The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

Hit that monthly price point and you can do anything.

clt says the altimas will never die

People who buy vehicles based on a monthly price are uneducated or just idiots. So frustrating.

Thats like me talking to a guy to a bar about the prices of new cars. He just bought a new bronco, I asked what made him go buy a new car in this market and he said man the bronco is just so cool had to have one. Then continued his rant about cars being too expensive.

Moron.

Not EV related but still computer related. I read and article about a farmer who had a John Deere. It had something wrong with it but only a John Deere dealer can work on it. To get into the computer and diagnose it requires a dealer code. Farmer said it was sitting there and he cant get anyone to work on a tractor that he owns.

I absolutely see that as a near future state. Tesla is notorious for not wanting people poking around their cars or self maintenance. I suspect all the manufactures will want to make sure things are locked down - going so far as the monthly service fee to ā€œmaintainā€ the vehicle and disabling cars that are self modified.

You know some custom companies will remain, just like your computer. You can get an apple product that needs 85 dongles and can only be fixed by apple or you can build your own PC and play with it all day long. I donā€™t forsee a market where the aftermarket completly dies.

Yeah probably goes underground though if these companies really want to stomp it out. The interesting thing will be the self driving feature. If the manufacturer can be held liable for accidents the self driving car does then I can see them really making any after market tubing difficult.

The problem with your comparison is that cars are more like iPhones than PCs. The average person cannot buy a car in pieces from dozens of manufacturers and build their own (Iā€™m sure someone could do it). You can do that with PCs and there are still a good # of manufacturers for the various components competing for your $. Thatā€™s why they are still affordable. The car analogy almost perfectly aligns with Apple and its artificially high prices and rule against owners working on their devices (ā€œright to repairā€ lawsuits).

I think EVs are headed the way of iPhones, and not even Android phones, which are cheaper due to more competition.

Edit - that also brings up another scummy apple practice - planned obsolescence. Itā€™s been done in cars before too (due to cheap quality parts rather than software), so it wouldnā€™t even be new to the industry.

2 Likes

Ask anyone who has spent time in the car businessā€¦ This is the way the vast majority of buyers purchase cars.

clt says used broncos are out there, why pay a premium?

You Are Dumb Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Yep, and it doesnā€™t change what I think of those people. Uneducated or idiots.

First thing I tell a sales guy is Iā€™m looking to buy a car not a payment. If I even bother to talk to him/her.

I have seen a bunch of broncos on used lots.

Theyā€™re cool to look at but apparently not that great to live with. Even saw someone like TFL on YouTube doing a video suggesting the Bronco Sport (aka Ford Escape with a better looking body) is the better buy as its easier to live with, cheaper, and in some trims, moderately off-road capable.

That could be said about wranglers too, or really niche model.

My wife has her heart set on a new big bronco. I really thought her next car would be an EV but guess itā€™s gonna be a big off-road convertible bronco. Iā€™ve told her though nothing until market cools off.

Iā€™d love to have one as a 3rd car. Iā€™d keep the top off 24/7 and only drive it under clear skies.

1 Like

She has a Mazda 3 now, we are keeping that for my daughter. Adding the bronco to the fleet at some point. I actually have a commercial insurance policy. Just a matter of time until an EV joins.

My buddy has a BMW ev, he loves it for around town. Iā€™m not sure what EV Iā€™d want. I thought maybe a motorcycle but not sure there is one out there I want right now. An ev motorcycle is an answer to a question no one is asking. Probably would go for a hybrid of some sort. I fully expect my cars not to change for awhile.

Agree but there are reasons to be concerned about a payment. For instance, if your company gives you a monthly allowance that number is very important

Monthly payment is a consideration, it just is way down the list. Lock in the total price, down payment, trade in, add ins all of that and THEN talk monthly payment.

My last few car and motorcycle purchases have been used and paid cash. Definitely prefer that.

On another EV note - Iā€™m curious if we end up with fees related to dumping the used batteries or if the companies able to recycle them take that part of supply chain. Similar to the used tires fees.

And bring your own financing. But donā€™t tell them until you lock down price.

2 Likes

clt says lock in the out the door price before you visit dealer. drive car and then decide.

1 Like