Top 25 Gaming Consoles

My first system (my brother’s) was an NES. I honestly didn’t play it all that much until Mario 3, which was my favorite game on that thing.

Then I had a genesis, which was awesome. I had street fighter 2 and may have played that game for like 3 years, I loved it so much, eventhough I could never understand what Ryu or Ken said when they attacked (“hyruiken?”). I remember getting the Sega CD for xmas, and that thing blew big old donkey balls. It was horrible and a waste of time.

My favorite system probably ended up being the N64. Mario was revolutionary at that point with the 3d world, and being able to roam so freely. As well as Mario Kart 64 was the most fun party game ever. I remember staying at friends’ houses in middle school and playing it for hours along with goldeneye. Goldeneye changed the FPS world in a way that it hadn’t been since it’s inception with Wolfenstein and Doom. It also was the first true commercialization of deathmatch vs. friends, that everyone is so familiar with now b/c of Halo. As well, the controller at first was a complete cluster****, but after awhile it worked amazingly I thought. I think Nintendo was ahead of the curve with this in the same way it worked out for them with the Wii. I also enjoyed the wrestling games with the grappling system like WCW vs NWO. Those were a ton of fun as well.

Since then I’ve had a PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360, and they all have their pluses, but I seriously think the N64 is what did it for me.

Yep, I remember putting HOURS in to Mario64 and Starfox64 in single-player, as well as tons of nights with my friends playing GoldenEye. Classic stuff.

The game.

[QUOTE=49erDrummer;430102]Yep, I remember putting HOURS in to Mario64 and Starfox64 in single-player, as well as tons of nights with my friends playing GoldenEye. Classic stuff.[/QUOTE]

Until I got my xbox, the only consoles I’d ever owned myself were the Atari 5200 and the NES. Played almost all of them though. The N64 really stood out as being just stupidly fun cause of games like those.

I also played NBA Jam to death on the SNES.

And how I manage to game at all (I really only play BF1943 and then some rock band when I have people over), is to not watch TV. Aside from netflix and sports, I barely register as a TV viewer. It bores me too much. Especially in the primetime offseason (summer).

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;430113]Until I got my xbox, the only consoles I’d ever owned myself were the Atari 5200 and the NES. Played almost all of them though. The N64 really stood out as being just stupidly fun cause of games like those.

I also played NBA Jam to death on the SNES.

And how I manage to game at all (I really only play BF1943 and then some rock band when I have people over), is to not watch TV. Aside from netflix and sports, I barely register as a TV viewer. It bores me too much. Especially in the primetime offseason (summer).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don’t watch TV. I watch 4 tv shows (Weeds, Dexter, True Blood, Big Love).

Best party game was bomberman, come on people.

I own a Nintendo 64, I bought it after the fact (because a girlfriend at the time wanted it). It was a waste of money. The catalogue sucks. People remember the great games fondly, but it was just a Saturn with Nintendo’s marketing team. Plus, Saturn had Shining Force III, which is one of the greatest games of all time and my favorite series of all time.

No they didn't. But they were losing for a large part of that "war." They won handily in the end. Genesis was a better system though and they had better games in every genre.

In the US the Genesis held a market share lead until around the time it starting making stupid marketing decisions like the 32X and the launching of the crappy Saturn.

It did get crushed in Japan and in the end the SNES sold more units, but in the 16 bit generation’s heyday (roughly '89 - '93) the Genesis absolutely reined supreme. In my personal experience it was way cooler to own a Genesis than a SNES especially when games like Mortal Kombat didn’t have the blood or fatalities for the SNES.

Video games were already a big business long before Sega got kicked out of the game. Sega made a lot of business decisions that didn't make sense and in hindsight made even less sense. They were wasting money churning out consoles instead of focusing on what they already had. Both Sony and Nintendo have shown that long term committment to a console is the way to maintain profits for a system. Sega was quick to ditch their consoles to stay ahead of the curve. They were too innovative at times, evolving faster than their market.

There is big business and there is BIG BUSINESS. Once Sony got in the game (and subsequently Microsoft), there was no way Sega could compete with companies with those competencies.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;430123]Yeah, I don’t watch TV. I watch 4 tv shows (Weeds, Dexter, True Blood, Big Love).

[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t it mean the same thing to watch TV and watch TV shows?

clt nominates nova for avatar of the year.

CLT should read the religion thread.

[QUOTE=NovaNiner;430215] In my personal experience it was way cooler to own a Genesis than a SNES especially when games like Mortal Kombat didn’t have the blood or fatalities for the SNES.[/QUOTE]

You had to enter a code on the menu screen to get the blood.

You had to enter a code on the menu screen to get the blood.

Everyone knew it though. The published it everywhere. A B A C A B B

Bonus code: up up down down left right left right b a start

This might be the best thread ever!

I LOVED the Genesis…we played hours and hours and hours of Madden while at Charlotte. People from all over the hall would come over to play in our league. Played a lot of NCAA Football, and NHL games too.

Anyone else have a ColecoVision growing up? The description talks about Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, and Mr. Do! Man I loved those games.

I also had an Atari 2600…wait…how old am I?

Best party game was bomberman, come on people.

Super Puzzle Fighter

Being an avid Role playing gamer from both the Genesis and SNES consoles, they both had their fair share of great RPG titles.

SNES had Final Fantasy series (best ever), Chrono Trigger (even better), Zelda, Secret of Evermore, Dragon Quest, Lufia, Lagoon and that’s just the best titles I remember playing.

Genesis had Phantasy Star series (great games), Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness, Landstalker and Sword of Vermillion.

SNES blew Genesis out of the water in the RPG category.

Honestly, I always thought RPG games were pretty gay.

Honestly, I always thought RPG games were pretty gay.

The current generation of “action RPGs” are quite good actually. Fallout, Fable, etc.

Mortal Kombat II on SNES
-At one time I could do every fatality in the game and knew how to access all the secret characters and cheats (I still remember most of them, but not all.)

GoldenEye is the reason I stuck with Nintendo, but the dissolution of RARE to Microsoft is why I switched to Xbox and 360.

[QUOTE=NovaNiner;430215]In the US the Genesis held a market share lead until around the time it starting making stupid marketing decisions like the 32X and the launching of the crappy Saturn.

It did get crushed in Japan and in the end the SNES sold more units, but in the 16 bit generation’s heyday (roughly '89 - '93) the Genesis absolutely reined supreme. In my personal experience it was way cooler to own a Genesis than a SNES especially when games like Mortal Kombat didn’t have the blood or fatalities for the SNES.[/QUOTE]

Considering that the SNES didn’t come out until halfway through 91 and the Genesis came out in 89, I think that’s a rather odd time frame to choose. In 89, NES was still supreme. In 92, Genesis was king. After that they were neck and neck, although Genesis had a way better reputation with kids in the US. I like Genesis better, but it didn’t win the console war. The reason they started adding in so many gimmicks was so that they could gain and maintain a market edge that was elusive. I love Sega, probably more than anyone here, but just like Xbox is the best system to own right now, they are not close to winning the console war.

[QUOTE=NovaNiner;430217]There is big business and there is BIG BUSINESS. Once Sony got in the game (and subsequently Microsoft), there was no way Sega could compete with companies with those competencies.[/QUOTE]

Sega absolutely could have competed. They just poorly managed their company. The reason Sony and Microsoft got involved in video games in the first place is because it was such a big money mine. Trust me, if it was just “big business” those companies would never have gotten involved in the first place. And they aren’t even the biggest money makers in the industry, not even close. Ninetendo is.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;430218]Doesn’t it mean the same thing to watch TV and watch TV shows?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I watch maybe an hour and a half of TV a week. I have a TV on at work all day, and I don’t think I watch more than a few minutes a day. I tend to think of watching TV as actively doing it. I never have more than two shows in season at a time.

[QUOTE=Savio;430230]Being an avid Role playing gamer from both the Genesis and SNES consoles, they both had their fair share of great RPG titles.

SNES had Final Fantasy series (best ever), Chrono Trigger (even better), Zelda, Secret of Evermore, Dragon Quest, Lufia, Lagoon and that’s just the best titles I remember playing.

Genesis had Phantasy Star series (great games), Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness, Landstalker and Sword of Vermillion.

SNES blew Genesis out of the water in the RPG category.[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy II and III on SNES were tight. Final Fantasy, in general, sucks ass. They are not the best RPG series of all time, they suck. Tactics was the last good FF game. FFX is one of the worst games I’ve ever played. Square Enix makes a lot of crappy games and people buy them because of the name.

Shining Force is the greatest RPG series of all time. Suikoden and the Tales series also are way better than FF. The Elder Scroll series, the Fallout Series, and Fable are also better series than FF. Chrono Trigger was a great game though.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;430242]Honestly, I always thought RPG games were pretty gay.[/QUOTE]

You’re gay.

Considering that the SNES didn't come out until halfway through 91 and the Genesis came out in 89, I think that's a rather odd time frame to choose. In 89, NES was still supreme. In 92, Genesis was king. After that they were neck and neck, although Genesis had a way better reputation with kids in the US. I like Genesis better, but it didn't win the console war. The reason they started adding in so many gimmicks was so that they could gain and maintain a market edge that was elusive. I love Sega, probably more than anyone here, but just like Xbox is the best system to own right now, they are not close to winning the console war.

Sega absolutely could have competed. They just poorly managed their company. The reason Sony and Microsoft got involved in video games in the first place is because it was such a big money mine. Trust me, if it was just “big business” those companies would never have gotten involved in the first place. And they aren’t even the biggest money makers in the industry, not even close. Ninetendo is.

I dunno, I watch maybe an hour and a half of TV a week. I have a TV on at work all day, and I don’t think I watch more than a few minutes a day. I tend to think of watching TV as actively doing it. I never have more than two shows in season at a time.

Final Fantasy II and III on SNES were tight. Final Fantasy, in general, sucks ass. They are not the best RPG series of all time, they suck. Tactics was the last good FF game. FFX is one of the worst games I’ve ever played. Square Enix makes a lot of crappy games and people buy them because of the name.

Shining Force is the greatest RPG series of all time. Suikoden and the Tales series also are way better than FF. The Elder Scroll series, the Fallout Series, and Fable are also better series than FF. Chrono Trigger was a great game though.

You’re gay.

Yeah…I was talking about the series only on the SNES which are II and III.

I totally forgot about Suikoden where you could actually have an army of members in your party and you could select from.

Out of the newer generation of FF on the PS+, FFVII makes the cut.

Yeah, they were tight on SNES. There’s no doubt that there were more RPGs on SNES. Secret of Mana was great too. But I liked the RPGs that Sega had more.