The official “It’s just a tip” thread of Polls

What does NNN think about tipping?

At a sit down restaurant I normally tip…
  • <10%
  • 10-15%
  • 16-20%
  • 21%+

0 voters

My tip % is based on pre-tax or post-tax total?
  • The total excluding tax
  • The total including tax

0 voters

When ordering take-out, I normally tip…
  • $0
  • $1-3
  • 10%
  • 15%
  • 20%+

0 voters

Do you tip after buying scoops of ice cream?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

When at dinner, if you order a $100 bottle of wine do you tip…
  • I include that $100 in with the same total % I tip food
  • I break-out that amount for a less tip and not with the total food amount tip %

0 voters

Should tipping end in the US where employers have to pay their employees a wage and they can build in that cost to the price?
  • No, I like how it is now
  • Yes

0 voters

1 Like
Do you tip coffee baristas?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you tip for a funnel cake at a fair?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

When at a wedding, does it make sense people tip bar tender but not the other service workers (e.g. pickup your plates or serve dinner)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Whenever I pay a bill and the screen asks for a tip…
  • I feel obligated to tip and generally do even if I don’t want to
  • I have no problem hitting $0 tip on that screen

0 voters

Does it make sense that if we order 2 entrees at different prices but same work for the server, if tipping based on % then it would be different?
  • Yes, it’s just the average
  • No

0 voters

If a server enforced the 18% tip on parties of 6 or more…
  • I’m offended assuming they don’t trust I’ll leave more and so I don’t add any to the tip even if it was good service.
  • I add more if it was good service, I understand why they do it so I don’t get offended

0 voters

I overtip at places I frequent, by a lot but I generally leave around 25% anywhere I go.

Hell I tip repairmen that come to my house $20 or so. You never know when you gonna need them again and hopefully they remember

1 Like

hot dog GIF

clt says this is a sensitive issue.

1 Like

Went to France and Spain last week and thoroughly enjoyed not having to tip.

Was also interesting not being herded out quickly and having a relaxed dinner.

2 Likes

I go to Europe and Far East 1-2 times a year for work. It’s really nice that the gratuity is baked into the price and you are only tipping additional for great service, no expectation. I usually throw like 4-5 bucks extra. They love it when American’s come over and don’t understand that it’s in price. The wait staff actually fight to get American’s tables.

Hootie, are your repairmen AKA strippers? jk

1 Like

clt says we need to catch up with the rest of the world and be able to pay at the table with a mobile device

2 Likes
Do any of the poll results above surprise you?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

If any poll results surprised you, which one/s did?

• yes
  • of course

0 voters

clt asks if polls are the best nnn feature

2 Likes

I’m surprised at the % that tip on ice cream (although I shouldn’t I suppose if I look at the result of the obligated to tip question) and the % that would tip normal food % on a $100 bottle of wine.

Are people tipping on the tax because they think the difference in not doing so is so immaterial/cheap? Or are they not thinking about it?

I like the tipping concept generally because do servers work harder for unknown tips? I think that way but I still get bad service so maybe that’s a bad way of thinking. Since covid I’ve started liking takeout and not having to leave “expected” tips after getting subpar service.

1 Like

In Europe, them not working for a tip meant to me not getting asked if everything was ok every 5 minutes and not getting nudged to head on home.

It did mean you had to be a little more vocal about what you wanted, but I’ll take that vs our model.

It seems most here are good tippers but it’s crazy how often servers get shafted. I’m in roll the tips in club just because of that.

clt says this chat page is full of well paid folks who appreciate good service

Anyone ever leave a tip in the hotel room for the person who cleans it? I was told this was standard and that the cleaning employees expect it. I never do because the supervisor comes around to ensure the guests have left prior to the cleaning person coming in.

clt says leave the dirty towels in a neat pile on the bathroom floor, make sure your cigs are out and leave a $20 on the nightstand

I worked in a hotel for years. This is not true. It is true on the other hand for room attendants on cruise ships where the vast majority of their income is from tips.

I don’t always have cash on me when I need for tips like hotel rooms. Even for the bell hops… I’ll pull up with no cash and ask for a cart to do myself and I’m not allowed to use myself. I’ll try and find the guy later in the trip with some cash but don’t always find him. PayPal should be the norm.