Thoughts on the Dayton Game

[QUOTE=AustinFlyer;211446]I thought we got hosed on some calls / no calls, but with the way your guys (especially Goldwire) were shooting, I donā€™t think it would have mattered if every single one went our way. [/QUOTE]

I admit we probably got a couple more calls than Dayton last night, but it wasnā€™t as one-sided as the game in Dayton when 3 of our players fouled out and second half FTā€™s were 17-1ā€¦they only beat us in Dayton b/c the officials allowed it to happen IMO. The foul called on EJ when they had that nice dunk was patheticā€¦EJ was getting out of the way and never touched the guy. Officiating aside we flat out dominated the game with good defense, great motion offense and everything in between.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;211550]

• As great as we played in the 1st half/We played like we have all year in the 2nd half (1-8 3pts, only 30pts on 8-24 shooting)

Bottom lineā€¦THAT 1st half is the team we thought we would see this year. But does it still not concern anyone that after 16 games, we have shot well for ONE half of basketball??

Iā€™m excited too (donā€™t get me wrong) - if we shoot like that we can be a contender in this league and be explosiveā€¦BUTā€¦I canā€™t get too excited because, even last night, the 2nd half was ā€œBack to Normal.ā€

(go ahead and feel free to blast my HONEST pessimism)[/QUOTE]

Well if you insistā€¦

after the first 5 shots (all missed) of the second half (4 in the paint) we were 8-19 or 42%ā€¦Iā€™ll take that in any game. unlike previous games when weā€™ve blown second half leads last night we continued to move the ball well create opportunities and restrict turnovers. 90% of the time any team up 20 points at halftime will start the second half sluggishā€¦human nature. i liked what i saw from the team and coaching staff.

this team could have thrown in the towel a few times this year but they seem to be resilient, picking themselves up after tough losses and believing in themslevesā€¦I like it. the next 2 games will be huge.

I cant beleive no one mention Leemires buzzer beater? It was hot, I think the student section was about to rush the court right then!!

I didnt think he would make it, just bad angle and shot ya know

[QUOTE=Gill2003;211642]I cant beleive no one mention Leemires buzzer beater? It was hot, I think the student section was about to rush the court right then!![/QUOTE]

I did:

[QUOTE=X-49er]- Leemire was unconscious. He said on the postgame that he made the three at the end of the 1st half without even being able to see the basket. I was worried that he wasnā€™t going to score in the second half, as he didnā€™t through the first 14 minutes of the second half.
[/QUOTE]

My Thoughts:

Last nights performance was what I expected from this team for a majority of the season. Every team will have an off night, but I figured we would be a strong perimeter team with DA, Lee and Carlos getting us 50 a night. Last night we saw what kind of team we can be when that occurs. If we can place like that the rest of the year we can be a force in this conference.

I thought EJ played very well especially rebounding and go things always happen when he takes it to the basket (as opposed to bad things when he settles for his jumper.

Overall team defense was excellent and I thought JJ really provided a spark and I really think he is finding a roll with this team.

I agree with others who said we need more out of Dumptruck and Courtney, what kills me is they both seem very capable and both show some great flashes.

After the game I talked to the Officiating crew at Picassos, they were all nice guys and I commented them for their excellent officiating. I was curious about their opinion of Bobby and what they would say his reputation is among the officiating community. They all said Bobby was very highly thought of and did not have a bad reputation at all. I thought that was interesting. Bobby does seem to have calmed down a bit when dealing with the officials.

What I was most impressed with was seeing 49orbust and gotlutz working the entire arena at halftime passing out www.charlotte49erfootball.com cards and spreading the word about the football movement.

My Thoughts:

Last nights performance was what I expected from this team for a majority of the season. Every team will have an off night, but I figured we would be a strong perimeter team with DA, Lee and Carlos getting us 50 a night. Last night we saw what kind of team we can be when that occurs. If we can place like that the rest of the year we can be a force in this conference.

I thought EJ played very well especially rebounding and go things always happen when he takes it to the basket (as opposed to bad things when he settles for his jumper.

Overall team defense was excellent and I thought JJ really provided a spark and I really think he is finding a roll with this team.

I agree with others who said we need more out of Dumptruck and Courtney, what kills me is they both seem very capable and both show some great flashes.

After the game I talked to the Officiating crew at Picassos, they were all nice guys and I commented them for their excellent officiating. I was curious about their opinion of Bobby and what they would say his reputation is among the officiating community. They all said Bobby was very highly thought of and did not have a bad reputation at all. I thought that was interesting. Bobby does seem to have calmed down a bit when dealing with the officials.

What I was most impressed with was seeing 49orbust and gotlutz working the entire arena at halftime passing out www.charlotte49erfootball.com cards and spreading the word about the football movement.

I feel under appreciated.

Carlos was great in the first half last night. He really pushed the tempo. When he was attacking, the offense was flowing which led to layups and open shots for Leemire. The second half he was slowing it down too much trying to work the clock. Lutz pointed this out in postgame. He told Carlos we still want to attack but make smart decisions.

I heard that too. God, that stuff would drive me crazy. Charlotte would have, like, 20 consecutive unproductive trips to the offensive zone and Iā€™d see Carlos walking with the ball to let the oppositionā€™s defense get set up. Yeah, letā€™s take our time to set up our offense so we can pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot a bad 20 footer.

Iā€™d be so pissed with Lutz for slowing down the tempo but, it turns out, Lutz was actually pissed off with Carlos for the exact same reason. This team doesnā€™t have the interior size to slow down the offensive tempo. Carlos needs to run, find a hole in the defense, and get the ball to the right person.

So thatā€™s the reason why he wasnā€™t starting for those of us who were wondering. But Lutz said that Carlos watching the game from the bench did help and he seems to be getting the message and heā€™s now starting to make better use of his abilities.

JJ was great last night and the box score did not do him justice. I love players who play like they are 1/5 of a team and just contribute any way they can with or without the ball. Thatā€™s exactly what he did. There was one play where the ball was heading out of bounds due to an errant pass or shot and he made a play to save the ball but his foot was on the line. Little stuff like that may not look impressive in the eyes of the box score, but itā€™s impressive in my eyes. He had some well-earned rebounds too.

Booker was out with the flu, which came as sort of a relief since I was getting worried over his lack of playing time vs. Richmond. I hope he ends the year feeling like he can be a pretty good starter in this league. That would give us a potentially deep and talented corp of forwards next season.

Iā€™m surprised if anyone thought the game was won due to lucky shooting. Charlotte was looking pretty damn good in the first 12 minutes and I immediately got the impression that Charlotte was the better team than Dayton last night. The defense, the turnovers, the assists - I thought Charlotte played great in many facets and would have won even if Leemire shot poorly in his 8 minute span to close the first half. Perhaps that extra effort contributed toward opening up some shots that weā€™d normally miss.

[QUOTE=survivor45;211711]
JJ was great last night and the box score did not do him justice. I love players who play like they are 1/5 of a team and just contribute any way they can with or without the ball. Thatā€™s exactly what he did. There was one play where the ball was heading out of bounds due to an errant pass or shot and he made a play to save the ball but his foot was on the line. Little stuff like that may not look impressive in the eyes of the box score, but itā€™s impressive in my eyes. He had some well-earned rebounds too.
[/QUOTE]

I agree.

JJ has been rapidly becoming my favorite player on this yearā€™s team. You gotta love the hustle and intensity he plays with. He can guard anyone and block out players 5 inches taller to grab the rebound. Great TEAM player.

[QUOTE=survivor45;211711]I heard that too. God, that stuff would drive me crazy. Charlotte would have, like, 20 consecutive unproductive trips to the offensive zone and Iā€™d see Carlos walking with the ball to let the oppositionā€™s defense get set up. Yeah, letā€™s take our time to set up our offense so we can pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot a bad 20 footer.

Iā€™d be so pissed with Lutz for slowing down the tempo but, it turns out, Lutz was actually pissed off with Carlos for the exact same reason. This team doesnā€™t have the interior size to slow down the offensive tempo. Carlos needs to run, find a hole in the defense, and get the ball to the right person.
[/QUOTE]

And it took Lutz actually waving his arms, running up the sidelines to get him to attack at times in the first half. My favorite was the one Lutz waved and ran, Carlos looked at him, sprinted up court, called his play (the old Demonā€™s going to fire it up - everyone crash) and hoisted the pull-up 28 footer. Beautiful when it goes in. :wow: Overall, good decisions from Carlos.