The "Why" Question..

I didn’t get to see the last 5 minutes of the game as I had to head to work at Movie Gallery. However, I did get to hear the end of it on the radio. The question of Why remains with me. Why didn’t we put ECU away? Why didn’t Plavich take better shots? Why didn’t we make our free throws? Why was Mitchell the one to take the last shot?

I am as big a Lutz fan as you will find and after the TCU game I was feeling pretty good but consistantly games like these leave me with the question of Why? I agree with UNCCTF’s belief that how we respond from this is key and I would call this loss equal to the loss of St. Louis last year. Now we have to win at St. Louis. I fear another 8-9 game.

Why?

my question is where was eddie on the offensive end??? :wacko: :unsure:

Plavich actually got a couple of pretty good looks and missed them. One from the corner late was big, it goes, different outcome maybe.

[i]Originally posted by hootie[/i]@Jan 30 2005, 09:54 AM [b] Plavich actually got a couple of pretty good looks and missed them. One from the corner late was big, it goes, different outcome maybe. [/b]
That Plavich shot from the corner was a good look BUT we had the lead at the time & we also had a player open under the basket. I think Plavich had already set himself up for the shot & if it had gone in we would all be in a better mood today.

Here’s my thoughts on the game, and reasons/excuses why TeamGoodGuy lost.

1. 30% free throws
  2. Basden and Baldwin had bad games.
  3. No scoring in the final 4 minutes
  4. That little #10 really got into Plavich’s head. He played great D and was talking trash to him for 40 minutes.
  5. Badiane fouled Withers hard with about a minute to go. No whistle.
  6. Cover Tom Hammonds, Jr. for the love of God.
  7. Suddenly, Badiane was a great jump shooter. From what I could tell, he’s traditionally a lousy shooter.
  8. Mitchell throwing up an akward 2 point prayer as time expired, instead of dishing it Plavich for a 30 foot try.
  9. Looking ahead to Cincinnati
  10. ECU pulls of 1 big upset every year at home. Looks like it won’t be Marquette this year.

Let me start by saying that I am not bashing Lutz or saying that I could coach the team any better. But, my question is if we were having such a hard time scoring or not scoring in the last 6 minutes!!!, why not put in five new players? Could Nance, Sager, Dwiggins, anyone score on ECU? Six minutes!? Try something, anything! Let Plavich shoot from half court. One or two baskets would have won the game. 51 points in a game? Reminds me of SLU. Wonder if we might see the same scenario when we go there?

Correction I wrote 30% free throws. I meant 30% field goals.