Torin Dorn - 2014 SG - signed LOI to Charlotte

6’4 SG out of Vance HS (NC). We’ve recently offered.

http://obsprepspot.blogspot.com/2012/10/vance-high-basketball-star-torin-dorn.html

Rivals - no stars

Scout - no profile

ESPN - 3 stars

247 - no stars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjP-ogQAIOw

I hope the kid explodes, but 7 PPG… ugh.

I’d be curious what he did over the summer in AAU play. Might have shown the staff something.

You guys know this guys dad (same name) was a “Tar Heel Great” football player right? double ugg… :frowning:

Edit: sorry, I didn’t notice that was in the article also.

I’d be curious what he did over the summer in AAU play. Might have shown the staff something.[/quote]

That’s what appears to have been discussed on Twitter last night. Please bring original material.

I’d be curious what he did over the summer in AAU play. Might have shown the staff something.[/quote]

That’s what appears to have been discussed on Twitter last night. Please bring original material.[/quote]

How about you bring that material to the thread instead of being a bitch?

from ESPN article this week:

• Torin Dorn (Charlotte, N.C./Vance) is a good guard who drives right into the teeth of the defense, feeds the post and makes shots. He is a player his teammates and coaches can trust, and his game is growing in many areas as his production becomes more consistent. He mentioned that Charlotte has offered him and he is starting to gain interest from Virginia.

From a Wake blogger that covered Rick Lewis’ phenom event as well:

Torin Dorn 2014 SG – Vance HS (NC) There is so much to like about this kid. Many people have never even heard of him, and that needs to change because he has all the tools to be special. A 6’4” combo guard, Dorn brings so many different things to the table that all help his team win. Offensively, he can thrive playing on or off the ball. He has the explosion and ball handling ability to create for himself off the dribble, as he consistently got to the rim and finished with relative ease throughout the day. Without the ball in his hands, he never stops moving and is always looking to either set himself up for a bucket or help a teammate get one. While these qualities and many others make his offensive game very attractive, his ability on the defensive end is equally impressive. His athleticism allows him to guard all three perimeter positions, recover quickly, and rebound well out of his position, and his willingness to push himself only adds to those abilities. He’s a guy who is confident in his abilities, values every single possession, and strives to compete harder than anyone else on the floor. Dorn informed me that he recently picked up a UNC-Charlotte offer and has interest from a few others. That interest should turn into offers soon, as players with his combination of talent, skill, and intangibles are hard to find. Mid-majors and up should take note.

[quote=“2k, post:8, topic:26998”]From a Wake blogger that covered Rick Lewis’ phenom event as well:

Torin Dorn 2014 SG – Vance HS (NC) ...and his willingness to push himself only adds to those abilities. He’s a guy who is confident in his abilities, values every single possession, and strives to compete harder than anyone else on the floor.
[/quote]

Time to ruffle feathers

Unfortunately, I haven’t yet seen the fiery Coach Major that makes players push themselves to improve. I hope that doesn’t kill this kid’s work ethic. All successful coaches have little patience and lots of enthusiasm. Major needs to get angry and inspire these players to put in 12 hours a day in the gym.

So a coach must have anger to get players to improve? Hitler would have been a hell of a coach.

I don’t think they have to get hateful - but if you hear stories of how Coach K, Knight, Dean Smith, Wooden, Calhoun, Izzo, etc are in practice it’s obvious that they demand the best and if they feel a player isn’t giving their best then they let them know it. We aren’t in practice so we don’t know how Major really is with the guys - but a coach has to walk a fine line. It is really like being a father - get angry when you should and be supportive when you should. Can’t be one or the other all the time - but there is a time for each.

In public Major seems to almost always be supportive - I hope in practice he isn’t afraid to get in a players face and demand excellence.

I don’t think they have to get hateful - but if you hear stories of how Coach K, Knight, Dean Smith, Wooden, Calhoun, Izzo, etc are in practice it’s obvious that they demand the best and if they feel a player isn’t giving their best then they let them know it. We aren’t in practice so we don’t know how Major really is with the guys - but a coach has to walk a fine line. It is really like being a father - get angry when you should and be supportive when you should. Can’t be one or the other all the time - but there is a time for each.

In public Major seems to almost always be supportive - I hope in practice he isn’t afraid to get in a players face and demand excellence. [/quote]One would think he didn’t coddle Spears with the way that played out from when Major got here.

In public Major seems to almost always be supportive - I hope in practice he isn’t afraid to get in a players face and demand excellence. [/quote]One would think he didn’t coddle Spears with the way that played out from when Major got here.[/quote]

Yeah I would think not - but the way Spears was acting during the games he could have gotten kicked out just based on that - it would have been nice to be a fly on the wall in those practices. There is also a difference from kicking off an idiot sr who is supposed to be a team leader and doesn’t respecet you and being able to get in the face of a freshmen or soph who needs to work harder to get better. Being a coach like that is tough - gotta know when to push and when to back off. The great ones do it perfectly.

Have any of you been to one of Major’s practices?

If not please refrain from judging his practice behavior based on games. No one here would debate that Lutz was a fiery guy on the sidelines yet a lot of people on here complained about how little our players improved under him. So obviously just being a fiery guy is not the mystery ingredient in improving players.

And Spears was literally an idiot. The guy got his second T in a basketball exhibition for slamming the basketball and acted like he had no clue what he did wrong. I’m sorry but most kids in middle school and high school know that is a big no no so there is no excuse for a college senior doing it much less not knowing it warranted a T.

Sorry don’t mean to start a Major/Lutz debate nor further hijack this thread.

Anyways back on topic Dorn sounds like an interesting prospect that could really help the team if we can land him especially the part about making shots.

[quote=“cdsniner, post:14, topic:26998”]Have any of you been to one of Major’s practices?

If not please refrain from judging his practice behavior based on games. No one here would debate that Lutz was a fiery guy on the sidelines yet a lot of people on here complained about how little our players improved under him. So obviously just being a fiery guy is not the mystery ingredient in improving players.

And Spears was literally an idiot. The guy got his second T in a basketball for slamming the basketball and acted like he had no clue what he did wrong. I’m sorry but most kids in middle school and high school no that is a big no no so there is no excuse for a college senior doing it much less not knowing it warranted a T.

Anyways back on topic Dorn sounds like an interesting prospect that could really help the team if we can land him especially the part about making shots.[/quote]Very well said.

[quote=“cdsniner, post:14, topic:26998”]Have any of you been to one of Major’s practices?

If not please refrain from judging his practice behavior based on games.[/quote]

I think it is fine to contemplate and think about how he coaches in practice. Since we aren’t there all we can do is think about it and talk about it. I am not making any judgements - but when we are bringing in kids who need to be coached up I think it is a fair topic to discuss what kind of a coach he is behind closed doors vs. on the game floor.

It sounds like Dorn is a coach’s dream though - the ones with an internal desire to get better and fight through adversity are the players who can become leaders - something we have been lacking in terms of leadership since Leemire IMO. Sounds like he would be a good addition.

And Spears was literally an idiot. The guy got his second T in a basketball exhibition for slamming the basketball and acted like he had no clue what he did wrong. I’m sorry but most kids in middle school and high school know that is a big no no so there is no excuse for a college senior doing it much less not knowing it warranted a T.

Anyways back on topic Dorn sounds like an interesting prospect that could really help the team if we can land him especially the part about making shots.[/quote]

You’re absolutely right. I haven’t seen practices so I don’t really know. It is just my impression. Who really knows for sure.

Hopefully this kid can come in and bring a positive work ethic like it was mentioned. Could be a real inspiration for the other players.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:16, topic:26998”][quote=“cdsniner, post:14, topic:26998”]Have any of you been to one of Major’s practices?

If not please refrain from judging his practice behavior based on games.[/quote]

I think it is fine to contemplate and think about how he coaches in practice. Since we aren’t there all we can do is think about it and talk about it. I am not making any judgements - but when we are bringing in kids who need to be coached up I think it is a fair topic to discuss what kind of a coach he is behind closed doors vs. on the game floor.

It sounds like Dorn is a coach’s dream though - the ones with an internal desire to get better and fight through adversity are the players who can become leaders - something we have been lacking in terms of leadership since Leemire IMO. Sounds like he would be a good addition.[/quote]

You just said that nobody is in the practice so how is it fair to talk about what you know nothing about. All you know is what we see in games or on tape. Hopefully, once the season starts we will know that he helps kids improve their game.

[quote=“Dowless, post:18, topic:26998”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:16, topic:26998”][quote=“cdsniner, post:14, topic:26998”]Have any of you been to one of Major’s practices?

It sounds like Dorn is a coach’s dream though - the ones with an internal desire to get better and fight through adversity are the players who can become leaders - something we have been lacking in terms of leadership since Leemire IMO. Sounds like he would be a good addition.[/quote]

You just said that nobody is in the practice so how is it fair to talk about what you know nothing about. All you know is what we see in games or on tape. [/quote]

Well maybe not fair - but I think it is fair game to discuss. I mean haven’t you ever wondered what Major is like behind closed doors?

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:11, topic:26998”]In public Major seems to almost always be supportive - I hope in practice he isn’t afraid to get in a players face and demand excellence.[/quote]I would hope he’s supportive in public. Calling guys out publicly rarely works out well with that player. In fact, it’s usually poisoning the relationship. But you can call someone out in practice or a meeting and it could help the player get their act together.

Also, just to note that guys coaching elite programs have more leeway to ride players hard, because they have built up a reputation that is more likely to command respect (similar to why they can ride the refs harder than anyone else and get away with it) and can afford to take the risk of losing them (there will be another blue-chipper waiting to take their place). I’m not sure it’s a fair comparison.