The one play out of many that I can not understand.

Been off the board for awhile for my sanity and a few medical issues one of which was a 7mm kidney stone I have had the last 8 weeks that looks like a frosted flake but still is not as painful as this sh!t season.

With 44 seconds to go in the second half with the score tied @ 60 with MTSU in possession and the game on the line for some reason I focused in on Henry on the defensive end and I do not know what to think of it. On the play he is down low on Upshaws side and is basically not moving with his hands on his knees. The play comes to his side and he never moves with his hands still on his knees till the screener comes to him. The only move he ever makes is to step right into the screener and take himself out of the play and then stands an watches as Upshaw goes in for the dunk. If anyone can pull that up and put on here I would love to know some of the reactions from it. The gambler in me has bells going off like crazy when paired with the WTF TO’s he had and the key decisions he made from the 12:00 minute mark on in the second half. I know all our TO’s are 90% WTF between him and Williams but that play just did not look or feel right at that moment in the game with the season on the line. Maybe the pain meds have made me paranoid and incoherent but damn that was an obvious gimme. If anyone can post video from 44 second mark till dunk I think you can see what I mean. H#ll I know we were throwing in the towel on the season but that play can not happen with still a chance left to advance and a tie score.

Body language from a lot of guys says transfers definitely coming no matter what the coaching situation is with Blakely the first out.

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:1, topic:29475”]Been off the board for awhile for my sanity and a few medical issues one of which was a 7mm kidney stone I have had the last 8 weeks that looks like a frosted flake but still is not as painful as this sh!t season.

With 44 seconds to go in the second half with the score tied @ 60 with MTSU in possession and the game on the line for some reason I focused in on Henry on the defensive end and I do not know what to think of it. On the play he is down low on Upshaws side and is basically not moving with his hands on his knees. The play comes to his side and he never moves with his hands still on his knees till the screener comes to him. The only move he ever makes is to step right into the screener and take himself out of the play and then stands an watches as Upshaw goes in for the dunk. If anyone can pull that up and put on here I would love to know some of the reactions from it. The gambler in me has bells going off like crazy when paired with the WTF TO’s he had and the key decisions he made from the 12:00 minute mark on in the second half. I know all our TO’s are 90% WTF between him and Williams but that play just did not look or feel right at that moment in the game with the season on the line. Maybe the pain meds have made me paranoid and incoherent but damn that was an obvious gimme. If anyone can post video from 44 second mark till dunk I think you can see what I mean. H#ll I know we were throwing in the towel on the season but that play can not happen with still a chance left to advance and a tie score.

Body language from a lot of guys says transfers definitely coming no matter what the coaching situation is with Blakely the first out.[/quote]

Dorn was covering the screener and should have switched. He didn’t and the only guy who COULD contest Upshaw was Thorne and he had to come from the other side of the basket. Very athletic play from Upshaw. MTSU deserved the win.

I did think it was weird Henry calmly bring the ball up with 20 sec. I would have wanted them to push the ball and extend the game.

[quote=“MEGRNiner, post:2, topic:29475”][quote=“TheShowDawg, post:1, topic:29475”]Been off the board for awhile for my sanity and a few medical issues one of which was a 7mm kidney stone I have had the last 8 weeks that looks like a frosted flake but still is not as painful as this sh!t season.

Body language from a lot of guys says transfers definitely coming no matter what the coaching situation is with Blakely the first out.[/quote]

Dorn was covering the screener and should have switched. He didn’t and the only guy who COULD contest Upshaw was Thorne and he had to come from the other side of the basket. Very athletic play from Upshaw. MTSU deserved the win.[/quote]

Is this the play where Henry actually picked Dorn by trying to stick with Dorn’s man too long? Maybe that was the layup before.

[quote=“MEGRNiner, post:2, topic:29475”][quote=“TheShowDawg, post:1, topic:29475”]Been off the board for awhile for my sanity and a few medical issues one of which was a 7mm kidney stone I have had the last 8 weeks that looks like a frosted flake but still is not as painful as this sh!t season.

Dorn was covering the screener and should have switched. He didn’t and the only guy who COULD contest Upshaw was Thorne and he had to come from the other side of the basket. Very athletic play from Upshaw. MTSU deserved the win.[/quote]

So you are saying pain meds have definitely kicked in…thank goodness…hard to stomach this any other way.

Henry’s key turnovers also have hurt the team late in many games with many unforced. He has played all year like his mind was not focused on the game. But he’s just a kid and had no coach motivating him to get in the game. Next season a new coach will push the team to perform and bring some life to the team. Teams reflect their coaches personality in how they play, and it seems obvious why they never seem to play very hard. The tv announcers mentioned tonight that we didn’t seem to play with the same energy as Middle Tennessee and that was the key to the loss.

clt says we should avoid the black unis. Apprarently our players tend to confuse our unis with the refs black and white shirts.

Heck, I’m still trying to sort out last season’s headscratching loss to UAB in Halton when A) we allowed Fordham-transfer Fahro Alihodzic to tip in the winning basket and B) a nonchalant Henry allowed Charlottean Chad Frazier to pick his pocket and run out the clock on the ensuing play!

LOL- I guess it was the coaches that made him turn it over and jack up a long 3 on 3 of the last 4 possessions. They probably made TWill turn it over on 4 straght possessions too.

I agree we need a coaching change but damn. Do the “Senior Leaders” not get any heat?? I think that’s ridiculoous

LOL- I guess it was the coaches that made him turn it over and jack up a long 3 on 3 of the last 4 possessions. They probably made TWill turn it over on 4 straght possessions too.

I agree we need a coaching change but damn. Do the “Senior Leaders” not get any heat?? I think that’s ridiculoous[/quote]

I honestly believe our seniors held us back somewhat, don’t get me wrong they showed alot of brilliance in some spots but constant dumb turnovers and ill-advised drives to the basket when the lane was full was the normal for both of them. I feel like alot of the times there was just as many dumb moments as there were good moments.

I agree we need a coaching change but damn. Do the “Senior Leaders” not get any heat?? I think that’s ridiculoous[/quote]

They get heat for sure, but after 4 years of basially the same play both are still playing a ton of minutes. That is on the coach. If you keep putting players on the court who make bonehead plays then it falls on you as the coach. If they are the best players on the bench - well then that also falls on the coach as the recruiter.

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:1, topic:29475”]Been off the board for awhile for my sanity and a few medical issues one of which was a 7mm kidney stone I have had the last 8 weeks that looks like a frosted flake but still is not as painful as this sh!t season.

I saw it TSD and thought the exact same thing. I was focused on Henry. It looked like he was trying to coax them into passing it to his guy to intercept it by having his hands on his knees like he was hurting. Next thing you know, he gets picked and Upshaw slams it home.

We didn’t seal off the lanes the whole game. We gave it to them freely.

Twill is our Lance Stevenson.

I thought Henry looked exhausted on that defensive set and it carried over to his bad decisions on offense. Sorry for him the way it ended, he gave his all.

I really think the root cause it’s no faith in your teammates. Henry needed to stop trying to take over the game. Dorn was fantastic and I would’ve liked him to get the chance to drive and create. I think the future looks better than most here believe but we need the staff to find a way to motivate that teamwork. The pieces are there for a decent team. No, not top 25 talent as some laughably suggested, but cusa winning talent yes.

[quote=“elrodvt, post:15, topic:29475”]I thought Henry looked exhausted on that defensive set and it carried over to his bad decisions on offense. Sorry for him the way it ended, he gave his all.

I really think the root cause it’s no faith in your teammates. Henry needed to stop trying to take over the game. Dorn was fantastic and I would’ve liked him to get the chance to drive and create. I think the future looks better than most here believe but we need the staff to find a way to motivate that teamwork. The pieces are there for a decent team. No, not top 25 talent as some laughably suggested, but cusa winning talent yes.[/quote]

absolutely not laughable to suggest top 25 talent. Look at the core of next season. Dorn, woods, izundu. Lots of size and good shooters. There is a difference between top 25 talent and top 10 talent. I dont really think top 25 talent is saying as much as you think it is. Its very feasible to say we have that next season. Teams hovering around 20-25 aren’t playing with UK or duke type talent.

[quote=“wearecharlotte57, post:16, topic:29475”][quote=“elrodvt, post:15, topic:29475”]I thought Henry looked exhausted on that defensive set and it carried over to his bad decisions on offense. Sorry for him the way it ended, he gave his all.

I really think the root cause it’s no faith in your teammates. Henry needed to stop trying to take over the game. Dorn was fantastic and I would’ve liked him to get the chance to drive and create. I think the future looks better than most here believe but we need the staff to find a way to motivate that teamwork. The pieces are there for a decent team. No, not top 25 talent as some laughably suggested, but cusa winning talent yes.[/quote]

absolutely not laughable to suggest top 25 talent. Look at the core of next season. Dorn, woods, izundu. Lots of size and good shooters. There is a difference between top 25 talent and top 10 talent. I dont really think top 25 talent is saying as much as you think it is. Its very feasible to say we have that next season. Teams hovering around 20-25 aren’t playing with UK or duke type talent.[/quote]

I can see Dorn and possibly woods. But not the overall team. I’m not routing against it or anything, hope you’re right.

[quote=“wearecharlotte57, post:16, topic:29475”][quote=“elrodvt, post:15, topic:29475”]I thought Henry looked exhausted on that defensive set and it carried over to his bad decisions on offense. Sorry for him the way it ended, he gave his all.

absolutely not laughable to suggest top 25 talent. Look at the core of next season. Dorn, woods, izundu. Lots of size and good shooters. There is a difference between top 25 talent and top 10 talent. I dont really think top 25 talent is saying as much as you think it is. Its very feasible to say we have that next season. Teams hovering around 20-25 aren’t playing with UK or duke type talent.[/quote]

I think saying you have top 25 talent is equivalent to saying you have the ability to be a top 50 team. Think about how many teams rotate in and out of receiving votes and the 20-25 spot throughout the season and stay somewhere within that range. That usually tracks back to 40 or so teams. If you’re up for an at large it’s typically best to have a sub 50 RPI. Do I think we have the talent to reach that point? Yes. We just haven’t.

I think Henry’s back issues might have hampered him some late in the season and may be part of the issue on this play. He has looked particularly stiff on the court this year to me, and moves on defense much slower than in the past. He also seemed hesitant to fight through picks moreso than in the past. Only he really knows for sure, but he did seem to be less fluid in his movements, so maybe he was dealing with a lot of pain or stiffness?

That said, the entire team simply did not play with the kind of consistent defensive intensity they needed for most of the season. We’d turn it up for very short periods near the end of games when we were behind, then it’d disappear until the next time that happened. Lack of depth may be part of the problem for why coaches didn’t encourage greater intensity at other parts of the game, but I’m not sure that was a good decision if true.