Tips For Visiting The Zoo

Taking the family for the first time to the Asheboro Zoo. Both of our kids are toddlers. Any tips on visiting here? What to see, what to skip, way to map our visit, etc.

[QUOTE=mineshaft;401674]Taking the family for the first time to the Asheboro Zoo. Both of our kids are toddlers. Any tips on visiting here? What to see, what to skip, way to map our visit, etc.[/QUOTE]

Avoid swimming with the Polar Bears!:thumbsup:

Avoid swimming with the Polar Bears!:thumbsup:
You beat me to it. Ironically, the Polar Bear exhibit is one of the best exhibits at the zoo.

Mineshaft, the zoo has 2 main entrances… one on each end. I’ve been a few times, and prefer to park at the newer entrance. That’s the entrance closest to the Polar Bears. They have some kind of “trolley/train” that runs through the zoo (although I’ve never ridden it), so if anyone gets tired, you can use it. The exhibits are spaced farther apart than at most zoos, so prepare your family to do some walking.

I went last summer with two little boys ages 3 and 1. We borrowed a double stroller.

We got there about 11:30 and brought a picninc and ate in the picninc area at the far entrance. Africa, maybe? I think it was africa.

Then we walked around Africa awhile. Both boys fell asleep in the stroller after a couple hours. They missed the lions and giraffes. They woke up and we went back to the truck to cool off in the AC.

We then drove over to the North America entrance and checked out the polar bears and some other things.

We saw 1/2 to 2/3 of the zoo. We’ll go back this year and see what we didn’t last time first.

With little ones and such a big zoo, you may want to make two trips spread apart a little.

In one trip, no matter how much you see, you’ll get plenty.

On another note, I hear the columbia, SC zoo is nice. I also hear it’s not spread as far apart. I think we’ll go there this year as well.

boys are now 4 and 2, so it should be easier.

Enjoy!

Taking the family for the first time to the Asheboro Zoo. Both of our kids are toddlers. Any tips on visiting here? What to see, what to skip, way to map our visit, etc.

Watch out for the Monkeys…

Ugh, what’s with the chains? That makes the picture twice as creepy.

There is a nice picnic are right outside the newer entrance on the edge of the lake. It is outside the gate. Pack an picnic lunch and eat there. It is really nice and cheaper…

Columbia is much better…skip Asheboro

I went last summer with two little boys ages 3 and 1. We borrowed a double stroller.

We got there about 11:30 and brought a picninc and ate in the picninc area at the far entrance. Africa, maybe? I think it was africa.

Then we walked around Africa awhile. Both boys fell asleep in the stroller after a couple hours. They missed the lions and giraffes. They woke up and we went back to the truck to cool off in the AC.

We then drove over to the North America entrance and checked out the polar bears and some other things.

We saw 1/2 to 2/3 of the zoo. We’ll go back this year and see what we didn’t last time first.

With little ones and such a big zoo, you may want to make two trips spread apart a little.

In one trip, no matter how much you see, you’ll get plenty.

On another note, I hear the columbia, SC zoo is nice. I also hear it’s not spread as far apart. I think we’ll go there this year as well.

boys are now 4 and 2, so it should be easier.

Enjoy!

Columbia Zoo is nice. A few years back I went to the Asheboro Zoo (im pretty sure that was it).

The thing with zoo’s is, and I think this applies to most zoo’s, its HOT. Its like going to Carowinds. I’d recommend plenty of fluids. :biggrin: