The EV news thread 🔌

You’ll be 70-80 years old before light rail makes it to Belmont sadly.

The silver line is going to progress at a snails pace.

Probably but that’s when I’ll really need it.

clt asks if gaston county is putting any money towards that train?

clt says greenways > sidewalks

Gaston County, Belmont, Mount Holly and Gastonia have set aside money for studying and planning. They said they will contribute to construction, but I haven’t heard anything formal on that.

clt says this could be badass for tailgating

1 Like

Thats Hot GIF by Paris Hilton

Their prices need to come down. The GC 4xE is ludicrously expensive.

FYI, 500kw = 670hp.

This car can run on pure electric mode at reduced (around 500 hp) power, but it’s meant to also use a bit of hydrogen fuel for full power. Also, if you fill it with hydrogen, you can recharge the battery from that (intended to be situational, not everyday) and not have to plug in. Since hydrogen fill times are comparable to gas (takes a few seconds longer to setup), that alleviates long range trip refueling anxiety.

Lot of cool tech in this car - and that’s what this thing is. A test bed for lots of ideas about how to maximize the emerging tech to deliver the best driving experience.

And yes, this car is a beast on the track.

Hyundai engineers are crushing it on designs.

I love the look of my car. It turns heads everywhere I go.

I will say the ioniq 6 is a bit of a dud though. It’s not awful but it looks like someone described a Porsche 911 to their friend then the friend described it to someone else, and that person tried to draw it.

1 Like

clt says kia/hyundai hired an audi designer. smart move.

1 Like

It’s a Kia Delorean.

In the nicest way possible.

I think it looks pretty great though I don’t like the solid wheels.

The ioniq5 looks awesome. I love it. haha your description of the ioniq6 is great, and accurate. I’ve also seen it described as a dead fish, which is also accurate.

Lol. They’re quite serious about this though. Say it could go 143 mph:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just purchase a Dodge Charger?

That van is super practical but also eye watering-ly (issat a word?) expensive.

I’m aware that VW is touting a $40k “starting” price in the US for a 2024 model, but that seems wholly unbelievable for two reasons:

1. USA is getting the longer wheelbase / bigger battery version

2. The short wheelbase version is (pre) selling for up to 70k euros in europe.

Example:

(I timestamped the price discussion from this very recent review. Notice the starting price of 64.5k euros)

Those two facts are not compatible with a 40k launch price in the USA.

Something has to give in EV pricing. We cannot have subsidies forever.

I kept expecting the R&D and economies of scale to do what tech usually does and eventually drop production costs down. But instead, they’re going up due to supply chain issues and limited lithium and other component supplies.

Entire industry needs to figure itself out.