to ā€˜booā€™. There WILL be undeserving scapegoats next year for the impatient crowd (unfortunately). Like you said, if a player is struggling yet applying himself - then I donā€™t mind rooting for him either. But Iā€™m not blind to patterns in college hoops: experienced clubs closing out games and young teams struggling, players scoring 7ppg as a freshman may score 12 ppg as a senior, etc. Itā€™s an ā€˜investmentā€™ yearā€¦the rewards are still down the road.

Phaler and Ian might have much more value this year than last. With Alexander, Carlos, and others looking to score every time the ball was in their hands, Phaler and Ian just added to the problem. Now that we need snipers, Phaler, Ian (and of course Goldwire) might prove to be just what the doctor orderedā€¦ā€˜specially if the rest of the team is on the same page and contributes towards the other aspects of the game. Itā€™s the olā€™ ā€˜the whole is greater than the sum-of-the-partsā€™ mantra. Last year, I think our ā€˜partsā€™ had more value - but obviously it was ā€˜the wholeā€™ that really mattered.

It is not clear how we are going to score, we typically have at least 2 scorers, now we only have 1, so it will be a challenge.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;243201]I agree as well, Jamison? I donā€™t want any of our incoming players who are supposed to be scorers compared to Jamison. Everybody liked Jamison for two reasons, he worked his ass off and played tough D. When I heard Wilderness and how heā€™s been described, I thought, ā€œwe have something special here.ā€ Iā€™m sick of these players coming in and being busts. If Wilderness ends up being a Jamison, I would say heā€™s a bust.

On a side note: Please, even if you see a similarity, do not use that waste of space Australian center we hadā€™s name in any comparison w/ Big Phil. Everyone knows who Iā€™m talking about, I just do not want to say his name.[/QUOTE]

If we had 5 guys on the court that played with Jamisonā€™s passion and defensive intensity we would have won 20+ games last year easily. Donā€™t see how he is considered a bust?? Took him a year to get comfortable at the D1 level. If it takes Wilderness one year so be itā€¦at least we have him for 4.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;243490]It is not clear how we are going to score, we typically have at least 2 scorers, now we only have 1, so it will be a challenge.[/QUOTE]

glad Im not the only one. I think Lefty believes this will be our primary challenge every night too.

I just hope we dont ever have a 9 pt half again. :mask:

[QUOTE=amnesiac;243409]agreed, we need Wilderness to have some offense because last years freshmen really struggled on offense and right now we are looking at Goldwire to be the only one on the team that can score.[/QUOTE]

all i care about is defense and reboundingā€¦scoring will take care of itself and as Lefty mentioned Mack is a scoring machine. defense will lead to offense, particularly in transitionā€¦

[QUOTE=EJNiner;243511]If we had 5 guys on the court that played with Jamisonā€™s passion and defensive intensity we would have won 20+ games last year easily. Donā€™t see how he is considered a bust?? Took him a year to get comfortable at the D1 level. If it takes Wilderness one year so be itā€¦at least we have him for 4.[/QUOTE]
couldnt agree with this more. he played harder than possibly any niner i have ever seen. at 6ā€™5" he rebounded like a guy who was 6ā€™10".

If we had 5 guys on the court that played with Jamison's passion and defensive intensity we would have won 20+ games last year easily. Don't see how he is considered a bust?? Took him a year to get comfortable at the D1 level. If it takes Wilderness one year so be it...at least we have him for 4.

also i couldnā€™t agree more. but i do think wilderness is going to come in with the same passion already. just seems like one of those kids.

If we had 5 guys on the court that played with Jamison's passion and defensive intensity we would have won 20+ games last year easily. Don't see how he is considered a bust?? Took him a year to get comfortable at the D1 level. If it takes Wilderness one year so be it...at least we have him for 4.

I donā€™t disagree with what you are saying, but those 5 guys would have to have more skill than Jamison. That is what I am talking about. Wilderness is supposed to be a very skilled scorer, and Jamison was everything except that. I liked Jamison, had no problem with him, but you have to admit, in 4 years, if the only thing good we can say about Wilderness is that he worded his ass off and played good defense, heā€™s a bust in my opinion.

Actually I think you will see that Wilderness reminds you more of Eddie in his first couple of years than Jamison, but with more of a knack for scoring around the basket. I saw both Wilderness and Tatum play a couple of times, I thought Wilderness was much better.

Not comparing him to Eddie as a senior, because like Galen Young, Eddie was a much different player as a Sr than he was as a soph.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;243666]Actually I think you will see that Wilderness reminds you more of Eddie in his first couple of years than Jamison, but with more of a knack for scoring around the basket. I saw both Wilderness and Tatum play a couple of times, I thought Wilderness was much better.

Not comparing him to Eddie as a senior, because like Galen Young, Eddie was a much different player as a Sr than he was as a soph.[/QUOTE]

Lutz has also compared Wilderness to Eddie in terms of how he plays. All around player, good athlete, plays defense, rebounds, finishes around the basket. Wilderness is not known as a scorer or shooter. I think he and Dewhurst will be similar but Wilderness probably will work more inside than Dewhurst. He may even play the 4 at times.

Heā€™ll be more ready to play right away after prepping last year. Good competition at the 3 for sure.

Now that we [I]need [/I]snipers, Phaler, Ian (and of course Goldwire) might prove to be just what the doctor ordered....

this is good, but at the same time kinda scares me - call me old fashioned but i like the inside game, as in not just 3ā€™s - and though i know that lutz likes the 3, iā€™ve been holding onto the hope that through the changes that he sounds like he is making to the game (heavily recruiting athleticism etc.) that we will be doing a lot more driving of the ball this season. as well as our lovely addition of a true center in the paint. i guess weā€™ll seeā€¦

One thing that may come into play somewhat is the movement of the 3 pt line (which i believe goes into effect next season) and phalers height advantage. i dont truely knwo if it would help or not, but logically it would. who knowsā€¦ just a thought

this is good, but at the same time kinda scares me - call me old fashioned but i like the inside game, as in not just 3's - and though i know that lutz likes the 3, i've been holding onto the hope that through the changes that he sounds like he is making to the game (heavily recruiting athleticism etc.) that we will be doing a lot more driving of the ball this season. as well as our lovely addition of a true center in the paint. i guess we'll see...

One thing that may come into play somewhat is the movement of the 3 pt line (which i believe goes into effect next season) and phalers height advantage. i dont truely knwo if it would help or not, but logically it would. who knowsā€¦ just a thought

then why do support charlotte the last 10 years have been nothing but 3ā€™s haha.

My observation is that I ran into Big Phil, Anjuan, and Dijuan at the Shell Gas Station lol. Itā€™s good to see them hanging out. Means they are becoming friends.

I asked Big Phil if he was going to win and he said yes haha. I shook Dijaunā€™s hand. Apparently the guy whos car I was in played against him in HS. He is going to be walking on at State.

In any event, good to see them together. Iā€™m ready to see what they can do.

JJ wouldnā€™t have been considered freakishly athletic even back thenā€¦there was a freak of an athlete on the Niner team back then and his name was Jarvis Lang!!!

JJ wouldn't have been considered freakishly athletic even back then.....there was a freak of an athlete on the Niner team back then and his name was Jarvis Lang!!!

Quoted for spot on right on the money TRUTH.

I dont remember Jarvis vividly, but I remember him. No one comes close to the athleticism of Jarvis. That guy was truly on a whole other level.