Top Colleges 2013: Best Values

[quote=“VA49er, post:20, topic:27992”][quote=“Dowless, post:19, topic:27992”][quote=“Ninercentral, post:12, topic:27992”]Dude, the ROI from Charlotte is better than App. If you want to go to college and be a hippy and have faux-intellectual discussions and what not, then ROI may not matter.

That said, for most folks ROI is what college is all about. Few people go to college with the intention of not seeing a return on their investment, and the fact of the matter is that it is simply better at Charlotte.

For my money, you can factor in all the rankings in the world, but College Experience x ROI = Value of college.

FWIW, I graduated undergrad in 2006, we never had football, but we had some pretty damn good basketball teams in the meantime. I never experienced the phantom problems of nothing to do on the weekend, and I think I had a pretty awesome college experience sans football. My ROI is modified somewhat because I got a professional degree, but I can tell you that App was never on my radar.

I think it’s funny how we bicker about this stuff. At the end of the day, ROI is better at Charlotte, plain and simple. That’s why I went to college.[/quote]

I think you are giving 18 year old’s way too much credit. The majority are not thinking ROI. They are thinking guy/girl ratios, who has the best dorm rooms, frats/sororities, and finally major. Maybe I was just different at that age. 8)[/quote]
I bet their parents do though since they are ones probably paying for everything.[/quote]

Would you tell your kid they couldn’t go to college because the ROI was not there? I don’t think many do.

You are wrong! ECU puts out the most teachers in NC and Charlotte is 2nd. App State puts out the 3rd most. So, your “bread and butter” comes in behind Charlotte too. As for quality of teachers, I personally know an elementary school principal in Charlotte Meck. Schools who went to App (so did her husband and daughter) and she actually told me herself that Charlotte is putting out the best teachers in NC right now and believe me, it pained her to admit. it. So, get a clue before you pretend to know what you’re talking about. Nice try.

No what skews the average is that people who graduate from App do not posses the skill set needed to succeed in today’s society.

[quote=“Dowless, post:19, topic:27992”][quote=“Ninercentral, post:12, topic:27992”]Dude, the ROI from Charlotte is better than App. If you want to go to college and be a hippy and have faux-intellectual discussions and what not, then ROI may not matter.

That said, for most folks ROI is what college is all about. Few people go to college with the intention of not seeing a return on their investment, and the fact of the matter is that it is simply better at Charlotte.

For my money, you can factor in all the rankings in the world, but College Experience x ROI = Value of college.

FWIW, I graduated undergrad in 2006, we never had football, but we had some pretty damn good basketball teams in the meantime. I never experienced the phantom problems of nothing to do on the weekend, and I think I had a pretty awesome college experience sans football. My ROI is modified somewhat because I got a professional degree, but I can tell you that App was never on my radar.

I think it’s funny how we bicker about this stuff. At the end of the day, ROI is better at Charlotte, plain and simple. That’s why I went to college.[/quote]

I think you are giving 18 year old’s way too much credit. The majority are not thinking ROI. They are thinking guy/girl ratios, who has the best dorm rooms, frats/sororities, and finally major. Maybe I was just different at that age. 8)[/quote] Umm, no. You were not different. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dowless, post:21, topic:27992”][quote=“VA49er, post:20, topic:27992”][quote=“Dowless, post:19, topic:27992”][quote=“Ninercentral, post:12, topic:27992”]Dude, the ROI from Charlotte is better than App. If you want to go to college and be a hippy and have faux-intellectual discussions and what not, then ROI may not matter.

I think you are giving 18 year old’s way too much credit. The majority are not thinking ROI. They are thinking guy/girl ratios, who has the best dorm rooms, frats/sororities, and finally major. Maybe I was just different at that age. 8)[/quote]
I bet their parents do though since they are ones probably paying for everything.[/quote]

Would you tell your kid they couldn’t go to college because the ROI was not there? I don’t think many do.[/quote]
Go to college? No. Go to that particular college? Yes.

You are wrong! ECU puts out the most teachers in NC and Charlotte is 2nd. App State puts out the 3rd most. So, your “bread and butter” comes in behind Charlotte too. As for quality of teachers, I personally know an elementary school principal in Charlotte Meck. Schools who went to App (so did her husband and daughter) and she actually told me herself that Charlotte is putting out the best teachers in NC right now and believe me, it pained her to admit. it. So, get a clue before you pretend to know what you’re talking about. Nice try.[/quote]

So I am wrong with an exclamation point and so is US News and Forbes because you heard it from one principal. Got it.

You are wrong! ECU puts out the most teachers in NC and Charlotte is 2nd. App State puts out the 3rd most. So, your “bread and butter” comes in behind Charlotte too. As for quality of teachers, I personally know an elementary school principal in Charlotte Meck. Schools who went to App (so did her husband and daughter) and she actually told me herself that Charlotte is putting out the best teachers in NC right now and believe me, it pained her to admit. it. So, get a clue before you pretend to know what you’re talking about. Nice try.[/quote]

So I am wrong with an exclamation point and so is US News and Forbes because you heard it from one principal. Got it.[/quote]
I’d take the word from a principal in the state every day over whatever US News and Forbes write.

Sadly if you are hitching your wagon to producing teachers your wagon doesn’t have too bright a future. The field is not sustainable based on the cost of college tuition vs. pay and benefits.

As a whole or just in NC?

Just wanted to chime in on the ridiculousness of these rankings, and not just because they had us ranked much lower than I think we should be (I think Charlotte was also ranked much too low, along with the other UNC system schools- sans Chapel Hill and State). But any ranking that takes into account “RateMyProfessor.com” as 22.5% of the criteria can pretty much be thrown away completely. I just hope there isn’t some moron executive that considers these rankings when making a decision.

So I am wrong with an exclamation point and so is US News and Forbes because you heard it from one principal. Got it.[/quote]

No! You are wrong (with an exclamation point) because you claimed App puts out the most teachers. Seems pretty obvious to anyone with any reading comprehension skills at all. The part about the principal’s opinion was just for informational purposes FROM AN APP STATE FAN/GRAD/principal (ie; no reason for her to lie----quite the opposite actually).

[quote=“Burlington App, post:30, topic:27992”]Just wanted to chime in on the ridiculousness of these rankings, and not just because they had us ranked much lower than I think we should be (I think Charlotte was also ranked much too low, along with the other UNC system schools- sans Chapel Hill and State). But any ranking that takes into account “RateMyProfessor.com” as 22.5% of the criteria can pretty much be thrown away completely. I just hope there isn’t some moron executive that considers these rankings when making a decision.[/quote]rankings are an easy way to get clicks and pageviews to a website, so they get more ad revenue. bleacher Report perfected this. Rankings create controversy and controversey creates interest.

I agree that several NC schools were rated way too low.

The important, but very off-topic debate on Education in NC has been moved to the Politics forum. Any other politically-tinged posts will be removed. Anyone who wants to continue posting in the Education topic but is without access, PM me.

New link: http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=31922.0