The 3 ball (...is a four letter word?)

Its just seemed like to me, with any level of play in basketball, from anywhere on the court its just been, [I]the more you make the more you can shoot[/I]. Statistically on a bad night, they should fall eventually, realistically, a bad night is just that, a bad night. If you are 3-16, i really donā€™t care to see you try to make it 4-17, b/c in all likelyhood, you wonā€™t.

I think that the 3 ball is a weapon, and with the right tools it can become a focus of your game plan. I donā€™t think that we are even in the utilize it to focus on it range, we strictly rely on it, and thatā€™s what I do not like. If the 3 ball isnā€™t falling, we probably arenā€™t going to win. The one change with this years team however is our defense is quite good.

Watch other teams that utilize the three, they do a lot better job of the inside-out game than we do.

Duke takes a lot of 3ā€™s, they also take a lot of shots period. Vanderbilt shoots almost 46% from out there, they have 4 guys shooting higer than 40% and Shan Fisher shoots 53.3%, and heā€™s had 122 attempts! thats pretty hard to defend, I donā€™t care who you are.

I donā€™t have a problem with the 3. I have a problem with them being jacked up at will when no effort is made in the post

While I was watching the horrible first half I was thinking, we donā€™t have any players that can shoot the ball, I know there is more to recruiting than just someone that can shoot (like phaler). I still canā€™t beleive we only have 2 players (lee and Ian) that can make a 10-15 ft jumper consistantly, you would think we would practice that more.

While I was watching the horrible first half I was thinking, we don't have any players that can shoot the ball, I know there is more to recruiting than just someone that can shoot (like phaler). I still can't beleive we only have 2 players (lee and Ian) that can make a 10-15 ft jumper consistantly, you would think we would practice that more.

probably has something to do with the past few years of fans complaining that we only recruiting shooters instead of fast athletic playersā€¦

probably has something to do with the past few years of fans complaining that we only recruiting shooters instead of fast athletic players...
I'm guessing you weren't being serious, but I really hope Lutz doesn't actually recruit based on what fans say.

There are two schools of thought here. 1) recruit shooters that are often somewhat unathletic, but make up for it by consistent offensive production (sort of, defense usually suffers), or 2) recruit athletes who can develop into better shooters depending on coaching and their own efforts to improve, while usually being better defenders. We shouldnā€™t assume that athletes like Harris, Coley and Wilderness will never develop an outside shot, though do we have good examples of our coach developing players shooting abilities in the past? Basden, maybe? The athletes who are already good shooters when they come to college are rare and often snapped up by the bigger programs. How good of an athlete is Bowden? He sounds intriguing IMO.

True, but the bottom line is the point of basketball is to put the ball in the hoop, Iā€™d take someone a little less athletic that can shoot consistently. Wilderness is a perfect example, he needs to work on his shooting this summer, teams are going to scout him and realize he wants to drive to the hoop so he should get the shots more often. I have hope though, Eddie improved his shooting tremendously over his four years.

I'm guessing you weren't being serious, but I really hope Lutz doesn't actually recruit based on what fans say.

There are two schools of thought here. 1) recruit shooters that are often somewhat unathletic, but make up for it by consistent offensive production (sort of, defense usually suffers), or 2) recruit athletes who can develop into better shooters depending on coaching and their own efforts to improve, while usually being better defenders. We shouldnā€™t assume that athletes like Harris, Coley and Wilderness will never develop an outside shot, though do we have good examples of our coach developing players shooting abilities in the past? Basden, maybe? The athletes who are already good shooters when they come to college are rare and often snapped up by the bigger programs. How good of an athlete is Bowden? He sounds intriguing IMO.

Beat me to it, but yeah, ditto.

I donā€™t even know why we are comparing this team to others that are winning by shooting the 3 ball. You are right dook does shoot it a lot but they take good well balanced shots. Take a look at most of leemireā€™s shots in the UM game they were quick off balance shots. Iā€™m not sure how many 3ā€™s were taken but it wasnā€™t many in the comeback portion of the game. We have people that can get to the hole but no one ever tries, our offense is standing around the perimeter passing the ball around until we can shoot a 3. We also have decent post players, from what i have watched when the ball does mysteriously get passed to a well posted up player we get points by scoring or on the free throw line. Harris looked good on sat. and in my opinion should be playing majority of minutes while gerrity looks scared to drive and score which was his bread and butter last year. And people say we need a good big man, why would any respected big man come here when we have no plays designed to goto the post. The closest the ball gets to the post is if someone happens to drive or if it goes to the short corner which is then passed back out for a 3 due to the lack of players cutting to the basket. Also with the jumping ability of of CC3 you would think we would have an alleyoop play but I have not seen anything close to that run. I think we have a good team but if we are not hitting the 3 we have no offense, we need something to run at away games because apparently thats when we donā€™t make shots the most.

I think Lutz should has Lee and Ian out there at the same time a little more, that way defenses canā€™t just lock on Lee. I think we need to find a way somehow to get Ian more involved anyways offensively.

[QUOTE]
And people say we need a good big man, why would any respected big man come here when we have no plays designed to goto the post. The closest the ball gets to the post is if someone happens to drive or if it goes to the short corner which is then passed back out for a 3 due to the lack of players cutting to the basket.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, when the season started, Phil got some decent minutes and put up ā€œdecentā€ numbers, I think he had 7 points and 4 rebounds for 25 minutes, he had his best game against wake where he had 7 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and a block. I donā€™t know what he did but somewhere along the line Lutz decided to give up on him. I donā€™t understand how heā€™s going to get better if he doesnā€™t get at least 10-20 minutes a game. Heā€™s a freshman center, itā€™s hard for them to make an immediate impact, but heā€™s not going to get any better on the bench. I donā€™t think Lutz knows what to do with a center and thatā€™s why he doesnā€™t play him. I canā€™t remember when he had a big man that posted up and wasnā€™t just a garbage big man down low.

I don't even know why we are comparing this team to others that are winning by shooting the 3 ball. You are right dook does shoot it a lot but they take good well balanced shots. Take a look at most of leemire's shots in the UM game they were quick off balance shots. I'm not sure how many 3's were taken but it wasn't many in the comeback portion of the game. We have people that can get to the hole but no one ever tries, our offense is standing around the perimeter passing the ball around until we can shoot a 3. We also have decent post players, from what i have watched when the ball does mysteriously get passed to a well posted up player we get points by scoring or on the free throw line. Harris looked good on sat. and in my opinion should be playing majority of minutes while gerrity looks scared to drive and score which was his bread and butter last year. And people say we need a good big man, why would any respected big man come here when we have no plays designed to goto the post. The closest the ball gets to the post is if someone happens to drive or if it goes to the short corner which is then passed back out for a 3 due to the lack of players cutting to the basket. Also with the jumping ability of of CC3 you would think we would have an alleyoop play but I have not seen anything close to that run. I think we have a good team but if we are not hitting the 3 we have no offense, we need something to run at away games because apparently thats when we don't make shots the most.

There have been MULTIPLE failed alley oops this season and I for one am glad that they stopped lobbing passes up there for him because he could never finish them or they were never put in the right place. Coley can get his dunks the old fashioned way until we have proven that alley oop isnā€™t secret Niner code for bad turnover.

A couple of extra passes and weā€™re wide open. Thatā€™s what Lutz means when he said Lee and the others need to trust their teammates a little more. Lee did it a couple times Saturday. Fake the shot and throw it inside to Mack who did a nice job one time but threw two more away trying to hit the cutter for a layup. Thatā€™s how we get better shots.

Also, since our big guys have trouble scoring in traffic, they are being told to pass it out to the open shooter if they canā€™t go right back up with it. We saw it maybe once Saturday. Another way to get good shooters open passes. Imagine Lee getting it and swinging it to Ian for an open three. Ian is very good when his feet are set.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;281724]

Gerrity played much better in the second half when he wasnā€™t playing with his back to the basket at half court listening to Lutz for 10-15 seconds every possession.
.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Lutz should station an assistant behind the basket with flash cards.

[QUOTE=gamer;281885]Maybe Lutz should station an assistant behind the basket with flash cards.[/QUOTE]

HEY YO!

:rimshot:

[QUOTE=gamer;281885]Maybe Lutz should station an assistant behind the basket with flash cards.[/QUOTE]
sounds a little too much like wissell ball.

[QUOTE=dax;281893]sounds a little too much like wissell ball.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for slowing that one down for the people who didnā€™t get itā€¦

[QUOTE=Powerbait;281894]Thanks for slowing that one down for the people who didnā€™t get itā€¦[/QUOTE]

Cocaine is a h*ll of a drugā€¦

[QUOTE=dax;281893]sounds a little too much like wissell ball.[/QUOTE]
Watching Gerrity turn around to get instructions from Lutz reminds me a lot of Wisselball. Only thing missing is the flash cards! :rolleyes:

Iā€™m gonna be honest with you, Iā€™ve never seen a PG do that on every trip down the court.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;281894][QUOTE=dax;281893][QUOTE=gamer;281885]Maybe Lutz should station an assistant behind the basket with flash cards.[/QUOTE]

sounds a little too much like wissell ball.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for slowing that one down for the people who didnā€™t get itā€¦[/QUOTE]
:lmao: