tips and advice for visiting Hilton Head

going to Hilton Head in a couple weeks… never been.

Any suggestions for activities and restaurants?

[QUOTE=cibik02;422683]going to Hilton Head in a couple weeks… never been.

Any suggestions for activities and restaurants?[/QUOTE]

I go there every summer. Hilton Head is low key (not like Myrtle Beach) so many of the same activities are not present. That said, there is still stuff to do but you have to search it out. Dining is relatively expensive, even for spots that are not necessarily fine dining. Hilton Head likes to boast about their restaurants. Its worth it to just go quality when its all said and done.

Old Fort Pub, Charley’s Crab on Skull Creek, CQs, Red Fish are all top notch.

Big Bamboo, Smokehouse, Hinoki (sushi) are also good and a little more casual

Plenty of others to choose from too.

Look for live entertainment online, bands play at bars etc and there is always jazz. Big Bamboo does reggae every Wednesday at 10pm - usually a big draw.

Also, if adult entertainment is on your to do list, there is a place on Dunnigan’s Alley near Sea Pines entrance.

And if you like to bike, cruise through Sea Pines to hit Harbour Town and South Beach (Salty Dog Cafe area). For kids, try Harbour Town, Gregg Russell, and Shelter Cove, Shannon Tanner, shows.

I go there every summer. Hilton Head is low key (not like Myrtle Beach) so many of the same activities are not present. That said, there is still stuff to do but you have to search it out. Dining is relatively expensive, even for spots that are not necessarily fine dining. Hilton Head likes to boast about their restaurants. Its worth it to just go quality when its all said and done.

Old Fort Pub, Charley’s Crab on Skull Creek, CQs, Red Fish are all top notch.

Big Bamboo, Smokehouse, Hinoki (sushi) are also good and a little more casual

Plenty of others to choose from too.

Look for live entertainment online, bands play at bars etc and there is always jazz. Big Bamboo does reggae every Wednesday at 10pm - usually a big draw.

Also, if adult entertainment is on your to do list, there is a place on Dunnigan’s Alley near Sea Pines entrance.

And if you like to bike, cruise through Sea Pines to hit Harbour Town and South Beach (Salty Dog Cafe area). For kids, try Harbour Town, Gregg Russell, and Shelter Cove, Shannon Tanner, shows.

If you have kids, Shelter Cove Harbour has Harbourfest every Tuesday night with fireworks. Shannon Tanner is great for the kids. Sea Pines is a nice visit.

I always stay in Palmetto Dunes and bike everywhere.

This place is excellent. Laid back and quiet unlike MB.

Hope you like it.

If you like seafood hit up the Sea Trawlers restaurant in Bluffton…its a nice dining experience on the point and great food.

Hilton Head is not commercial like your other beach venues in SC. If you go to the island to Forrest beach there are a lot of little shops, a theater and public access to the beach. There is free parking behind the smokehouse. The public access just got re done is very nice. There are restroomsm showers, swings, benches, fountains and water features for the kids to play in, and then you can walk down to the beach.

For drinks you can hit up the Tiki Hut on the beach…it is a very popular local hangout…its where all the lifeguards go after their shift.

bump

Thanks for the advice thus far…

anyone else recommend any nice reasonably priced restaurants?

I called around about renting jet skis and onlyy found ones about $95-$110/hour… anyone know of a better deal?

Is there dinner shows?

Redfish very good food…not cheap.Great golf if you play,again,not cheap. We always stay in Sea Pines.

[QUOTE=cibik02;423649]bump

I called around about renting jet skis and onlyy found ones about $95-$110/hour… anyone know of a better deal?

Is there dinner shows?[/QUOTE]

Advice: There are no such things as deals in Hilton Head…save happy hour specials at restaurants, now those are legit.

bump

Is there dinner shows?

Your are not going to find the dinner shows and such at Hilton Head like you do at MB. Totally different atmosphere between the two.

Enjoy the vacation.

Here’s my tip: cut your hand, and take your bleeding body into the water with an underwater camera.

The pictures you take of sharks attacking will probably be enough for another FSL.

In my opinion HH is too expensive and pretty boring, different strokes for different folks.

[QUOTE=EE9er;423700]In my opinion HH is too expensive and pretty boring, different strokes for different folks.[/QUOTE]

It has more of a community feel rather than a beach town feel for sure. You have to get creative if you like to party.

How about beach location on the island? anyone prefer one over the others?

We always go to Forrest Beach…twice weekly. The new public access with very nice, with fresh water showers, restrooms, fountains, changing facilities, arbors with swings, etc etc. The beach there is awesome. They also allow pets before 10am and after 5pm if you have any dogs tagging along.

Can’t go wrong with any of the beaches. North and South Forest Beaches or any of the beaches inside the resort. Both Sea Pines and Palmetto Dunes are extremely nice.

1. Take golf clubs (if you are a golfer).

2. Take a bike. HH has paved bike trails running all around the island. It is also easy to find bikes to rent.

3. One of the hotels on the beach has a pretty good outdoor tiki bar (I think this is the same one previously mentioned). I want to say it’s either a Holiday Inn or Days Inn.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;423750]1. Take golf clubs (if you are a golfer).

1. Take a bike. HH has paved bike trails running all around the island. It is also easy to find bikes to rent.

2. One of the hotels on the beach has a pretty good outdoor tiki bar (I think this is the same one previously mentioned). I want to say it’s either a Holiday Inn or Days Inn.[/QUOTE]

Holiday Inn at Forest Beach, public parking across the street. Yes, the scenery around there is usually best.

I played 2 rounds of golf when there 2 summers ago.(not cheap!)…The Temp. Humidity Index,or whatever it is called was like 125 degrees.My brother,from Ct.,totally melted out…Hottest i’ve ever been.