Towson to drop baseball and men's soccer

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-03-08/business/bal-towson-president-decides-to-cut-baseball-mens-soccer-20130308_1_maravene-loeschke-towson-president-towson-officials

10 police guards for a meeting with the baseball and soccer teams? WOW, scared much?

61% female population = 13 women’s to 6 men’s sports?

Title IX is doing to the back-end of collegiate sports what ESPN is doing to the front-end, ruining it.

Towson baseball players blacked out the name of the University on their jerseys this weekend.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2013/03/11/towson-baseball-team-blacks-out-jersey-insignia-in-protest-of-team-being-scrapped/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XBd6by9c1w0

I would have too! What the U Pres did was poorly handled!

I hope if given the chance, we can pick up one or more of those guys for the simple reason that what happened to them is just plain wrong.

Do you read the articles you post? The article made it clear this was nothing related to Title IX, was only used as an attempted excuse before those who studied the facts confirmed otherwise.

Do you read the articles you post? The article made it clear this was nothing related to Title IX, was only used as an attempted excuse before those who studied the facts confirmed otherwise.[/quote]

Just to play Devil’s advocate… Did you expect any president, let alone a female president of the school to pin this on Title IX??

Do you read the articles you post? The article made it clear this was nothing related to Title IX, was only used as an attempted excuse before those who studied the facts confirmed otherwise.[/quote]

The article states:

[font=arial]Loeschke ultimately decided that cutting the sports would best allow the athletic department to achieve fiscal stability and Title IX compliance[/font]

Seems Title IX is either the reason they are cutting the sports, or the excuse for it. Either way, its hard to argue that sports like wrestling haven’t taken a huge hit the last 30 years because schools look for cheap ways to be Title IX compliant.

How much of a drain is their football program on their entire athletic budget?

[font=arial][font=inherit][size=12px]" Members of the Towson community have rallied to save the sports since early October, and railed against what they viewed as a rigged process to ram through a plan devised by Waddell to divert money to marquee sports football and men’s basketball. "[/size][/font][/font]

They will add men’s tennis wtf??

Pretty sad. With the change I counted 320 W athlete’s, 190 M athlete’s, or 63% W athlete’s. Smell’s.

Football at nearly every university is a drain or for a better term an expense in a negative dollar amount in the millions… but, that is also the sport that generates the most interest, and gets alumni/ donors to come back which can make up for the drain…

Think about all the salaries, recruiting budget, equipment budget, travel budget, scholarships, facility expenses, etc… it’s a ton at every school… then you have to look at the cheapest men’s sports… and you can usually get part time coaches for the other sports or pay a basketball assistant to coach them(they do this at a ton of D2s) and just add that as a perk

Tennis: most kids have their own rackets so your only real cost is uniforms and travel(Richmond doesn’t even give scholarships) less than 10 kids

Cross Country: couple pairs of shoes, uniforms, travel can be less than 10 kids you can make it really cheap…

AD departments do the numbers their accountants are very smart, WVU cut the nations oldest track & field program and put that money into the coach’s salaries/ football facilities…

Maryland just wasted $55mill+ to upgrade their football facility(look at attendance to see the failure) and cut several of their men’s programs including men’s track & xc, bc they are broke even though they get uniforms for free from Under Armour) Towson is a UA program as well…

Delaware cut their men’s cross country and track program(departments program with the highest GPA and were one of the highest in the country) to put more money into football(also tried to use the Title IX)…

JMU cut men’s track xc, swimming & diving, to again get more money for football… I don’t look at football as a drain its just something requires a lot of funding and attention and you have to keep up with the jones’

I’m confident and excited about Charlotte Football increasing the attention and donation levels to our athletic department but, it will take some time till we get a return on the investment… I really hope we win CUSA in 2015 so we get that $20mill bonus that would help keep loan sharks away :wink:

oh and I forgot to mention… Richmond is cutting their men’s track & field program…

They already have ZERO scholarships… but, a donor is giving the university $1mill to start a men’s lacrosse team and they didn’t want to add any more women’s sports even though they just had their men’s XC team qualify for NCAA XC Nationals last year, and they sent two men to NCAA Nationals in Track & Field with one of them getting All American… extremely sad…(did I mention they don’t even have scholarships!!) Money talks though…

The men’s and women’s T&F coaches are married and have been coaching together for nearly 20 years as well(past 12 at richmond)