The (anti) Kitchen Floor Prospect List

[quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:17, topic:28598”]Not necessarily the case and especially in football. Nick Saban was an assistant for 16 years, Jimbo Fisher 19 years, and even our own football coach was an assistant for 20 years.

I love threads like this. After we fired Lutz we had 2 different threads filled with people wanting to hire Mike Rice. Wouldn’t that have been great?[/quote]

College Football and College Basketball are two different animals, they should not be compared. I just want a guy that has head coaching experience. I don’t think that’s to much to ask.

[quote=“EE9er, post:21, topic:28598”][quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:17, topic:28598”]Not necessarily the case and especially in football. Nick Saban was an assistant for 16 years, Jimbo Fisher 19 years, and even our own football coach was an assistant for 20 years.

I love threads like this. After we fired Lutz we had 2 different threads filled with people wanting to hire Mike Rice. Wouldn’t that have been great?[/quote]

College Football and College Basketball are two different animals, they should not be compared. I just want a guy that has head coaching experience. I don’t think that’s to much to ask.[/quote]

I wasn’t comparing them. He said assistant coaches in “all sports.”

Roy Williams 10 years, Bill Self 9 years, Jim Boeheim 8 years are all examples of longtime assistants succeeding as Head Coaches.

Re: Pearl- would be amazing. He still lives in Knoxville and works for a PR firm there. Word is he’s waiting out Cuonzo Martin’s time (which is growing short) and, believe it or not, this is very realistic since UT has a new AD and the boosters love Bruce. His son, Stephen (former UT player), lives in Knoxville and does sports radio there as well. Also, an SEC school that wants to be relevant in basketball would be foolish not to scoop him up once the show cause is over this year.

He would be a tough get for us, but crazier things have happened. He is the quintessential salesman coach (read: the anti-Alan Major).

[quote=“lucky57, post:18, topic:28598”]I was probably the first person to mention Pearl a few weeks ago.In the scheme of things his transgressions were very minor,in my mind.He wasn’t paying kids or grabbing them by the neck.And for anyone who knows the SEC,you know how little of a basketball school UT was before he got there and how much excitement he generated…and he won!

For those that say we could not afford him…my response is CAN WE AFFORD NOT TO BRING IN SOMEONE LIKE HIM …and watch the continuing spiral of apathy and poor performance in our bball program.Sometimes you’ve got to spend $$ to make $$.

Whether he’d take the job as a stepping stone to something bigger…THAT SHOULD BE THE WORST PROBLEM WE HAVE.

Bigger problem is that by canning Major Judy would be admitting that she failed and unless she’s thinking about retiring soon,I don’t see that happening.[/quote]
I looked it up a while back, and if I remember correctly Pearl made about $2 million his last year at UT. If he would work for half that he would be a bargain, but it would still require us to come up with a lot of extra money. I assume when you say “Sometimes you’ve got to spend $$ to make $$.” that is your offer to chip in? Since we cannot instantly materialize another 2000 49er Club donors to pay him, our existing members all need to bump their donations by $500. Count me in.

[quote=“Nugget, post:24, topic:28598”][quote=“lucky57, post:18, topic:28598”]I was probably the first person to mention Pearl a few weeks ago.In the scheme of things his transgressions were very minor,in my mind.He wasn’t paying kids or grabbing them by the neck.And for anyone who knows the SEC,you know how little of a basketball school UT was before he got there and how much excitement he generated…and he won!

For those that say we could not afford him…my response is CAN WE AFFORD NOT TO BRING IN SOMEONE LIKE HIM …and watch the continuing spiral of apathy and poor performance in our bball program.Sometimes you’ve got to spend $$ to make $$.

Whether he’d take the job as a stepping stone to something bigger…THAT SHOULD BE THE WORST PROBLEM WE HAVE.

Bigger problem is that by canning Major Judy would be admitting that she failed and unless she’s thinking about retiring soon,I don’t see that happening.[/quote]
I looked it up a while back, and if I remember correctly Pearl made about $2 million his last year at UT. If he would work for half that he would be a bargain, but it would still require us to come up with a lot of extra money. I assume when you say “Sometimes you’ve got to spend $$ to make $$.” that is your offer to chip in? Since we cannot instantly materialize another 2000 49er Club donors to pay him, our existing members all need to bump their donations by $500. Count me in.[/quote]

I’d do it, for that.

[quote=“Nugget, post:24, topic:28598”][quote=“lucky57, post:18, topic:28598”]I was probably the first person to mention Pearl a few weeks ago.In the scheme of things his transgressions were very minor,in my mind.He wasn’t paying kids or grabbing them by the neck.And for anyone who knows the SEC,you know how little of a basketball school UT was before he got there and how much excitement he generated…and he won!

I looked it up a while back, and if I remember correctly Pearl made about $2 million his last year at UT. If he would work for half that he would be a bargain, but it would still require us to come up with a lot of extra money. I assume when you say “Sometimes you’ve got to spend $$ to make $$.” that is your offer to chip in? Since we cannot instantly materialize another 2000 49er Club donors to pay him, our existing members all need to bump their donations by $500. Count me in.[/quote]

The AD should also be able to rally the troops. It is THEIR job to raise money. It is our job to support as best we can.

Sounds like fantasy $ again

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:26, topic:28598”][quote=“Nugget, post:24, topic:28598”][quote=“lucky57, post:18, topic:28598”]I was probably the first person to mention Pearl a few weeks ago.In the scheme of things his transgressions were very minor,in my mind.He wasn’t paying kids or grabbing them by the neck.And for anyone who knows the SEC,you know how little of a basketball school UT was before he got there and how much excitement he generated…and he won!

The AD should also be able to rally the troops. It is THEIR job to raise money. It is our job to support as best we can.[/quote]Absolutely, and I don’t think they do a good enough job of it. I think that is probably a very difficult job though. The reality is to make a change by mid-April the cash will have to come from the existing fanbase.

[quote=“Card49, post:27, topic:28598”]Sounds like fantasy $ again[/quote]It might be Card…I don’t know.But I do believe that if we continue with present regime we can set ourselves a permanent place near the bottom of a crap basketball conference,and all the frills that go with that…i.e.even lower attendance,even less national exposure(if that’s possible) even lousier ooc schedule(a hallmark of Major’s strategy of garnering wins at any level)…I’d much rather contribute what I can to procuring a head coach who can sell the program(while we still have something to sell) and actually coach and inspire his players…than waste my $$ any more on season tix to watch this.

[quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:17, topic:28598”][quote=“SteauA, post:8, topic:28598”]This may be a general observation that is 100% incorrect but it seems to me that guys who are assistants for 10+ years who then become head coaches (at any level and in any sport) very rarely succeed as head coaches. The point being, what didn’t they know after 5 years of being an assistant that they learned in the following 5 years? Not every coach is head coach material. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but this is just something I’ve observed.

Another interesting observation is the “fire the coach, hire the opposite style of coach” theory. If you listen to the Dan Patrick Show you’ve probably heard him talk about this before. Basically teams will have a fiery, exciting coach (i.e. Lutz), things go south, they fire that coach and hire the opposite personality, a mellow “player’s coach” (i.e. Major).

It will be interesting to see if the pattern continues with our next men’s basketball head coaching hire.[/quote]

Not necessarily the case and especially in football. Nick Saban was an assistant for 16 years, Jimbo Fisher 19 years, and even our own football coach was an assistant for 20 years.

[quote=“Nugget, post:28, topic:28598”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:26, topic:28598”][quote=“Nugget, post:24, topic:28598”][quote=“lucky57, post:18, topic:28598”]I was probably the first person to mention Pearl a few weeks ago.In the scheme of things his transgressions were very minor,in my mind.He wasn’t paying kids or grabbing them by the neck.And for anyone who knows the SEC,you know how little of a basketball school UT was before he got there and how much excitement he generated…and he won!

The AD should also be able to rally the troops. It is THEIR job to raise money. It is our job to support as best we can.[/quote]Absolutely, and I don’t think they do a good enough job of it. I think that is probably a very difficult job though. The reality is to make a change by mid-April the cash will have to come from the existing fanbase.[/quote]

Would be easier if they integrated themselves with the Charlotte community and made their presence felt at every single community event that happens in town.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:31, topic:28598”][quote=“Nugget, post:28, topic:28598”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:26, topic:28598”][quote=“Nugget, post:24, topic:28598”][quote=“lucky57, post:18, topic:28598”]I was probably the first person to mention Pearl a few weeks ago.In the scheme of things his transgressions were very minor,in my mind.He wasn’t paying kids or grabbing them by the neck.And for anyone who knows the SEC,you know how little of a basketball school UT was before he got there and how much excitement he generated…and he won!

The AD should also be able to rally the troops. It is THEIR job to raise money. It is our job to support as best we can.[/quote]Absolutely, and I don’t think they do a good enough job of it. I think that is probably a very difficult job though. The reality is to make a change by mid-April the cash will have to come from the existing fanbase.[/quote]

Would be easier if they were better at it.[/quote]

FTFY

Since we are allowing Pearl to un-disgrace himself, maybe he’ll take it for $400K + a % of NCAA tourney $. He knows he can qualify, so he can make it up. + if we start winning, he’ll get % of tv revenue, & would be hired away somewhere higher paying leaving us in better shape. It’s a win-win.

it’s not like gazillions came poring in when we got football. 7 million over four years earmarked for football isn’t that amazing.

it’s not like gazillions came poring in when we got football. 7 million over four years earmarked for football isn’t that amazing.[/quote]

Relative to our giving it was pretty amazing and it was amazing for FCS football. Compared to the bcs leagues though not amazing.

it’s not like gazillions came poring in when we got football. 7 million over four years earmarked for football isn’t that amazing.[/quote]

Relative to our giving it was pretty amazing and it was amazing for FCS football. Compared to the bcs leagues though not amazing.[/quote]

I think we could get him for less than the $2MM. Somebody has to take a chance on him before a big school will want him back. We know it, and he knows it. We could get a 4-5 year contract with him being able to opt out at 3 years if a bigger school came along.

We seem to have narrowed down our pick to Pearl pretty quickly. I would hire him with no concern about his NCAA violations, but I do not think we have a shot. If we were to fire Major we should make a run at him, but he will have bigger offers. If it comes down to us vs. Tennessee I might think we had a chance because of the cities. I lived in Knoxville for 2.5 years and while I enjoyed my time there, I was happy to get a chance to move back to Raleigh. Charlotte has a large, significant Jewish community…Knoxville not so much. Charlotte has shopping, restaurants, and cultural events that fit a multi-millionaire’s lifestyle–or more importantly, that of his wife should he remarry…Knoxville not so much. Charlotte is a sports media hub and Pearl is a guy that can continue to do some TV while coaching…Knoxville not so much. I don’t see him ending up in either place, but he would be a game changer for sure.

clt’s pick:http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&SPSID=89713&SPID=10721&DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=204932713

Have you ever any time in Knoxville???

Helluva place to live and coach. UT is supported over there better than sports team in Charlotte, probably all combined. The women outdraw the Bobcats/Hornets, lol.

As far as lifestyle, they have some beautiful lakes around Knoxville.

All that said, he ain’t coming here…

Have you ever any time in Knoxville???

Helluva place to live and coach. UT is supported over there better than sports team in Charlotte, probably all combined. The women outdraw the Bobcats/Hornets, lol.

As far as lifestyle, they have some beautiful lakes around Knoxville.

All that said, he ain’t coming here…[/quote]
No, they don’t. 11,000+ Vols women, 15,000+ for Bobcats