UAB football

If that is true, it seems like a decision has already been made. When taking into consideration their coaches contract and the fact that they are the only FBS team with no games scheduled past 2016, it is really not looking good.

clt says that we should offer miss state an invite to cusa.

I feel UAB is done… Seems they were already getting rid of the program and just needed to conduct this “research” to support a decision they already made. Seems like this entire story is just a last ditch effort for their football foundation to save the program. A bowl game this year may help keep the team around though. Who knows.

Assuming UAB’s program ends in 2016, who do you think we’d see wanting to make the move to CUSA?

[quote=“JWNiner, post:23, topic:29110”]I feel UAB is done… Seems they were already getting rid of the program and just needed to conduct this “research” to support a decision they already made. Seems like this entire story is just a last ditch effort for their football foundation to save the program. A bowl game this year may help keep the team around though. Who knows.

Assuming UAB’s program ends in 2016, who do you think we’d see wanting to make the move to CUSA?[/quote]

I don’t think, I know.

I want JMU. Just about everybody that knows me knows that.

This isn’t the way I want it to happen, though.

[quote=“JWNiner, post:23, topic:29110”]I feel UAB is done… Seems they were already getting rid of the program and just needed to conduct this “research” to support a decision they already made. Seems like this entire story is just a last ditch effort for their football foundation to save the program. A bowl game this year may help keep the team around though. Who knows.

Assuming UAB’s program ends in 2016, who do you think we’d see wanting to make the move to CUSA?[/quote]iI would want us to keep USB and let U MASS in for football only. Or a full invite for UMass. Inviting jmu hurts basketball. If cusa ever went to 16 or lost a team that sucks at basketball I would be fine with jmu but I want our league to at least try to maintain basketball credibility.

[quote=“Niner National, post:25, topic:29110”][quote=“JWNiner, post:23, topic:29110”]I feel UAB is done… Seems they were already getting rid of the program and just needed to conduct this “research” to support a decision they already made. Seems like this entire story is just a last ditch effort for their football foundation to save the program. A bowl game this year may help keep the team around though. Who knows.

Assuming UAB’s program ends in 2016, who do you think we’d see wanting to make the move to CUSA?[/quote]iI would want us to keep USB and let U MASS in for football only. Or a full invite for UMass. Inviting jmu hurts basketball. If cusa ever went to 16 or lost a team that sucks at basketball I would be fine with jmu but I want our league to at least try to maintain basketball credibility.[/quote]

UMass hurts football much more than JMU would hurt basketball.

Plus, an invitation for UMass is a continuation of the disturbing trend that has done a number on college sports: geography and logistics are the last considerations when inviting members.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:26, topic:29110”][quote=“Niner National, post:25, topic:29110”][quote=“JWNiner, post:23, topic:29110”]I feel UAB is done… Seems they were already getting rid of the program and just needed to conduct this “research” to support a decision they already made. Seems like this entire story is just a last ditch effort for their football foundation to save the program. A bowl game this year may help keep the team around though. Who knows.

Assuming UAB’s program ends in 2016, who do you think we’d see wanting to make the move to CUSA?[/quote]iI would want us to keep USB and let U MASS in for football only. Or a full invite for UMass. Inviting jmu hurts basketball. If cusa ever went to 16 or lost a team that sucks at basketball I would be fine with jmu but I want our league to at least try to maintain basketball credibility.[/quote]

Plus, an invitation for UMass is a continuation of the disturbing trend that has done a number on college sports: geography and logistics are the last considerations when inviting members.[/quote]uab was terrible at football for years and have been solid this year. Things can change quickly.

Besides jmu might stink it up at the FBS level too, leaving us with bad football and bad basketball.

Uab on thethe other hand is a proven commodity for basketball, soccer and other Olympic sports. Cusas best chance for press, respect, and revenue comes from basmetball. We will never as a conference turn a profit on football or be on equal footing with major conferences. We can be with a basketball league that gets 2-3 bids consistently.

[quote=“Niner National, post:27, topic:29110”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:26, topic:29110”][quote=“Niner National, post:25, topic:29110”][quote=“JWNiner, post:23, topic:29110”]I feel UAB is done… Seems they were already getting rid of the program and just needed to conduct this “research” to support a decision they already made. Seems like this entire story is just a last ditch effort for their football foundation to save the program. A bowl game this year may help keep the team around though. Who knows.

Plus, an invitation for UMass is a continuation of the disturbing trend that has done a number on college sports: geography and logistics are the last considerations when inviting members.[/quote]uab was terrible at football for years and have been solid this year. Things can change quickly.

Besides jmu might stink it up at the FBS level too, leaving us with bad football and bad basketball.

Uab on thethe other hand is a proven commodity for basketball, soccer and other Olympic sports. Cusas best chance for press, respect, and revenue comes from basmetball. We will never as a conference turn a profit on football or be on equal footing with major conferences. We can be with a basketball league that gets 2-3 bids consistently.[/quote]

I personally like the idea of UMASS for all sports. They bring a much needed name recognition in basketball to the conference, much more than FIU and FAU. With the addition of WKY and UMASS, the conference suddenly has somewhat of a name in basketball.

Regarding the geographically boundaries, the conference already extends from the east coast to the western Texas border, and even farther for soccer. UMASS is much closer to Charlotte than El Paso, TX and about as close as the F_U schools.

How about coastal Carolina?

Seriously though. Would prefer UMASS for the basketball positives mentioned above and there is no guarantee JMU carries their FCS success to FBS.

UMASS all the way.

CUSA needs to be proactive here. I hate it for UAB, but this impacts us and every other conference member as well.

CUSA needs to get some answers and move on accordingly.

Where is the AL Gov. & Legislature? Where are AL fans to say not in our name?

Georgia Southern?
They haven’t fielded a very good BB team in a while, but there is a slim chance that, if GS runs the table in football this year and other power conference teams suck wind, the Cotton Bowl may get an NCAA exemption and invite the Eagles.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/11/07/around-college-football-georgia-southern-ohio-state-michigan-state-temple/18633525/

You have to admit, GS is no flash in the pan. They have 6 FCS national championships under their belt as well as 2 other appearances in the FCS national title game. I realize that they don’t bring a TV market with them, but they have the potential to bring in some serious bowl money on a recurring basis.

UAB’s future looks even worse. After everything coming out this past week, they had LA Tech come into town yesterday (#1 C-USA West) and only managed 9,457 in attendance according to their wiki page. I’m hoping that was a typo and they had 19K there, but still… We give our fans crap, some of it warranted, but geeze, UAB has it much worse.

There appeared to be a few more than announced, but it wasn’t good. In the last ten years we’ve only drawn over 20K once in November.

So that number on wiki, just under 10K, was about right? I thought students and the community would have rallied, especially in a game where they could have clinched a bowl game and beat the #1 team (6-0 to Marshall’s current 5-0) in conference play.

I thought 11-13K given that there were about a thousand Tech fans on the opposite side. http://instagram.com/p/vJcaWpKeOJ/ Doesn’t matter though. Sad number either way. I was afraid the news might deflate some people. I expect Marshall game to be the same or worse. Some fans are probably just tired of fighting what seems to be a losing battle.

I’ll add the link to the petition again - please sign if you haven’t

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/continue-uab-football

Very thorough read on the subject. Invest the time. This one is good.

I don’t think you can count lousy attendance against UAB when they’re in danger of getting pulled. If anything, even 1 person period should be a victory in such a situation.

I don’t know how many of you may be familiar with what has been going on down in Birmingham…but the powers-that-be in that state are trying to shut the program down because it is supposedly a drain on the university system. Research it for yourselves. Hopefully that will NOT happen to their program…nonetheless let it serve as a real example of why we must throw ourselves fully behind our own program.