Traffic Circle

Today in one of my classes my professor stated that the school had spend over a million dollars on the new travel circle in front of Cato Hall. Does anyone else think this is a huge waste of money?

Yes

The professors are liberal and must be punished. Fire them all.

I love traffic circles! The provide route whimsey, colorful flavor and local character. You can also call them roundabouts! :smiley:

It’s a nice traffic circle. It could have something to do with the fact that the little stretch of road from the traffic circle to Robinson Hall is going to be two-way eventually and maybe a three way stop sign at the location of the traffic circle isn’t as effective. Plus, they have some stoplights installed there. There might be a fountain installed, hopefully involving a Miner.

i dont see how that much money was spent…but if i can drive through there without having to sit through an hour of people walking by sweet

i thought they would put in a tunnel or bridge before the roundabout

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Oct 6 2005, 12:42 AM [b] i dont see how that much money was spent...but if i can drive through there without having to sit through an hour of people walking by sweet

i thought they would put in a tunnel or bridge before the roundabout [/b]

road construction is VERY expensive, rising cost in gas/oil, causes other materials to rise. now a tunnel or bridge, that many wouldnt use, and would have to be ADA (handicap) compliant, now were talking money.

That circle is nice, and traffic flow at that intersection is now WAY better.

[i]Originally posted by JaMiNNiNeR[/i]@Oct 5 2005, 09:51 PM [b] Today in one of my classes my professor stated that the school had spend over a million dollars on the new travel circle in front of Cato Hall. Does anyone else think this is a huge waste of money? [/b]
If they've spent a million dollars on a traffic circle, then this thing must be lined with gold or somebody got hosed. Traffic circles usually don't cost much more than a stoplight to install when comparing each to equivalent intersections. Once folks learn how to use them in the community that they're located, they function better than a stoplight with little to no waiting. Somebody show me a picture of this thing and explain to me why it cost so much.

I have no problem with them. I have mastered the tiny one on Selwyn…35mph is no problem through that thing. But it’s not really a true roundabout…just something to slow ya down. :stuck_out_tongue: Kind of fun actually.

More than you ever cared to know about roundabouts

Drawing:

Check out this giant one with the basketball centerpiece:

Sheesh that drawing is big… :stuck_out_tongue: Love the basketball one in Bloomington though…very clever.

We have one in Union county and that thing didn’t cost NEARLY a million to build. I would be very skeptical of that proffesors number. With as tight as NC is being with education dollars…I just can’t see them slapping down 1 mil for a 250,000 dollar project.

[i]Originally posted by casstommy[/i]@Oct 6 2005, 09:28 AM [b] We have one in Union county and that thing didn't cost NEARLY a million to build. I would be very skeptical of that proffesors number. With as tight as NC is being with education dollars....I just can't see them slapping down 1 mil for a 250,000 dollar project. [/b]
What Casstommy said. That thing is pretty typical (e.g. single lane, four legs, etc.) as traffic circles go, so unless they are using ridiculously expensive materials they should be spending no more than a quarter mill.

There is WAY too much smack talk going on in this thread, it needs to be locked!!