tips and advice for visiting Charleston

Just walk and drink and hit lots of bars and restaurants- and don't drive.

Definitely. Our hotel is at the corner of Church and Market, so we can walk to just about everything.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;422857]Definitely. Our hotel is at the corner of Church and Market, so we can walk to just about everything.[/QUOTE]

That’s what my wife and I did and had a blast.

But the other guys on the board are probably better served to give advice. My wife and I are both drinkers, like bars and aren’t into fine dining.

It has been mentioned several times, but I am in Charleston and was at Hymans last night… Great! Gotta go Scotty. We got there around 5:30 as a group of 9 and got seated in 10 minutes. Worth the wait. Great food.

My wife and I are both drinkers, like bars and aren't into fine dining.
FINE DRINKING > FINE DINING
As far as seafood, Shem Creek is great. The last three times we were there we ate at Red’s Ice House and you can eat outside or in. Prices are reasonable. The place looks like a piece of crap and you get to it through an alley. I just missed drivin n cryin playing there by a week at Red’s.

We saw DnC at the Windjammer (IOP) on July 4th, 2008 and this year, we had no clue Kevn Kinney was going to be in town but we got to see his solo set at Red’s. They always seem to be down there around the 4th. Red’s is a great spot to enjoy cold beer and some nice “scenery.”

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;423087]FINE DRINKING > FINE DINING[/QUOTE]
And that’s why you are Poster of the Year.

Think the wife and I are going to Charleston for our anniversary in October. Neither one of us have ever been so the suggestions in this thread will be helpful. Anybody recommend any places to stay? I’m thinking the Embassy Suites downtown but am also looking at a Bed and Breakfast. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Suites is nice… Rooms are a tad small, but it was built from one of the old Citadel buildings…

Eat at Poogans Porch on Queen Street.

Without a doubt go to the Cabell House.

My wife and I just stayed there back in May and it was great. It is essentially at the tip of the Battery off Church St. and you can walk to most anything of interest in the historic district.

The Suites is nice… Rooms are a tad small, but it was built from one of the old Citadel buildings…

Eat at Poogans Porch on Queen Street.[/quote]

Poogan’s Porch is awesome.

I also like 82 Queen.

Do NOT get lost at night!!! haha… I went a couple months ago for the first time and driving around Charleston late at night we found ourselves what appeared to be da hooooood x infinity.

A house painter would make a fortune down there!

Without a doubt go to the Cabell House.

My wife and I just stayed there back in May and it was great. It is essentially at the tip of the Battery off Church St. and you can walk to most anything of interest in the historic district.[/quote]

Thanks. Just looked it up. Seems like a nice place in a good location.

Go to Fleet Landing, sit on the porch and order the Shrimp n’ Grits.

Totally depends on the person. For us, we spend very little time in our room when we go down there so we skimp on accommodations and splurge on food/entertainment. Historically, we stay in Mt. Pleasant which is just a few minutes from downtown Charleston and about 15-20 mins from IOP/Sullivan’s Island.

If you’ve never been to Charleston then it’s hard to argue against living it up downtown at a B&B at least once but we go every year so we’re much more content staying outside of the price spikes.

Also discovered a new (Italian) restaurant last time we were there. You will not find a better place than Seven (Shem Creek). There is a reason for the long wait and the prices are very affordable. We got a tip from a local to go there during the Bridge Run and were blown away with how good it was. Heads and shoulders above any other $$-$$$ Italian place down there.

The SC Aquarium is a waste of time and money.

Thanks for all the tips…keep 'em coming.Looked up a bunch of the restaurants and so far Coast Bar&Grill seems like it’s in the lead…

Come back and do the Bridge Run.

Just got back from a long weekend in Charleston. First time there and loved the place. Stayed in a Hampton Inn across that big ass bridge in Mt. Pleasant. Not a bad hotel (not to expensive) with a quick ride into downtown Charleston. Used the money saved on the hotel and did some eating and sight seeing. Absolutely loved Magnolia Restaurant and ate there twice. Did a private carriage tour around town, (College of Charleston is nice), visited Magnolia Plantation (stunning), Folly Beach and did the Ft. Sumter thing. Will definitely go back if just for the food. Wish I could make the Bball tournament.

Went with my wife over labor day weekend.Stayed at the King’s Courtyard Inn…B&B…was great.Ate at some upper end places which were nice but loved a casual place on the main drag…_ And Nicks…can’t remember entire name,but it was great.
Excellent barbecue and they start out by bringing you these unbelievable hot cheddar biscuits before the meal…Got out for about $25 for 2 with tip and stuffed to the gills!