The Shawshank Redemption

is the greatest movie of all time

It’s certainly in my personal Top 5.

Braveheart
Swingers
Caddyshack
A Few Good Men
Ski School

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er[/i]@Sep 12 2004, 09:55 AM [b] Braveheart Swingers Caddyshack A Few Good Men Ski School [/b]
Caddyshack is easily the best golf movie of all time (if not sports movie).

But Ski School?! LOL… thats just sad.

Godfather
Godfather II
Sleepers
Raging Bull
Goodfellas

GF 1 & 2
Gladiator
Braveheart
Saving Private Ryan
Tombstone

Saving Private Ryan
The Green Mile
Bull Durham
The Graduate
Hoosiers

Anyone who doesn’t think Hoosiers is the greatest sports movie of all-time is wrong.

you know whats weird, no matter what top 100 or top 150 movies list you see, the shawshank redemption is never on them. why the heck is that? its easily one of the top ten movies of all time. i would have it at #1 though

In no particular order:

A Clockwork Orange
Braveheart
Goodfellas
Apocalypse Now
Shawshank

Actually, doing just a top 5 is too hard. I could easily substitute about 15 more movies for my top 5 depending on my mood at the time.

Usual Suspects
Reservoir Dogs
Gladiator
Sixth Sense
Full Metal Jacket
Forrest Gump
Godfather II
Godfather
Scarface
Silence of the Lambs
Coming To America
Jaws
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Pulp Fiction
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Sep 12 2004, 03:09 AM [b] is the greatest movie of all time [/b]
It is the perfect movie...There is nothing I would change about it and I can't help but watch it everytime I come across it.

the greatest movie of all time is citizen kane.

A Clockwork Orange? It’s borderline unwatchable to me, kind of like Lou Reed’s album after “Take a Walk on the Wild Side”. It was unlistenable (is that a word?), I don’t remember the name of it.

Also, I remember thinking I liked Apocalypse Now, but I saw it recently on a rainy Sunday and it’s just too slow, I quit watching it.

But, if you liked them you like them, not trying to be a jerk.

I certainly wouldn’t expect everyone to like A Clockwork Orange, but I’m definitely not alone. It’s #73 on IMDB.com’s Top 250 movies of all time and is a great film on many levels. Not not going to appeal to everyone though but you can’t watch it just on the level of entertainment alone. It goes far beyond that.

Of course, there are 3 Lord of the Rings movies in IMDB.com’s top 10 also and I’d rather watch paint dry than sit through two minutes combined of all three movies, so to each their own I suppose. :slight_smile:

IMDB.com is a great site by the way. Probably one of the best around for the film/TV industry with more info than you could possibly care to look through.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Sep 14 2004, 09:13 PM [b] IMDB.com is a great site by the way. Probably one of the best around for the film/TV industry with more info than you could possibly care to look through. [/b]
Definitely. I'm helping out in a Film History class as part of my student teaching this year, and the teacher and I point students towards that site all the time when they're doing research.

Clockwork is a classic, and I love Kubrick’s films…But, JCL is right, you can’t expect everyone to like a movie like that, half of why I love it is b/c it is so different.

Swingers is great too, and I’d have to agree with Pulp Fiction as well…and A Few Good Men, i cant turn the channel on that movie.

How about Old School? Thats a friggin comedy classic…

I’ll throw Snatch out in the mix as well…

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Sep 14 2004, 09:55 PM [b] Clockwork is a classic, and I love Kubrick's films...But, JCL is right, you can't expect everyone to like a movie like that, half of why I love it is b/c it is so different.

[/b]

Exactly.

If I were having some friends over for a fun “movie night” then ACO would be about the last movie I’d throw in the DVD player. I think when you do a “Your Favorite Movie” list or something, it helps to establish some sort of context for the rankings. I based a couple of mine on more than drawing people to the box office.

Kubrick was brilliant. I could probably do a Top 5 list based on his movies, alone.

Best Movies

It’s a Wonderful Life
Lord of the Rings I,II,III
Forrest Gump
Godfather
Braveheart
Debbie does Dallas :unsure:

Best Comedies

Trading Places
Old School
Tommy Boy
Something about mary
Happy Gilmore
Caddy

[b]Caddyshack is easily the best golf movie of all time (if not sports movie).[/b]

I like Legend of Bagger Vance better- great film.

Seven
Memento
Office Space
Remember the Titans
Fight Club

Kubrick was a genious and Shawshank Redemption is listed very highly on the imdb list. It’s in the top 10 if I’m not mistaken.

My list, a work in progress:

1. The Seventh Seal
  2. Star Wars
  3. A Clockwork Orange
  4. Full Metal Jacket
  5. Apocalypse Now
  6. Citizen Kane
  7. Pulp Fiction
  8. Dr. Strangelove
  9. Braveheart
  10. The Empire Strikes Back
  11. Contact
  12. Rear Window
  13. Return of the Jedi
  14. The Manchurian Candidate
  15. Annie Hall
  16. Fargo
  17. Back to the Future
  18. Memento
  19. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  20. American Beauty
  21. Unforgiven
  22. Pi
  23. Hannah and her Sisters
  24. Lawrence of Arabia
  25. The Shining
  26. Shawshank Redemption
  27. Eyes Wide Shut
  28. The General
  29. Brazil
  30. Johnny Got His Gun
  31. The Color Purple
  32. Minority Report
  33. The Killing
  34. Psycho
  35. Notorious
  36. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
  37. The Breakfast Club
  38. Blade Runner
  39. The Third Man
  40. Terminator II
  41. Good Will Hunting
  42. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
  43. Get Shorty
  44. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  45. The Godfather
  46. Barry Lyndon
  47. Fahrenheit 451
  48. Duel
  49. The Last Temptation of Christ
  50. To Live
  51. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  52. The Matrix
  53. Harrison Bergeron
  54. The Truman Show
  55. Raise the Red Lantern
  56. The Graduate
  57. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
  58. The Birth of a Nation
  59. Being John Malkovich
  60. The Silence of the Lambs
  61. Fight Club
  62. Saving Private Ryan
  63. On The Waterfront
  64. Attack of the Clones
  65. The Princess Bride
  66. Castaway
  67. Clerks
  68. Back to the Future II
  69. The Day the Earth Stood Still
  70. Groundhog Day
  71. Heat
  72. Battleship Potemkin
  73. Hero
  74. Chinatown
  75. Days of Thunder

Why hasn’t anybody mentioned Animal House and the Blues Brothers??? Belushi was a genious.