Top 100 Players

Withers is 3rd per this list.

Top 100

[b]Needs to be a more consistent performer this year in order to justify this ranking[/b]

pretty much sums it up.

dude knows his stuff…and i like the “best COLLEGE basketball players”, not sayin they are gonna dominate the nba, but best college players

i like how hes got ETSU and st peters on there…pop from GW is 98

Could have used some work on the UNCC part …

… looks like a good list, not sure if he’s saying these are the top COLLEGE players, or the top players in college based on how they’ll do at the next level (in which case Keydren Clark from St. Peter’s is way too high and some guys are way too low). Clark is a really good college player who probably won’t transition to the NBA.

Also, Carney makes the list but Darius Washington Jr. doesn’t? Actually nevermind, looks like Washington is #23 but he left off his name …

[i]Originally posted by NinerOne[/i]@Oct 17 2005, 11:42 PM [b]
[b]Needs to be a more consistent performer this year in order to justify this ranking[/b]

pretty much sums it up. [/b]

He needs to bring home a couple of titles (A-10 Reg Season, A-10 Tourney, etc) and a deep run in the Dance to justify the #3 College player in the country.

What does it say about the SEC that their “best” player is rated 39???

Rip Van Withers

This guy also has UNCC Ranked #38 overall and #4 on his Top Ten Mid Majors List.

Key Losses
C-Martin Iti- 6’11 245- 5.0ppg 4.0rpg 51%FG 32%3pt 1.5blk- went pro
:rolleyes:

[b]# 25- Eric Williams

Team- Eric Williams
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’9 270lbs
Position- C
Stats-
16.1 ppg
7.7 rpg
0.5 apg
FG 63%
FT 57%
3pt 00%
[/b]

I thought that was funny…

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Oct 18 2005, 11:00 AM [b] This guy also has [url=http://collegebasketball.blog.com/Top+Ten+Mid+Majors/]UNCC Ranked #38 overall[/url] and #4 on his Top Ten Mid Majors List. [/b]
Well, right there he lost all his credibility with me. Mid-major my you know what! <_<

The guys on the list that we’ll be playing against this year:

[code]# 25- Eric Williams

Team- Eric Williams
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6'9 270lbs
Position- C
Stats-
16.1 ppg
7.7 rpg
0.5 apg
FG 63%
FT 57%
3pt 00%

Breakdown
Just about everything for Wake Forest this season will start and stop with Eric Wililams. Williams is the best offensive center in the ACC. He's a massive giant in the paint that flat out overpowers other players, resulting in many dunks and easy lay ups. His interior footwork has come a long way since his freshman season but he still tends to struggle with turnovers and arrant passes. He also could use some work on his defense, as he typically has struggled defending skilled interior players, as well as quicker players.[/code]

[code]# 27- Mardy Collings

Team- Temple
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’6 205lbs
Position- PG/SG
Stats-
17.5 ppg
5.9 rpg
3.6 apg
1.5/1- assist to turnover ratio
FG 42%
FT 64%
3pt 28%

Breakdown
Very tall and athletic point guard. One of the best ball handlers in the country. Very creative basketball player. Can create his own shot or create shots for teammates. Uses his size to post up smaller players and his speed and quickness to get by bigger players. Creates match-up problems. Lacks a consistent perimeter jumshot. Good rebounder for a guard. If he improves his jumpshot, he might be the most complete offensive player in the country.[/code]

[code]# 36- Justin Gray

Team- Wake Forest
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’2 186lbs
Position- PG/SG
Stats-
16.0 ppg
2.8 rpg
2.2 apg
1/1-assist to turnover ratio
FG 43%
FT 79%
3pt 41%

Breakdown
Having a player like Gray in your back court is always a good thing. He’s arguably the most complete guard in the ACC because of his ability to do a little bit of everything. You won’t find a tougher player either. Wake Forest may have to use Gray a little to much though and there are concerns of over working the senior guard. With his scoring ability, experience, leadership and toughness, Wake Forest fans are confident he can handle the duties.[/code]

[code]# 46- Marco Killingsworth

Team- Indiana
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’8 255lbs
Position- PF/C
Stats-
Transfer from Auburn/ sat out last season

Breakdown
Indiana brought Killingsworth in from Auburn last season and he was a big help in the development of D.J. White as a freshman last season. This season he’ll get to play alongside White and is arguably the most talented and important player on this Hoosier roster. Killingsworth is an absolute beast at 6’8 255lbs and only 8% body fat. He led Auburn in scoring and rebounding his last two seasons there. He’s very effective with his back-to-the-basket but scores a lot of his points off of offensive putbacks. Killingsworth tends to be to physical and strong for opposing players on this level.[/code]

[code]# 48- D.J. White

Team- Indiana
Year- Sophomore
Vitals- 6’9 235lbs
Position- C/PF
Stats-
13.3 ppg
4.9 rpg
0.8 apg
FG 57%
FT 71%
3pt 00%

Breakdown
The Big Ten Freshman of the Year. White is a lot like Killingsworth, his teammate. He’s physical and aggressive in the painted area. Although he doesn’t quite have the physical strength or physical tools of Killingsworth, his offensive game might be a little more polished and refined. He came into Indiana last season as the highest rated freshman since Jared Jeffries and he lived up to his billings. This year as a sophomore, he’ll be counted on for bigger and better things.[/code]

[code]# 73- Steven Smith

Team- La Salle
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’8 225lbs
Position- PF
Stats-
21.0 ppg
8.3 rpg
2.1 apg
1/2.2- assist to turnover ratio
FG 45%
FT 80%
3pt 31%

Breakdown
Shot the ball well over 600 times last year, which is a ton for an interior player. Has very solid offensive tools in the post. Can also handle the rock and dish it out. Has the ability to create his own shot by either posting up over small defenders or facing up and going around bigger players. He can also step out and stretch the defensive with his shot but he is much more effective inside. Needs to learn better shot selection and be more unselfish. Also must limit his turnovers next season.[/code]

[code]# 85- Rashaun Freeman

Team- Umass
Year- Junior
Vitals- 6’9 255lbs
Position- PF
Stats-
15.4 ppg
7.8 rpg
1.0 apg
FG 54%
FT 65%
3pt 00%

Breakdown
A very effective low post scorer. Has a very soft touch and is an effecient mid range scorer. Can score facing the basket or by posting up. Usually his upperbody strength to get good position in the post. Not the quickest or most mobile player though. Could use some work on his defensive game.[/code]

[code]# 97- Brendan Winters

Team- Davidson
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’5 193
Position- SF/SG
Stats-
16.7 ppg
5.1 rpg
1.8 apg
1/1.5- assist to turnover ratio
FG 45%
FT 74%
3pt 43%

Breakdown-
Multi-skilled offensive player. Is very difficult to guard because of his slashing ability and his perimeter shooting ability. Is a very consistent 3-point shooter with plenty of range. Has a good enough handle. Gets to the foul line a good amount of times as well. Could use some work on the defensive end of the court though.[/code]

[code]# 98- Nana (Pops) Mensah-Bonsu

Team- George Washington
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’9 240lbs
Position- C/PF
Stats-
12.6 ppg
6.6 rpg
0.8 apg
1.5 blk
FG 57%
FT 57%
3pt 00%

Breakdown-
A very phyiscal interior presence with good strength and athleticism. Very effective offensive rebounder. He scores a lot of his points off put backs and dunks. Also a more than capable interior defender who loves intimidating his opponents. Can get out and run in transition and often beats his man down the court for easy buckets. Has decent back-to-the-basket post moves but isn’t reliable enough to be consider a true offensive threat.[/code]

Other Notables:

[code]# 19- Vincent Grier

Team- Minnesota
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’5 207lbs
Position- SF/SG
Stats-
17.9 ppg
5.6 rpg
2.4 apg
1/1.1- assist to turnover ratio
FG 47%
FT 74%
3pt 25%

Breakdown
You will have a hard time trying to find a more valuable player to his team, than that of what Vincent Grier was in the Big Ten last season for Minnesota. Grier is one of the most physical players in the country. But thats not to say he doesnt have any sort of finesse to his game. He’s a very skilled player that is almost impossible to stop once he gets by his defender. Speaking of defending, he’s also a solid defensive player, that can stop just about anyone. Last but not least, he offers up good rebounding and has the ability to setup his teammates.[/code]

[code]# 59- Alex Loughton

Team- Old Dominion
Year- Senior
Vitals- 6’9 235lbs
Position- C/PF
Stats-
14.1 ppg
8.2 rpg
1.6 apg
FG 50%
FT 78%
3pt 29%

Breakdown
A very smart basketball player with terrific low post moves. A very old fashioned type of player. Can also shoot from the mid range. Has good footwork in the post, excellent hands and a soft touch. Good rebounder. Is not the quickest of players or the most mobile and he tends to struggle at times with more athletic players.[/code]

didnt alex loughton score like 90 points against us up there?

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Oct 18 2005, 12:21 PM [b] didnt alex loughton score like 90 points against us up there? [/b]
Half of that amount.

Niners 105, ODU 102 2OT

Nice to see Withers get some pub but not sure how much this list really matters.

[b]This guy also has UNCC Ranked #38 overall and #4 on his Top Ten Mid Majors List. [/b]

I wonder how it is that he has us pegged 2nd in the A-10, yet we are the first A-10 team on his top ten mid-major list??? I think his definition is a little screwy.

I like his assessment of some of our weaknesses though, and yes, we do always seem to fly under the radar.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Oct 18 2005, 03:21 PM [b] Nice to see Withers get some pub but not sure how much this list really matters. [/b]
The only thing that really matters is I kicked your ass in fantasy football this week... :mallet: :P
[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er+Oct 18 2005, 03:42 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jimmyhat49er @ Oct 18 2005, 03:42 PM)
[i]Originally posted by switchfoot+Oct 18 2005, 02:53 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (switchfoot @ Oct 18 2005, 02:53 PM)
Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er@Oct 18 2005, 03:42 PM [b]
[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud+Oct 18 2005, 04:02 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerLoudNProud @ Oct 18 2005, 04:02 PM)
Originally posted by switchfoot@Oct 18 2005, 02:53 PM [b]
Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er@Oct 18 2005, 03:42 PM [b]

No way man, we play good fantasy football defense. I can skillfully will the other team into doing poorly.