TSN picks Niners 4th in C-USA

Picked up my copy of The Sporting News basketball preview over the weekend. Mike DeCourcy wrote the section on Conference USA and picked us 4th behind Louisville, Memphis, and Cincy. He expect 6 NCAA picks – Charlotte, Cincy, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, and Memphis.

More later, since I left the TSN preview at home in my rush to get out the door this morning…

GO NINERS!!!

Also comments that Withers “becomes an elite player when he surrounded by elite players.” referring to Withers’ 21-U USA performance.

Expects Charlotte to be this years UAB, a dangerous sweet 16 team.

Not much mention any other way, says Plavich is a deadly shooter but he is not ranked in the top 25 national shooting guards.
Say Iti has great reach, they struggle to find much of anything to say about him.
No mention of basden whatsoever except that he is the defensive player of the year.

All in all an average CUSA writeup, they rank cincinatti ahead of us, come on they have no one inside except for maxiell, MAYBE Hicks. I can’t think of any backcourt player except for james white, who they are using as a forward when he is really a shooting guard. Cincinatti riding on fumes of past greatness, and their coach is a drunk.

[i]Originally posted by DownwithNBA[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 02:26 PM [b] ....they rank cincinatti ahead of us, come on they have no one inside except for maxiell, MAYBE Hicks. I can't think of any backcourt player except for james white, who they are using as a forward when he is really a shooting guard. Cincinatti riding on fumes of past greatness, and their coach is a drunk. [/b]
They rank Cincy ahead of us for the same reason some people have dook in the top 10 this year. They've been there before so they assume they have to be there again. Not so this year.... for dook or Cincy.
[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 10:14 AM [b] ....He expect 6 NCAA picks -- Charlotte, Cincy, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, and Memphis.

[/b]

I understand the Observer has already stated 6 acc teams will get bids. They must have accidentally forgotten to mention that CUSA, the conference of the HONETOWN 49ERS may also get 6 bids…AGAIN!!!

B) B) B)

[i]Originally posted by DownwithNBA[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 02:26 PM [b]

All in all an average CUSA writeup, they rank cincinatti ahead of us, come on they have no one inside except for maxiell, MAYBE Hicks. I can’t think of any backcourt player except for james white, who they are using as a forward when he is really a shooting guard. Cincinatti riding on fumes of past greatness, and their coach is a drunk. [/b]

Cincy had a down year last year, and they still pulled out a Conference Championship in the regular and post season.

You can hate on them all you want, but they have earned the preseason respect. I don’t know that they will be better than us (I don’t think they will), but they certainly did more last season to earn respect before this season than we did. I think we have a good chance at first in the conference, but I will never count Cincy out. They have thoroughly dominated this league and when four other programs had outstanding years, they still couldn’t knock Cincy off from the top spot.

We were picked to finish 4th, behind two teams that are supposed to go deep in the tournament and one who is ranked higher because of past success. I’d say that’s a pretty fair ranking. That still puts 2 tournament teams below us in our conference.

Nothing the little O does surprises me anymore. The fact of that matter is that the paper has become very commercialized and hasn’t produced much quality journalism since the early 90’s. I’ve read some good stories, but not on a consistent basis.

I rarely buy the paper, I personally think it’s embarrassing with all of the grammatical errors and all.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait+Oct 18 2004, 08:52 PM--><>
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Powerbait @ Oct 18 2004, 08:52 PM)
[i]Originally posted by 82NinerAlum[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 08:56 PM [b] Nothing the little O does surprises me anymore. The fact of that matter is that the paper has become very commercialized and hasn't produced much quality journalism since the early 90's. I've read some good stories, but not on a consistent basis.

I rarely buy the paper, I personally think it’s embarrassing with all of the grammatical errors and all. [/b]

:toast:

[b]I think he knew he had to do something special to pull off a W against us, but it worked.[/b]

Didn’t hurt Rodney couldn’t sniff the court without picking up a foul, or KenKay Jones getting bloodied.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 10:09 PM [b]
[b]I think he knew he had to do something special to pull off a W against us, but it worked.[/b]

Didn’t hurt Rodney couldn’t sniff the court without picking up a foul, or KenKay Jones getting bloodied. [/b]

I remember Rodney carrying us on his back late in the second, right before fouling out, I don’t think he got to play more than 12 min. I completely forgot about the elbow from Donald Little that knocked out a couple of Kenkay’s teeth (or at least loosened them). AND NO WHISTLE!!!

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Oct 18 2004, 11:20 PM [b]I remember Rodney carrying us on his back late in the second, right before fouling out, I don't think he got to play more than 12 min. I completely forgot about the elbow from Donald Little that knocked out a couple of Kenkay's teeth (or at least loosened them). AND NO WHISTLE!!!!![/b]
Ahh yes. Some of the league favortisim in action.

But the best part of that exchange was JungleRat posting a pic of KenKay, all bloodied, and bragging about it.

Then, a couple weeks later, we faced the “stronger, more physically mature” (repeat x30 - such great insight there Mr. Walton) Bearcats in the CUSA championship game. We owned them and I got a chance to return the favor to Junglefink with this gem:

Ahhh sweet memories! B)

[quote=“Over40NINER, post:4, topic:4466”]

Originally posted by run49er@Oct 18 2004, 10:14 AM
[b] …He expect 6 NCAA picks – Charlotte, Cincy, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, and Memphis.

[/b]

I understand the Observer has already stated 6 acc teams will get bids. They must have accidentally forgotten to mention that CUSA, the conference of the HONETOWN 49ERS may also get 6 bids…AGAIN!!!

B) B) B)[/quote]

We were projected to finish 4th our last season in CUSA and CUSA was projected to receive 6 bids (even though no one living in Charlotte knew it). It will be interesting to see both projections for this year.

yikes. fourth. i guess we have to earn respect.

wow. did not relaize until now that this was an old thread. i almost freaked out.

Who will make ncaa tourney again first, us or Depaul?

Us. I wouldn’t be pissed with being picked fourth this season. But if Major keeps the team intact going into 2014-15 season, that year will be the Charlotte & UTEP show.

Us. I wouldn’t be pissed with being picked fourth this season. But if Major keeps the team intact going into 2014-15 season, that year will be the Charlotte & UTEP show.[/quote]WKU has a young and talented team that will be very good in 2014-2015. Don’t. Sleep on them.

Us. I wouldn’t be pissed with being picked fourth this season. But if Major keeps the team intact going into 2014-15 season, that year will be the Charlotte & UTEP show.[/quote]

I don’t care where we are picked but I wouldn’t be happy with 4th. Top 2 are my expectations coming off NIT year and Majors 4 season. I would be disappointed with 3rd and anything else would make me think we pretty much suck.

Us. I wouldn’t be pissed with being picked fourth this season. But if Major keeps the team intact going into 2014-15 season, that year will be the Charlotte & UTEP show.[/quote]

I don’t care where we are picked but I wouldn’t be happy with 4th. Top 2 are my expectations coming off NIT year and Majors 4 season. I would be disappointed with 3rd and anything else would make me think we pretty much suck.[/quote]You must have higher expectations for this season than I do.

I felt good about next season before Clark and Nickerson decided to transfer.

We have no post depth. If Thorne or Blakely don’t step up, Clayton will get doubled and his production will drop.

Sounds about right to me