Team Observations Thus Far.

[B]Only a few guys have been around this summer. I have been shooting around and working out with the team everyday. I will give you some of my observations of what each player brings to the table.[/B]

[B]Dijuan Harris (PG) [/B]: Dijuan is going to be a breath of fresh air for the Niners at the PG spot. I beleive he will start the season out at PG and share minutes after Gerrity becomes eligible as his backup. Dijuan is a lighting fast point guard who excels at getting through the paint. He has a great shot for a PG. A lot more consistent than Carlos Williams was last year. He is a small at 5-10 But he has a lot of heart and a great passion to be a Niner. Hands down going to be the fastest guy on the court.
[B]
Phil Jones ©[/B]: Phil has gotten in better shape. He is working out hard and playing in pick up games with other division one Basketball players is definately helping with his confidence. Phils long arms (7-4 wingspan) and size makes him a rebounding machine. HE snags almost every loose ball that comes his way. He is still a lil raw on the offensive scheme. But hopefull all summer and playing against these guys will help get that confidence up. His stamina is in great position, and can only get better.
[B]
Gaby Ngoundjo (PF)[/B] Gaby is going to be the next great defensive player. Gaby is a solid 6-7. He also has tremendously long arms (7-3 Wingspan) Gaby is very soft spoken and has a passion for defense and prides himself on it. Gaby comes to us already in great physical shape. A summer with Preston is going to do him wonders. He will definately help contribute this season. Gaby is a lil raw on the offensive side, and doesn’t really look to score but when he does he throws it down with authority and has some great post moves. Our post this season is going to a lot more athletic and have the ability to block a lot of shots. Gaby gets two thumps way up!!
[B]
Anjuan Wilderness (SF/PF) [/B]Anjuan along with Gaby has the potential and the body to come in and help contribute right away. I consider Anjuan the next version of Jerrel Jamison. He is a 6-6 slasher and scorer. He is a freak athlete as well and can jump out the building. He has some tremendous dunks. Like I said I consider him to be the next Jerrel Jamision but a more offensive threat than JJ. He can knock down the permiter shot or get to the basket. Great personality. Name has all kinds of potential for fans to get hype with.

[B]Sean Phaler (SG/SF) [/B]Sean has been working really hard this summer. His confidence to play consistently at the division 1 level has finally arrived. During pick up games his doesn’t really get the ball much because he is a 6-9 SG who hangs out around the perimeter. But when he gets a high ball screen and rolls around the top of the key. He nails the 3 ball. Sean is definately not affraid to take it in the lane either for the Dunk if the opportunity presents itself.

[B]Charles Dewhurst (SF) [/B]Charles has been the most consistent in my eyes this summer. I believe him redshirting has helped him. During pick up games he is always involved in the action driving/penetrating/clean up man. Today he had a great Dunk off a miss shot. Everyone got lazy and he exploded to the rim. Charles is going to be more of an offensive threat as well this year.

[B]Jarvarris Barnett (SG) [/B]Jarvarris is going to be a work in progress. I do believe he will redshirt. Not because he is lacking in the talent. But I believe we are overloaded at his position and that it will do him well to sit back and learn from the guys ahead of him. He has shown some great spots this summer. He is a legit 6-5 or 6-6 SG. Give him time and will do big things for us. Just not this season.

Other guys who I haven’t seen this summer : Leemire, Ian, Mack, Coley, Lewis, Church, Gerrity,

Hope this helps wet your guys appetite.

J4L

Looks like were gonna be high flyers this season. Looks good for the crowd.

[QUOTE=Jason4Life32;243148][B]Only a few guys have been around this summer. I have been shooting around and working out with the team everyday. I will give you some of my observations of what each player brings to the table.[/B]

[B]Dijuan Harris (PG) [/B]: Dijuan is going to be a breath of fresh air for the Niners at the PG spot. I beleive he will start the season out at PG and share minutes after Gerrity becomes eligible as his backup. Dijuan is a lighting fast point guard who excels at getting through the paint. He has a great shot for a PG. A lot more consistent than Carlos Williams was last year. He is a small at 5-10 But he has a lot of heart and a great passion to be a Niner. Hands down going to be the fastest guy on the court.
[B]
Phil Jones ©[/B]: Phil has gotten in better shape. He is working out hard and playing in pick up games with other division one Basketball players is definately helping with his confidence. Phils long arms (7-4 wingspan) and size makes him a rebounding machine. HE snags almost every loose ball that comes his way. He is still a lil raw on the offensive scheme. But hopefull all summer and playing against these guys will help get that confidence up. His stamina is in great position, and can only get better.
[B]
Gaby Ngoundjo (PF)[/B] Gaby is going to be the next great defensive player. Gaby is a solid 6-7. He also has tremendously long arms (7-3 Wingspan) Gaby is very soft spoken and has a passion for defense and prides himself on it. Gaby comes to us already in great physical shape. A summer with Preston is going to do him wonders. He will definately help contribute this season. Gaby is a lil raw on the offensive side, and doesn’t really look to score but when he does he throws it down with authority and has some great post moves. Our post this season is going to a lot more athletic and have the ability to block a lot of shots. Gaby gets two thumps way up!!
[B]
Anjuan Wilderness (SF/PF) [/B]Anjuan along with Gaby has the potential and the body to come in and help contribute right away. I consider Anjuan the next version of Jerrel Jamison. He is a 6-6 slasher and scorer. He is a freak athlete as well and can jump out the building. He has some tremendous dunks. Like I said I consider him to be the next Jerrel Jamision but a more offensive threat than JJ. He can knock down the permiter shot or get to the basket. Great personality. Name has all kinds of potential for fans to get hype with.

[B]Sean Phaler (SG/SF) [/B]Sean has been working really hard this summer. His confidence to play consistently at the division 1 level has finally arrived. During pick up games his doesn’t really get the ball much because he is a 6-9 SG who hangs out around the perimeter. But when he gets a high ball screen and rolls around the top of the key. He nails the 3 ball. Sean is definately not affraid to take it in the lane either for the Dunk if the opportunity presents itself.

[B]Charles Dewhurst (SF) [/B]Charles has been the most consistent in my eyes this summer. I believe him redshirting has helped him. During pick up games he is always involved in the action driving/penetrating/clean up man. Today he had a great Dunk off a miss shot. Everyone got lazy and he exploded to the rim. Charles is going to be more of an offensive threat as well this year.

[B]Jarvarris Barnett (SG) [/B]Jarvarris is going to be a work in progress. I do believe he will redshirt. Not because he is lacking in the talent. But I believe we are overloaded at his position and that it will do him well to sit back and learn from the guys ahead of him. He has shown some great spots this summer. He is a legit 6-5 or 6-6 SG. Give him time and will do big things for us. Just not this season.

Other guys who I haven’t seen this summer : Leemire, Ian, Mack, Coley, Lewis, Church, Gerrity,

J4L[/QUOTE]

Does it look like we may be better than many of our fans have anticipated?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;243154]Does it look like we may be better than many of our fans have anticipated?[/QUOTE]

My expectations are so low, as a result of last season, I’ll be happy if they are all enrolled when the Fall semester starts.

At that point, we’ll have exceeded last season’s results.

I’m not even interested in wins/losses this coming season. Just give me a compelling reason to get excited about the game. In other words, if the team just “puts themselves in position to win” MOST OF THE TIME, 07-08 will be better than last season.

In a related question, whats the over/under on total number of printed (in the newspaper, not online) stories in the Charlotte Observer sports section (Neighbors in NOT the sports section) related to the 07-08 mens basketball season (starts when the players enroll for the Fall and ends with the final game of the season is played)?

I’m going with 49…there will 29-32 games and I’ll be kind and guess that maybe every OTHER game (on average) there will be an additional story from Mr. Utter thats allowed to be printed.

Of course, if Mr Utter gets promoted than all bets are off and we get ONE postgame story “off the wire” and nothing more.

My expectations are so low, as a result of last season, I'll be happy if they are all enrolled when the Fall semester starts.

At that point, we’ll have exceeded last season’s results.

I’m not even interested in wins/losses this coming season. Just give me a compelling reason to get excited about the game. In other words, if the team just “puts themselves in position to win” MOST OF THE TIME, 07-08 will be better than last season.

In a related question, whats the over/under on total number of printed (in the newspaper, not online) stories in the Charlotte Observer sports section (Neighbors in NOT the sports section) related to the 07-08 mens basketball season (starts when the players enroll for the Fall and ends with the final game of the season is played)?

I’m going with 49…there will 29-32 games and I’ll be kind and guess that maybe every OTHER game (on average) there will be an additional story from Mr. Utter thats allowed to be printed.

Of course, if Mr Utter gets promoted than all bets are off and we get ONE postgame story “off the wire” and nothing more.

you give the big O too much crap. as does everyone else on this bored. here is something to think about get over it. yeah we get bad publicity. But in all reality did we do anything last season worthy of good publicity in mens basketball? Jim Utter has done an amazing job covering EVERY 49er sport not just basketball. Name another reporter who has done that for this school. Scotty’s dad did a great job while he covered us. But i think jim will surpass everyone’s dreams about the ammount of coverage we get athletically at this university.

Jim Utter for president.

If I was critical of Mr Utter ANYWHERE, at any time, on this board, I’d like to know when and where.

If I was critical of Mr Utter ANYWHERE, at any time, on this board, I'd like to know when and where.

never said you were. just pissed about everyone complaining about lack of coverage in EVERY SINGLE THREAD. suggestion keep the complaining about the “O” in the threads that they belong in. I brought up jim to prove the point that there is someone attempting to get us a lot of coverage compared to journalist’s in the past.

[QUOTE=Jason4Life32;243148][B]Only a few guys have been around this summer. I have been shooting around and working out with the team everyday. I will give you some of my observations of what each player brings to the table.[/B]

[B]
[B]
[B]

J4L[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update…nice to have a little b-ball talk in June. Nice to hear about Dewhurst. I think he has the ability to be a great Niner…and I saw flashes of that last year. Confidence seemed to be a problem…but hopefully a red shirt year helped him out.

Also very excited to hear about Harris. My number one concern for next year is who will play the point until Gerrity becomes eligible. I hate seeing Lee run the point, as it really f’s up his game. And ANYTHING has to be better than Carlos.

I am a little worried about Wilderness…I have heard several comparisions to Jamison…but I hope that is not the case. I know Jamison showed flashes of athleticism while he was here…but he never really panned out imo. Nice defender…decent rebounder…but that was about it. We need Wilderness to be MUCH more polished on the offensive end.

Thanks J4L! :thumbsup:

I just want Dewhurst or Wilderness or Coley to apply the chin nuts like Eddie did to that poor Houston player a couple years ago.

It’s good to hear we have some athletes and rebounders. That fits what Lutz wants. Now, who is going to score beyond Leemire? I’m guessing the answer is all at the G position, starting with Gerrity once he gets eligible, and maybe Mack.

I am a little worried about Wilderness......I have heard several comparisions to Jamison....but I hope that is not the case. I know Jamison showed flashes of athleticism while he was here....but he never really panned out imo. Nice defender.....decent rebounder....but that was about it. We need Wilderness to be MUCH more polished on the offensive end.

I agree with this. No way I’m going to get excited about someone by having him compared favorably to Jamison. I like the guy and all, but that seems to translate to players sitting on the bench.

I am EXTREMELY worried about our offense this year. It doesn’t look like anyone specializes in an offensive role who is good & developed besides Leemire. Teams will throw 2 players to guard Leemire and then we’re screwed… something they couldn’t really do with D.A. on the squad.

I see our season being a lot worse than last year. I think the year after we might have some success after some of these players develop and find their niche. But, I think this year we lose quite a few more games than last year. Too much youth & inexperience, too quickly… just my opinion and you know what those are worth.

I'm not even interested in wins/losses this coming season.

I hear ya. The thought of treating games like exhibitions does not appeal to someone like me, but I gotta keep reminding myself that it’s only going to get better. This is the first season ever that I’ve felt this way.

Jamison keeps getting mentioned in the thread. There was a post about a year ago and (I’m paraphrasing) Jamison was asked which two players excited him the most. Without hesitating, he said “Andersen and Dewhurst”. That stuck with me, 'cause at the time I had bought into all the hype over top ranked Carlos, #15 center Phil, and 50 point scoring Booker.

Nice work on the observations. Keep 'em coming.

I agree with this. No way I'm going to get excited about someone by having him compared favorably to Jamison. I like the guy and all, but that seems to translate to players sitting on the bench.

I agree as well, Jamison? I don’t want any of our incoming players who are supposed to be scorers compared to Jamison. Everybody liked Jamison for two reasons, he worked his ass off and played tough D. When I heard Wilderness and how he’s been described, I thought, “we have something special here.” I’m sick of these players coming in and being busts. If Wilderness ends up being a Jamison, I would say he’s a bust.

On a side note: Please, even if you see a similarity, do not use that waste of space Australian center we had’s name in any comparison w/ Big Phil. Everyone knows who I’m talking about, I just do not want to say his name.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;243201]On a side note: Please, even if you see a similarity, do not use that waste of space Australian center we had’s name in any comparison w/ Big Phil. Everyone knows who I’m talking about, I just do not want to say his name.[/QUOTE]

Awww… be nice to Wade “Helliwell… for 3!!!”

i think what he said was that wilderness is like jamison is that they are both similar size, freakishly athletic, good defensive players and rebounders but that wilderness is a better offensive player. that was always the problem with jamison was his lack of an offensive game. imagine him with one. plus wilderness has four years to develop instead of two. i wouldnt be getting too upset over the comparison.

i think what he said was that wilderness is like jamison is that they are both similar size, freakishly athletic, good defensive players and rebounders but that wilderness is a better offensive player. that was always the problem with jamison was his lack of an offensive game. imagine him with one. plus wilderness has four years to develop instead of two. i wouldnt be getting too upset over the comparison.

exactly what I meant.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;243154]Does it look like we may be better than many of our fans have anticipated?[/QUOTE]

hold your horses. don’t make me bump the 2006 midnight madness thread. Some thought we were the Spurs of the Afreakin10.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;243193]
It’s good to hear we have some athletes and rebounders. That fits what Lutz wants. .[/QUOTE]

better yet, I hear we have no cancers. If you have good leaders (which Lee clearly is) on/off the court, these guys need to jump in line and follow, which I believe will happen. I don’t mind rooting for a young .500 club that is applying itself.

hold your horses. don't make me bump the 2006 midnight madness thread. Some thought we were the Spurs of the Afreakin10.

I learned my lesson…

From the 2006 Midnight Madness thread (by… some… crazy person who will remain nameless)

1. Ian Anderson was amazing, especially for a freshman. As a matter of fact, all of the freshman looked really good. [B]Couple of years down the road this team will be dangerous... on a national scale.[/B]

:eek:

Maybe that’s why I’m not very optimistic this year… I got burned last year. I have tempered my expectations.

i think what he said was that wilderness is like jamison is that they are both similar size, [B]freakishly athletic[/B], good defensive players and rebounders but that wilderness is a better offensive player. that was always the problem with jamison was his lack of an offensive game. imagine him with one. plus wilderness has four years to develop instead of two. i wouldnt be getting too upset over the comparison.

I never really saw where he was athletic. Yea he could run and rebound well, but to me he played somewhat stiff. There’s nothing wrong with not being super athletic but when you say the above “freakishly athletic”, I think Vince Carter, or Dwight Howard. Jamison may have been athletic in 1991, but in no way does he fit the term in today’s context.

I understand you were just trying to explain J4L’s statement ninerfan so it’s not a crack at you, I just never saw him as a great athlete. A serviceable one, but nothing spectacular.