The same debate again

No I am not suggesting you called out Hill. My comment is not directed at your comment. Many seem to be upset that Hill is not showing his displeasure publicly, but he is not going to do that. Some say that he shows too much support for Sanchez. That is what he is supposed to do publicly even if he is not happy. It would not be professional for Hill to do anything less than show full support for Sanchez. Hill will fire Sanchez when all of the stars align.

For those that continually bash Judy, keep in mind, she was the one that hired Bobby as Head Coach to begin with, and also extended him, even though he was showing signs of not wanting to, or maybe being able to recruit any more. Also, his sideline rants (as entertaining as they were to us) had drawn the ire of the league officials and there were several times it seemed that the officials stopped making anything other than the most blatant calls in our favor during games.

1 Like

She also tried to not hire Melvin.

Every bit of our success in basketball can be traced to Jeff Mullins. She deserves no credit.

4 Likes

I was always glad Melvin got the job and believe a lot of our slow fade into mediocrity, can be traced directly back to his leaving.

But based upon the criteria you and others use for who our next coach or any coach we hire should be, then if Judy wanted to instead pursue a proven D1 head coach 1st, instead of hiring an assistant coach, then she should be applauded. Right?

That is probably the worst “take” i have read, relating to Melvin and Bobby.

3 Likes

If you have a clear successor on the bench and a winning program you should almost always elevate from within.

If you suck and have sucked hiring someone with a thin resume is an elevated risk.

Alan Major had no resume. Mark Price had no coaching resume. Ron Sanchez’s main credential was that he was a top assistant at a good program, but no head coaching resume.

I absolutely refuse to believe that we could not attract a winning coach at a lower level D1 conference to come in and take over.

I honestly believe our bad hires have been the direct result of the collective hubris of our athletic directors. They refused to use search services and thought and think they are the smartest people in the room when that obviously isn’t true.

I cannot believe we are going into a year six with Sanchez and starting in the AAC with him and his totally dismantled team. It’s mind boggling that we are here. I absolutely refuse to hear this crap about finances. We have a top 80 budget out of over 350 D1 programs. Mike still thinks he is right about Ron and everyone else is an idiot… Or he is a Chapel hill plant and doing his best to prevent basketball from ever being anything respectable ever again.

And before someone pipes up with “Ron was a great hire on paper” as soon as I heard him talk at the introductory press conference I was worried. The same stuff we have today was in place then. A lot of soft words and zero intention of being held accountable. In my experience “trust the process” people without any substance behind that are fakers, pretenders. I’ve worked for people like that before and they are horrible at running anything or building anything. Mike should have known from the interview that Sanchez was all fluff and no substance, but maybe that’s why he loves him so much, gives him exactly what he really wants.

2 Likes

Great post.

Simply a false narrative. Yes Mullins was no doubt the architect and should be appreciated.

But if you’re gonna lay the blame at Judy’s feet for the bad things then at least have the courtesy to give her credit for the good that happened.

I’m not a historian but I think Halton happened under her regime. I think that helped to elevate the program.

Basically, I’m Switzerland but it wasn’t all bad, personality conflicts from everyone aside.

1 Like

Nor have any of our other assistant coach hires.

Jeff is the one that enabled Halton - it did open under Judy. Jeff negotiated our Metro and CUSA membership as well.

I’ll give Judy credit for some things - mostly knowing changing our name was important. Once she didn’t have a choice she stopped trying to stop football. There are things, but all of our men’s basketball success can be traced back to Jeff. The first step she made without his finger prints was Alan Major.

Sanchez is not even mediocre

1 Like

standing ovation applause GIF

1 Like

I agree with most of what Niner central says. I don’t understand hiring a coach that has not been a proven HC. I think that was Hill’s first mistake. I think Hill’s extension of Sanchez put him in this predicament. After the extension and some time passing, then comes the firing of Healey. Now he cannot fire Sanchez until next year. I think it will come next year. But, if what some think is true, that Hill is satisfied with Sanchez then I don t know what to say. Sanchez is not going to be able to turn the program around. I don’t think this was the year to fire him bc he had just fired Healey. But next year has got to be the year unless things turn dramatically. I am and have been with the group stating that Sanchez is not the guy we need. But I believe there is a good time and bad time. This year was not the time.

2 Likes

Comments request to Ted Sanchez and Dlb

Neither are some of the haters on here.

1 Like

Again, you only really have haters if youre successful, ron isn’t.

Who is on your list Ted Sanchez? Let’s see your full list

This was pretty much the sentiment of most people on the board at the time. Many folks wanted a proven HC with a dynamic offense. We got the opposite and it hasn’t worked out to date. I highly doubt it improves next season, and I think Sanchez is gone.

You guys notice Ted ignored my question on any specific metric he would like to apply to Sanchez next year.

Just like he ignored direct questions the day Brice and Aly transferred.

He will have fresh excuses for Sanchez next year.