Top 25 is out

BC-BKC–Top 25,0300
Top Twenty Five
By The Associated Press
The top 25 teams in The Associated Press’ men’s college basketball poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, records through Jan. 23, total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote and last week’s ranking:
;Record;Pts;Pvs

1. Illinois (71);19-0;1,799;1
  2. Duke (1);15-0;1,704;4
  3. North Carolina;16-2;1,574;6
  4. Syracuse;19-1;1,530;7
  5. Wake Forest;16-2;1,521;3
  6. Kansas;14-1;1,425;2
  7. Kentucky;14-2;1,356;8
  8. Boston College;16-0;1,322;9
  9. Oklahoma St.;14-2;1,289;5
  10. Washington;16-2;1,123;10
  11. Arizona;16-3;1,030;13
  12. Louisville;16-3;989;14
  13. Oklahoma;15-2;930;18
  14. Alabama;15-3;706;22
  15. Michigan St.;12-3;693;19
  16. Texas;14-4;684;15
  17. Gonzaga;14-4;534;11
  18. Wisconsin;13-3;473;24
  19. Connecticut;11-4;460;16
  20. Pittsburgh;13-3;435;21
  21. Cincinnati;15-3;411;20
  22. Georgia Tech;11-5;405;12
  23. Iowa;14-4;337;23
  24. Mississippi St.;16-4;259;17
  25. Utah;16-3;117;–
    Others receiving votes: Villanova 77, Wichita St. 40, Charlotte 23, Old Dominion 21, Pacific 19, UTEP 18, Texas Tech 15, Vermont 12, Texas A&M 10, Florida 8, Bucknell 6, George Washington 6, Marquette 6, Maryland 6, S. Illinois 6, Georgetown 5, Nevada 4, Stanford 3, DePaul 2, Notre Dame 2, Oregon 2, St. Mary’s, Cal. 2, Miami 1.

OOPS! Big Gaffe with this post. NM. Villanova jumped very high for one win.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 03:23 PM [b] WTH Villanova waxes an overrated UConn team and they jump that many points. Bushido! [/b]
Or possibly an undefeated Kansas team, LOL

OK, Utah I’ll buy, they’re on a roll.

Villanova made the big splash.

Wichita State I don’t get, so they beat the Salukis at home. We beat the Salukis at their home and it didn’t mean squat in the polls.

Ga. Tech should be out based on three consecutive losses. I don’t care who they played and the last one was UGLY! If you can’t hang with them, you don’t deserve to be ranked with them. You have to win to stay in. NA’s paper bag theory is gaining credibility.

Otherwise, we are right where I thought we’d be. Keep rolling and take care of business on Wed.

Just what I thought… no change. Kinda glad because we always choke when we get ranked.

[b]Ga. Tech should be out based on three consecutive losses. I don't care who they played and the last one was UGLY! If you can't hang with them, you don't deserve to be ranked with them. You have to win to stay in. NA's paper bag theory is gaining credibility. [/b]

amen. 5 losses and they’re still ranked? Gimme a break.

we lost 6 votes from last week, but moved up?

i think its kinda unfair for cincy, i mean yeah they lost but it was to a top five team that came off a loss. villanova and witchita st. can both kiss my ass. i know it must be tough for witchita st. to overcome heartbreaking losses to the likes of indiana st. and manhattan, but please, these guys are pretenders. Maybe were not top 25, but it would be nice.

Villanova’s big win got them 77 votes this week after getting none last week… that probably took a few of our votes away. Even if we win both of our games this week, we will probably need some help to sneak in next week’s poll. Can’t worry about that though… just keep winning.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 04:02 PM [b]Villanova's big win got them 77 votes this week after getting [i]none[/i] last week... that probably took a few of our votes away. Even if we win both of our games this week, we will probably need some help to sneak in next week's poll. Can't worry about that though... just keep winning.[/b]
Very true. Neither of our games this week are going to impress anybody, but if we win them both we still have an outside shot of sneaking in. Regardless, if we take care of business this week, Cincinnati will (once again) be the game standing between us and the top 25.

But that shouldn’t be our goal, winning against TCU should be our goal right now!

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er+Jan 24 2005, 05:08 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Butter49er @ Jan 24 2005, 05:08 PM)

we have to win both of these games this week and we are in the top 25!! and i’ll tell you why?..because the next game after that is with cincinatti on national T.V. ESPN always wants two top 25 teams playing during rivalry week! the ratings are higher and thats what it is all about!! plus, two out of the next three games are on national T.V. so its time get some national respect…lets see if we can do it…i hope we do!!

If you pay attention and believe in the relevance of the power polls, then Wichita State is worthy. They are one position ahead of us in the Sagarine Ratings (31st), and they are #23 in the RPI. Do I think they are truly better than us? No, but they have virtually the same record against a tougher overall schedule thus far. We just have to keep taking care of business and we will be fine. The polls are opinionated, so there is no use to argue about it. G Tech will remain in the Top 25 until they get 7 losses. They went to the Final Four last year, and the voters are still remembering that fact with or without B.J. Elder. Even if we win both games this week, we won’t get in next week unless somebody in the bottom 7 loses.

[i]Originally posted by mazzniner[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 04:11 PM [b] we have to win both of these games this week and we are in the top 25!! and i'll tell you why?...because the next game after that is with cincinatti on national T.V. ESPN always wants two top 25 teams playing during rivalry week! the ratings are higher and thats what it is all about!! [/b]
Umm... it isn't up to ESPN... and they don't vote based on who you are going to play the next week.
[i]Originally posted by ninerID[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 04:10 PM [b]15-3 would look really good though.[/b]
Somebody else will jump up and shock a top 10 or 15 team and leapfrog us if somebody drops out. You don't get respect by beating TCU or ECU, we are expected to win those games. It's winning against Cincinnati, UAB, Depaul, Marquette and Louisville that will open up some eyes.

It’s absolutely possible that winning both of these games this week will get us ranked, but not without a lot of help(like Utah, GT or Miss St. losing to a .500 team and Villanova & Wichita St. both losing).

Ga Tech received over 400 votes compared to our 23. They are probably getting a lot of Top 10 votes, hard to believe it.

There schedule is interesting, their own fans have big doubts due to this, they are like 2-4 on the road. They have one decent win, Michigan, no other good win, maybe they turn it around in the next few weeks they do have an injury.

In fact when Va. Tech beat Ga. Tech this weekend it was their first Top 25 road win in 22 years.

Speaking of Tech’s, I think Texas Tech is getting good again, they are playing like a top 20 team.

If we win 2 this week, we are in.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 05:18 PM [b] If you pay attention and believe in the relevance of the power polls, then Wichita State is worthy... [/b]
I just wanted to say that your avatar RULES X. B)
[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 03:33 PM [b] Ga. Tech should be out based on three consecutive losses. I don't care who they played and the last one was UGLY! If you can't hang with them, you don't deserve to be ranked with them. You have to win to stay in. NA's paper bag theory is gaining credibility. [/b]
Ga Tech will continue to receive lots of votes because they are still considered to be one of the best teams in the 2 tiered overrated acc (yes, Wake, the tarholes, & dook should be ranked that high, but that's all), The "pro-acc" acc voters will always vote very "acc heavy" and they have no other team to throw into the Top 15 or 20 (even though they still slipped to 22).

the way things are panning out even with a win today i dont see us getting in the top 25 on monday. some crazy things would have to happen.

Only if GT beats Maryland will we have a SLIGHT chance of getting in. If Maryland beats GT, i say GT stays in and Maryland moves in as well. But… . . who cares?! A cincy win will jump us into the top 20 without a doubt.