Top 25 Gaming Consoles

The current generation of "action RPGs" are quite good actually. Fallout, Fable, etc.

Some of the newer ones have been better about attaching action components to them, and I have actually enjoyed. FF games always bored me to death. I get to hit a guy and then wait to take a shot from him, and I may or may not block it, and then I get to take my turn again? It just was never for me.

You're gay.

I seriously made that comment b/c I knew you wouldn’t let me down.

FF is gay.

It’s basically about watching dudes dressing up like chicks and holding your dick.

FF is gay.

It’s basically about watching dudes dressing up like chicks and holding your dick.

Well not holding mine, but I’m glad you had a similar opinion of it that I did.

Yeah, I mean, that kind of video gaming is lame as hell. It was alright when it was on NES and they were the only games that had a story or were longer than 6 hours.

Considering that the SNES didn't come out until halfway through 91 and the Genesis came out in 89, I think that's a rather odd time frame to choose. In 89, NES was still supreme. In 92, Genesis was king. After that they were neck and neck, although Genesis had a way better reputation with kids in the US. I like Genesis better, but it didn't win the console war. The reason they started adding in so many gimmicks was so that they could gain and maintain a market edge that was elusive. I love Sega, probably more than anyone here, but just like Xbox is the best system to own right now, they are not close to winning the console war.

PS and Saturn came out in '95. So say '90 - '94. Pretty close going from memory.

If you had a market edge you won that generation’s console war. I never said it was a blowout. I was just pointing out when someone said the SNES is one of the top systems that it wasn’t even the top system of its generation. Genesis was by a hair.

Tell that to Microsoft who lost money on every XBox they sold for years. Until recently Sony lost money on every PS3. Nintendo has a huge cash cow in the handheld market.

The market can’t support more than three systems. When you have competitors like that there is no way little ole Sega can compete. As bad as their management was, even they realized that and moved to software exclusively.

[QUOTE=NovaNiner;430292]PS and Saturn came out in '95. So say '90 - '94. Pretty close going from memory.

If you had a market edge you won that generation’s console war. I never said it was a blowout. I was just pointing out when someone said the SNES is one of the top systems that it wasn’t even the top system of its generation. Genesis was by a hair.

Tell that to Microsoft who lost money on every XBox they sold for years. Until recently Sony lost money on every PS3. Nintendo has a huge cash cow in the handheld market.

The market can’t support more than three systems. When you have competitors like that there is no way little ole Sega can compete. As bad as their management was, even they realized that and moved to software exclusively.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, Genesis had an edge, and SNES had an edge. So, they both won? That’s not a very sound argument. Genesis had a lead in the sales numbers very briefly once SNES was in full swing. So, they won a battle, not the war. SNES was the top system in their generation, hence the reason Sega wanted to get a head start on the Saturn. They abandoned the Genesis when they saw they weren’t going to win the market. As bad as a decision as the 32x and the CD were, the Saturn was the worst decision. It was the cause for the collapse of Sega, coupled with the decline of arcade machines. Honestly, that had as much to do with Sega falling out as anything else. They were primarily an arcade company, but people stopped playing coin-op games.

As far as companies losing money on consoles (Sony is still losing money on consoles, btw), that is standard operating procedure. Those companies rely on accessory and video game sales to support the consoles. Dreamcast being hacker ready didn’t help Sega at all. Of course that wasn’t the reason they failed, but it didn’t help. And Microsoft came into the console wars after Sega was well on their way out. Microsoft likely wouldn’t be around still if it weren’t for the success of the 360, which was totally unexpected by most people in the industry. Sony has made the mistake that plagued companies throughout video game history: Bigger, better, best hardware rarely equals to best console. Heck, the Xbox was far and away the best system last generation and they certainly weren’t winning any console wars. Xbox 360 has the worst hardware overall and they are in second place, ahead of the superior PS3.

I loved Genesis, played Mortal Kombat II and III into the ground. However I am a loyal Playstation fan. I got hooked on Syphon Filter for PS1 and have been loyal to Sony ever since. And gay or not (which I am definitely heterosexual), I am a Final Fantasy freak (But not an RPG freak). Not ashamed to admit it either. Despite the terrible teenage melodrama, the story is what I play for, I love it. Always reminds me of Lord of the Rings. Ok, go ahead call me super nerd.

[QUOTE=zepandragefan;430318]I loved Genesis, played Mortal Kombat II and III into the ground. However I am a loyal Playstation fan. I got hooked on Syphon Filter for PS1 and have been loyal to Sony ever since. And gay or not (which I am definitely heterosexual), I am a Final Fantasy freak (But not an RPG freak). Not ashamed to admit it either. Despite the terrible teenage melodrama, the story is what I play for, I love it. Always reminds me of Lord of the Rings. Ok, go ahead call me super nerd.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I don’t think anyone who takes the time to read this thread could really call someone a supernerd.

Uhhh, Genesis had an edge, and SNES had an edge. So, they both won?

I’m starting to feel like such a dork for continuing this argument. I actually did a MBA paper on the video game industry. I also did one on fantasy sports. I know, I’m so cool.

Genesis won the sales war in '91, '92, '93, and '95. Nintendo only won it in '94. After '95 the sales become irrelevant because the PS and Saturn launched, despite the fact that the SNES still sold well skewing the final numbers. The N64 wasn’t launched until '97.

So Sega barely won the war when the war was actively being fought. If the Xbox was outselling the PS2 today it wouldn’t mean anything.

SNES was the top system in their generation, hence the reason Sega wanted to get a head start on the Saturn.
Not exactly. Sega did feel that technological superiority was the key to winning, but it also had to defend against upcoming PS. Obviously it made a horrible system and the rest is history.
It was the cause for the collapse of Sega, coupled with the decline of arcade machines. Honestly, that had as much to do with Sega falling out as anything else. They were primarily an arcade company, but people stopped playing coin-op games.
I agree with this.
As far as companies losing money on consoles (Sony is still losing money on consoles, btw), that is standard operating procedure.
That's only standard operating procedure now that Sony and Microsoft are in the mix and can afford to do so. At least at these crazy levels. Nintendo doesn't sell the Wii at a loss.

Sony is losing money on the Slim but I thought I read they were making money on the original model. Maybe that was the 360.

Microsoft likely wouldn't be around still if it weren't for the success of the 360
Zune? Microsoft would still be around.

I missed out on the gaming thing. When I wasn’t working I guess I was partying too much. Gaming would have been cheaper.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;430320]I mean, I don’t think anyone who takes the time to read this thread could really call someone a supernerd.[/QUOTE]

True, lol.

[QUOTE=NovaNiner;430321]I’m starting to feel like such a dork for continuing this argument. I actually did a MBA paper on the video game industry. I also did one on fantasy sports. I know, I’m so cool.

Genesis won the sales war in '91, '92, '93, and '95. Nintendo only won it in '94. After '95 the sales become irrelevant because the PS and Saturn launched, despite the fact that the SNES still sold well skewing the final numbers. The N64 wasn’t launched until '97.

So Sega barely won the war when the war was actively being fought. If the Xbox was outselling the PS2 today it wouldn’t mean anything.
[/quote]

Then you know that the reason the Saturn was launched is because Sega was quickly losing their market share. If the numbers hadn’t ended up with the SNES selling 20 million more systems (almost twice as many), then I could say that it was close or that the Genesis won when it mattered. But they didn’t.

Not exactly. Sega did feel that technological superiority was the key to winning, but it also had to defend against upcoming PS. Obviously it made a horrible system and the rest is history.

They made a lot of mistakes with the Saturn. Most important was probably abandoning it, like they did the Genesis.

That's only standard operating procedure now that Sony and Microsoft are in the mix and can afford to do so. At least at these crazy level. Nintendo doesn't sell the Wii at a loss.

Sony is losing money on the Slim but I thought I read they were making money on the original model. Maybe that was the 360.

It’s been SOP for a long, long time. Dreamcast and Saturn were both money losers, as were the Xbox and PS1/2 at launch. I don’t know if Genesis was as well, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Nintendo’s Wii has always been a money maker, but it is a nominal upgrade over the Gamecube.

[quote]
Zune? Microsoft would still be around.[/QUOTE]

Of course they still would be around, but not in the video game industry. The Xbox wouldn’t have ruined their corporation, but I guarentee you that if they had another system that performed as well as the Xbox, they would wasting time and money to be making an Xbox 720, or whatever they make next.

In a lot of ways, Microsoft learned how to play the game from Sega, without their snafus. Their work on the Dreamcast is the reason we have the 360, and they certainly are willing to take more chances than either of the other two systems on the market. But Microsoft plays it safe where Sega was balls out. Microsoft will make Fable II, Natal, even bring out Culdcept Saga, but they won’t release the games that revolutionize gaming that Sega would. Nintendo and Sony are play it safe companies and Microsoft is closer to them in the grand scheme of things. I hope someone comes along and starts creating games that push the boundries again soon, but I fear that no platform will support them. If a platform will, it will be the 360 in this market.

[QUOTE=hootie;430322]I missed out on the gaming thing. When I wasn’t working I guess I was partying too much. Gaming would have been cheaper.[/QUOTE]

No way, I spend way less money on booze than video games. ****, a system is $300. Think about how much booze you can buy for that.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;430329]No way, I spend way less money on booze than video games. ****, a system is $300. Think about how much booze you can buy for that.[/QUOTE]

A night’s worth.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;430329]No way, I spend way less money on booze than video games. ****, a system is $300. Think about how much booze you can buy for that.[/QUOTE]

You just made me feel bad about myself. I could own Sega or Nintendo with all the booze I’ve consumed over the years. Mom is so proud.

[QUOTE=hootie;430322]I missed out on the gaming thing. When I wasn’t working I guess I was partying too much. Gaming would have been cheaper.[/QUOTE]

The first week and a half of grad school I went out drinking every night. Ran through a month’s worth of spending money.

Gaming was cheaper. And I already had a woman back home.

Much nerdier, but she appreciated I wasnt at bars all the time.

Working out is win though. Even if its just cardio.

Maybe it’s just because I drank cheap stuff in college. Even if I went out to bars (which I did pretty much every night), a pitcher of Yueng was still only $5 and PBR at Pics was $4. 2-3 pitchers a night + tip $20. When I drank liquor at parties, I’d bring my own half-gallon of Aristocrat, it would set me back $10?

And I drank seagram’s gin. I still do (of course, I have plenty of beefeater).

I never made it out of a bar on the strip in Knox Vegas for under $50, most nights it was $75.

Doesn’t help when one of your profs is doing shots with the cute girls and calling the guys weenies for not keeping up.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;430343]I never made it out of a bar on the strip in Knox Vegas for under $50, most nights it was $75.[/QUOTE]

I’m not saying I never dropped big tabs, but generally those came up when I bought for other people.

You must have drank a lot of liquor.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;430344]I’m not saying I never dropped big tabs, but generally those came up when I bought for other people.
[/QUOTE]

Or when the waitress/bartender was hot!