tips and advice for visiting Topsail Beach, NC

I’ll be there this weekend and never have been. I heard it’s a quiet place, what we are looking for.

Anyone been and have any restaurants or places they suggest?

[SIZE=2]… hopefully this doesn’t spark the "tips and advice for visiting… " threads again. :lmao:[/SIZE]

Max’s in Surf City has decent pizza and Italian food. Molly’s is the best seafood joint I’ve been to down there. Andy’s Cheeseburgers is not to be missed.

If you get the chance and you want a nice night out, go down to Wrightsville Beach and go to the Oceanic Restaurant. Everytime I’m within a 45 minute drive, I go out of my way to get there.

http://www.oceanicrestaurant.com/

My family has been going to Topsail since the mid 80s. It has change a lot over the years - mainly giant houses in place of the quaint little houses that were there. There has also been a huge influx of people from the north. Island Delights is a favorite of mine - great ice cream. Molly’s is pretty good. There are a a few good places to eat. We actually have found that we really enjoy going to Rick’s north of Topsail towards JAX. Emerald Island is a short drive up from Topsail and its a nice place to visit. Best thing to do on Topsail is relax and look for shark’s teeth.

I can tell you what not to do. Do not get intoxicated and try to take a little boat actoss the inland waterway at dusk when you’re not sure where you’re going. Lots of sand bars right below water level… and oh yea… make sure you put the anchor into the boat BEFORE trying to drive it. It’s not a good thing to wrap the rope around the prop.

That’s all I’m saying.

[QUOTE=cibik02;437180]I’ll be there this weekend and never have been. I heard it’s a quiet place, what we are looking for.

[SIZE=2]… hopefully this doesn’t spark the "tips and advice for visiting… " threads again. :lmao:[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

If you’re looking for a quiet place you’ve got it. Ny niece got married there and there’s not much to do. Fairly nice sports-type restauant bar there, not much else. Food Lion and CVS for necessities.

[QUOTE=cibik02;437180]I’ll be there this weekend and never have been. I heard it’s a quiet place, what we are looking for.

[SIZE=2]… hopefully this doesn’t spark the "tips and advice for visiting… " threads again. :lmao:[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

don’t go. wilmington is so much better!

[QUOTE=cibik02;437180]
Anyone been and have any restaurants or places they suggest?[/QUOTE] My family used to go down there in the summer. Not many restaurants on the island that I remember, but a few places in Surf city. We’d always drive over to Sneads Ferry just north of there for dinner at least a couple nights, had the best shrimp I’ve tasted in the US. Unfortunately I can’t remember the restaurant name, other than it’s right on the waterfront with its boat parked at the dock in back, was a second floor place, and looked pretty simple and a little older. They may have revamped it since we last went. Most restaurants we’ve been to there had good shrimp.

We always stayed in north topsail, really nice beach for quiet time and playing in the surf, without nearly as much in the way of crowds or the usual beach trashy commercialization as further south. The northeastern tip where the inlet comes in was usually good for fishing, especially blue crab.

Thanks for the info thus far.

How about driving directions? I’m leaving from the University area. I’ll be following my navigation and will have a mapquest print out… but anyone have any shortcuts? (that won’t take me on creepy back roads like in horror movies)

[QUOTE=cibik02;437300]Thanks for the info thus far.

How about driving directions? anyone have any shortcuts? (that won’t take me on creepy back roads like in horror movies)[/QUOTE]
You have a helicopter? Or you can borrow Clt’s Zepplin maybe…

[QUOTE=cibik02;437300]Thanks for the info thus far.

How about driving directions? I’m leaving from the University area. I’ll be following my navigation and will have a mapquest print out… but anyone have any shortcuts? (that won’t take me on creepy back roads like in horror movies)[/QUOTE]

Best route is 74 - take it all the way to Wilmington. Then take the new bypass around Wilmington which takes you to north 17, dive onto 210 and you are there. Should take around 4.5 hours give or take a few based on driving habits. The bypass around Wilmington cut off all kinds of time.

When I was in High School and college I hated going to topsail because it was so quiet and so few people. Now I love it - take me somewhere with less noise, less people and more quietness and I am a happy guy.

I go surf fishing in in topsail a couple times a year.

Although I don’t usually go there to eat or do stuff other than fish or just be at the beach, I can say that it’s a small, quiet place… not too much to choose from, so you shouldn’t have much problem figuring things out.

I go to the south end, the very end. I like how it’s undeveloped, it’s cool for walking around, hanging out.

I’ve stayed at the Jolly Roger before. Across the street is a fish market worth checking out.

Topsail is a really nice family beach. You can’t go wrong.

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;437319]
When I was in High School and college I hated going to topsail because it was so quiet and so few people. Now I love it - take me somewhere with less noise, less people and more quietness and I am a happy guy.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more. We were in Topsail in July. Nice place to relax. Also, if you have some extra cash, there are TONS of homes/cottages for sale down there now.