The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

clt says the Rivianā€™s off road capabilities put it in another class.

Lightning is very cool tho

My next vehicle will at least be partially gasoline powered. All electric is still decades away from matching current performance of the combustion engine.

Current electric offers far better performance already.

Gasoline offers better convenience.

With bait like thatā€¦

richard dreyfuss jaws GIF

Itā€™s simply not a true statement. Electric motors are tremendously more efficient than gasoline motors and have been for over 100 years. The problem with EVs is energy storage. Your real argument is that a fuel tank is easier and cheaper to live with than a battery stack.

FWIW though I think PHEVs do make a lot of sense for the foreseeable future - but they really do need to strive to offer 50 miles of real world battery range rather than 20 or so that some do now. 50 miles of range will knock out the overwhelming majority of average drivers daily trips.

The goal should be 50 miles of pure EV range and then 40mpg of hybrid efficiency with no less than 200hp.

1 Like

lol What??? Fully electric drivetrains are not only better now, they have been for years. This isnā€™t a new revelation. I have an eight year old BMW i3, and itā€™s crazy quick. EVā€™s are already more powerful, faster, more efficient, longer lasting than their ICE equivalents.

Maybe Iā€™m confused. What exactly do you mean by ā€œperformanceā€? I take it to mean 0-6 time, top speed, towing capacity, and maybe range.

I reserved a Cybertruck in April of 2020. Iā€™m something like number four hundred thousandth in line. You likely will get your Lightning first, but it wonā€™t be by as wide as gap as your thinking. In fact Iā€™ll make a friendly beer bet or 49er Club donation bet with ya that I will have my giant steel triangle on wheels no more than a year after your Lightning. Congrats on the reservation by the way. Iā€™m a Tesla fanboy and I prefer the weirder EVā€™s (I also have a BMW i3), but I really like the Lightning and give Ford tons of credit for coming up with a compelling product. I hope they sell tons of them.

Lolā€¦

Several media publications have published recent reports about people being stranded on Virginiaā€™s I-95 freeway. Following the reports, some people started a misinformation campaign stating that if EV owners had been stuck on the freeway, they would have been ā€œleft out in the coldā€ when the battery quickly died.

Weā€™ve already published an article debunking such nonsense. In addition, several people in the Tesla and EV community have put out articles and videos to prove that the misinformation isnā€™t just wrong, but the exact opposite is actually true.

A gas-powered car will almost certainly run out of gas sooner than an EV will die from its battery fully discharging, though there are obviously many variables involved, such as how much gas is in the tank, the EV batteryā€™s state of charge, etc. Regardless, as the ICE owner sits and waits in their car, theyā€™re parked on top of dangerous exhaust fumes, which could cause health issues. Kanninen shared:

ā€œNo, the recent nightmare on Virginiaā€™s I-95 would not have been worse if everyone had been driving electric vehicles instead of gas-powered vehicles. In fact, everyone would have had a far better experience if they had been driving an EV.ā€

Kanninen points to the recent Washington Post op-ed that claims EVs may "have littered the highway for milesā€ if everyone was driving electric cars during such a traffic backup. However, Kanninen was stuck on I-95 for 14 hours in his Model 3 Standard Range as he watched ICE drivers burning gas to keep the cars running. Meanwhile, his Model 3 wasnā€™t really ā€œrunningā€ per se, but just using the battery pack to keep the cabin warm.

If a gas car isnā€™t moving, those fumes tend to collect around the car and it can begin to smell inside the vehicle. If you can smell the fumes, youā€™d better bet theyā€™re entering your body and causing potential health problems. Sadly, if youā€™re an EV owner stranded near a bunch of idling gas cars, youā€™re also subject to those same noxious fumes, but thatā€™s beside the point here. If all the cars were EVs, that problem would cease to exist.

Kanninen goes on to share that he didnā€™t have to worry about wondering when he might run out of gas. Instead, he had a clear indication at all times of how much battery capacity was remaining. He also noted that since he charges his car at home, he hit the road with a full charge.

Thereā€™s a very good chance many gas-powered cars didnā€™t get stuck in the situation with a topped-off tank of gas. While itā€™s quite common to charge an EV often and keep the state of charge on the higher side, especially in colder weather, gas car owners commonly wait to fill up their tanks until theyā€™re getting low on fuel. In other words, it would arguably be uncommon for a gas car owner to pull into a gas station every day after each commute to make sure their car is topped off.

The op-edā€™s contention was that gas cars fare better in 20-hour emergency situations in freezing temperatures. The real math is that idling a gas car with a full tank, a driver can expect around 30 hours of warmth, while many popular EVs can surpass that. The most popular EV, the Tesla Model 3, has a ā€œcamp modeā€ that allows the car to efficiently maintain cabin temperature even while the vehicle is off. Reports show that it uses about 2% of the battery capacity per hour in freezing temperatures. The Model 3 ownersā€™ group on Facebook was quick to point that out.

The entire opinion piece that was used to discredit EVs was an inaccurate hit piece.

Figures.

1 Like
1 Like

Data is wonderful.

So a Mach E lost 25% of its charge idling for 12 hours in the same well below freezing temps as the I-95 extreme case scenario, even though the operator kept the cabin between 70 and 75 degrees using air vents and heated seats for the duration of the test.

And it was done in a pre production model without software optimized to extend the battery life.

The Mach E also doesnā€™t have the special ā€œcamp modeā€ Tesla has or a heat pump like the Tesla has, both of which are more efficient.

That entire hit piece posted by @anon80335937 was a giant crock of crap. Just another ridiculous attempt to slander EVs.

Thanks Run.

1 Like

Thought this was interesting article. My disdain for EVs has nothing to do with what many of the complaints are about. I just hate driving them.

Great. It idles in the cold. Big freaking deal. Dress warm now. Stop and go and stop

I thought Bernie would have Vermont ev friendly

1 Like

Those Rivians are awesome. Wish they werenā€™t so expensive. Iā€™d buy one in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Car and Driver: How Long Can an EV Keep the Cabin Warm When Itā€™s Cold Out? We Found Out.

Had a regular tailgater explain to me I needed to turn the ambulance into an EV. Lol tried to explain to him the weight of the things BN and how many batteries it would take :rofl: