The same debate again

Yeah, some how he was rated #1 on ESPN. He wasn’t ranked nearly as high on the other recruiting services. That rating certainly affected fan expectations.

He was the second rated post player…behind LeBron

FWIW, Jahmir had offers from us, Hofstra, La Salle, and ODU. Had zero interest from his dream school in College Park.

Bobby was also a key part of the previous staffs here who built what was happening when he took over as HC. Dont act like he came in off the street and became HC.

Bobby was a fighter and cared…thats what I loved about him.

2 Likes

Firing Bobby was always a bad decision.

3 Likes

No, it wasnt…you have just stated it so many times youd never admit it was a mistake now. He was fired after going 19-12 and had been nationally ranked in January of that season. It was a shitty decision then and it looks even shittier now.

2 Likes

I know I know I know you loved Bobby. I loved him too. If he had come back I wouldn’t have been mad but firing him there was fine too. If the standard was NCAA then he had gone long enough without making it to justify firing. Just like firing Ron now is totally fine. You fail expectations enough times then there should be ramifications.

2 Likes

In hindsight, it was a F_ckin horrible decision to fire Bobby and not Judy and Phil.

Who gives a damn how the conference tourney is structured?

You either win games or you done.

Ron is not winning games in the conf tourney. He’s not going to the NCAAs. He’s not winning the regular season title.

How you continue to defend Sanchez is mind boggling.

Are you ready to put anything on record as to a specific metric he has to meet next year before he will finally need to be fired?

1 Like

He’s Ted Sanchez. What do you expect Ted Sanchez to do?

1 Like

A leader does not publicly criticize his subordinates. Hill may not be happy, but he is not going to criticize him in the media. Potential future coaches would not think much of him for doing that. I suspect that the end of the road is coming at the end of next year for Sanchez. Hill is probably not happy, but he was not going to fire two coaches in the same year. Rome was not built in a day. Many of our programs were under performing. It takes time to turn them all around. And obviously Hill is not going to hit a home run on every hire. But he must hit on the majority of hires, or he will be looking at a job. In addition, it is possible that Hill is discussing this with the chancellor. In the long run, one more year makes little difference. With our two best players hitting the portal, I have a feeling it is going to be a long year and firing Hill will be justified next year if Hill has the money to fire him. When he does fire him, I hope that he hires a proven head coach. I would rather have a proven winner from a lower division than an assistant in Division 1.

1 Like

I have never called out Mike for his public words on Ron. I get it. I’ve had dinner with Mike and talked basketball. He is also probably hoping that Ron turns it around.

With that said he can still tell the fanbase winning matters and what our expectations are.

1 Like

One day, Hill will write a note to self, being “Fire Ron Sanchez”

It’s inevitable.

No I am not suggesting you called out Hill. My comment is not directed at your comment. Many seem to be upset that Hill is not showing his displeasure publicly, but he is not going to do that. Some say that he shows too much support for Sanchez. That is what he is supposed to do publicly even if he is not happy. It would not be professional for Hill to do anything less than show full support for Sanchez. Hill will fire Sanchez when all of the stars align.

For those that continually bash Judy, keep in mind, she was the one that hired Bobby as Head Coach to begin with, and also extended him, even though he was showing signs of not wanting to, or maybe being able to recruit any more. Also, his sideline rants (as entertaining as they were to us) had drawn the ire of the league officials and there were several times it seemed that the officials stopped making anything other than the most blatant calls in our favor during games.

1 Like

She also tried to not hire Melvin.

Every bit of our success in basketball can be traced to Jeff Mullins. She deserves no credit.

4 Likes

I was always glad Melvin got the job and believe a lot of our slow fade into mediocrity, can be traced directly back to his leaving.

But based upon the criteria you and others use for who our next coach or any coach we hire should be, then if Judy wanted to instead pursue a proven D1 head coach 1st, instead of hiring an assistant coach, then she should be applauded. Right?

That is probably the worst “take” i have read, relating to Melvin and Bobby.

3 Likes

If you have a clear successor on the bench and a winning program you should almost always elevate from within.

If you suck and have sucked hiring someone with a thin resume is an elevated risk.