UAB Home Game 1-2-20 7:00 Tip

clt says we need shooters

Whatā€™s up with Brandon Younger this year? Why does he never get any time? Injured? Doghouse?

Gotta be the doghouse for some reason always gets garbage minutes at end of game.

Bamba has butterfingers

Nice to pull this win out but man, how many point blank shots can we miss

2 Likes

Good to get this win against a pretty decent team without our best player. Defense is keeping us in these games during stretches where we miss 25 layups in a row.

1 Like

Good home conference win. Only 9 turnovers and forcing 18 was the difference to get the win after another poor shooting performance.

Bertram couldnā€™t end up missing every one of his 3 pt shots this season right?.. or could he? 0-15 so far.

Vasic 2-16 (13%) 3pt for the season. He was 16-40 (40%) two years ago.

At some point our worst 3 pt shooters need to quit shooting 3s when the game is still undecided.

Whatā€™s the near mid year evaluation on Williams? He has the size against most defenders to catch the ball and put his body against theirs and get to the rim. Iā€™m guessing heā€™s adjusting to the college game and not sure yet how much to just attack since he gets limited minutes. He needs to be a contributor off of the bench.

Thisā€¦those close misses are soooooo frustrating.

Yep. @itsbraille49 called it. He tweeted out before the game that points off turnovers would be our chance to win the game, and he was right.

1 Like

Nice win. Home dog . UAB picked to finish 4th in conference. Again, nice win.

I am not specifically sure, but towards the end of the game UAB may have had as many rebounds (37) as points. If not, they were very close. That has to be a rare stat.

Well, they probably had a rebound for every one of our missed shots. We absolutely do not crash the offensive boards.

1 Like

As putrid as we are on offense, I keep telling myself this is the team Sanchez wants right nowā€¦give up some playmaking ability (like Younger) for tough D and low turnovers.

Our offense prohibits offensive playmaking unless the shot clock is expiring, then itā€™s only Shepherd or Young that gets to create their own shot. Leaves us without knowing how good of a player guys like Williams is/could be.

clt would like to see more Williams and less betram

4 Likes

Always nice to pick up a win versus our long time off and on again conference foe (though UAB still lead the series 31-18). Of their three double figure scorers, only Tavin Lothan eclipsed 10 and was in fact the lone Blazer to do so. Donā€™t know if dismissed UAB junior guard Zach Bryant (11 ppg, 2.7 apg) would have made any difference but we didnā€™t have Shepherd so thatā€™s wasted speculation. Just glad to be 1-0 and in first place!

2 Likes

I would love to see Brice get Bertramā€™s minutes or even Youngerā€¦but when heā€™s in the game I donā€™t know if I can pull any harder for a player. I want him to his shots so badā€¦because we need what he can do if he can relax and get out of his head. And FWIWā€¦Bert looked more comfortable and confident out there tonight than any other game Iā€™ve seen him in. The shot just still isnā€™t falling. But dammitā€¦I root for him to get a shot and everytime he shoots Iā€™m ready to erupt.

I still feel if he makes oneā€¦heā€™ll make another and he could very well add another dimension to the team. Cā€™mon Bertā€¦Iā€™m pulling for you!!!

3 Likes

Hate it for Shep but this is great for the team. We defer to him too much in our bleed the clock offense and getting more minutes for Brice, Bert, Vasic and maybe Youngerā€¦making someone else make a play like Young, Robb or anyone else. This could be huge for our growthā€¦especially offensivelyā€¦for however long Shep may be sidelined.

Againā€¦we are a .500 team this year and are in no position to worry about a few more wins. If losing Shep for a few games costs us a few more lossesā€¦but we get growth for the young guysā€¦thatā€™s a trade off that I will take and will benefit us for the long run.

1 Like

It felt like yesterday to me that Brice was passing on some looks that in the first few games he was taking. That could just be me though.

If we can find a way to get a win against Middle Tennessee Saturday we will have a week off for Shepherd to recover. Middle has a pretty bad record so far. Not sure who they have played so they could be better than their record indicates. Would feel pretty fortunate to start out conference play 2-0 without one of our best players. Itā€™s good for the other guys to get experience without Shepherd but donā€™t want to go too long without him.