UConn's Calhoun owns free-lance reporter

I’m surprised Calhoun didn’t dive on him.

[URL=http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/sports_ap_hartford_calhoun_salary_200902211850][B][U]Calhoun gets into spat over salary[/U][/B][/URL], WTHN-TV

[URL=http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hc-ucmennotes0222.artfeb22,0,1251235.story][B][U]Calhoun, Activist Go One-On-One After UConn Win[/U][/B][/URL], Hartford Courant

Looks like they do things differently in CT than they do in NC. :shades:

(yea, I know the “journalist” was free-lance)

Question for Mike P: How do I go about becoming a Freelance Journalist? This job looks like it could be lots of FUN. :shades:

Not exactly sure he “owned” him. It was silly to ask Calhoun at a post-game press conference, though he’s right that few reporters ask that question of these coaches (Calhoun might want to have a better response handy). Maybe it’s a better question for the university president, AD, and the regents.

Besides, Calhoun doesn’t bring in 12 mil alone, the program does, which has costs much higher than the 1.6 mil alone. And I’m pretty sure that Calhoun is full of it in saying that money goes back to the university. It goes back to the athletic department, as I understand it. The athletic departments love to say they are “self-funded”, but of course it always depends on which costs you decide to include. They usually leave out the infrastructure mostly provided by the university, alumni, and taxpayers that allow these large revenues to be brought in, not to mention providing a loyal fan base. The question is how much are the other benefits of having a nationally recognized athletic program worth for the rest of the university. Is it still a profit then?

Not exactly sure he "owned" him. It was silly to ask Calhoun at a post-game press conference, though he's right that few reporters ask that question of these coaches (Calhoun might want to have a better response handy). Maybe it's a better question for the university president, AD, and the regents.

Besides, Calhoun doesn’t bring in 12 mil alone, the program does, which has costs much higher than the 1.6 mil alone. And I’m pretty sure that Calhoun is full of it in saying that money goes back to the university. It goes back to the athletic department, as I understand it. The athletic departments love to say they are “self-funded”, but of course it always depends on which costs you decide to include. They usually leave out the infrastructure mostly provided by the university, alumni, and taxpayers that allow these large revenues to be brought in, not to mention providing a loyal fan base. The question is how much are the other benefits of having a nationally recognized athletic program worth for the rest of the university. Is it still a profit then?

You’d have to think with how good his teams are he also brings in merchandise and marketing sales as well. Along with that, when your team is that good it makes people more apt to donate in all areas… something this school hopes to have happen with football in the future.

You'd have to think with how good his teams are he also brings in merchandise and marketing sales as well. Along with that, when your team is that good it makes people more apt to donate in all areas... something this school hopes to have happen with football in the future.
Donations tied to athletics is probably the big money for the school. But the infrastructure costs are often huge themselves. It'll be interesting to see what happens to coaches' salaries once the economic crunch starts hitting the money coming in and attendance at the games. Wonder if universities will be forced to re-evaluate the equation.

I cannot stomach Calhoun. The guy has that northeast, arrogant, loud-mouth mentality. I am happy that the reporter ruffled his feathers.

Not sure why this is surprising. Calhoun has always been like this.

Donations tied to athletics is probably the big money for the school. But the infrastructure costs are often huge themselves. It'll be interesting to see what happens to coaches' salaries once the economic crunch starts hitting the money coming in and attendance at the games. Wonder if universities will be forced to re-evaluate the equation.

I know for other sports (atleast for athletes), they’ve cut back on signing bonuses and upfront money immensely.

People like this reporter are incredibly obnoxious. A guy shouldn’t be allowed to make $1.6 million?

If anybody can make $1.6 million, I say good for them.

I don’t even see what point he was trying to make. It’s not Calhoun’s fault that the state is has a major budget deficit. Why should he give any of it back? Go ask the people who screwed **** up to give the money back. Calhoun makes that university a **** ton of money. Money they would otherwise have to get from the state.

Wasn’t it Calhoun ragging on his scholarship players that they need to show up and work there butts off everyday since they are getting a scholarship valued at$7k per year at UConn. Then he spouts off justifying his pay by the fact BBall brings in $12M per year. It’s an old argument and I don’t think Calhoun was right in going off about it.

clt wants mary s from the o to ask the same question at roy’s next press conference.

[QUOTE=cltniners;386235]clt wants mary s from the o to ask the same question at roy’s next press conference.[/QUOTE]
It will never happen. I will be happy if someone from the Observer Sports Department asks those questions to Roy or Butch.

[QUOTE=Chipper;386294]It will never happen. I will be happy if someone from the Observer Sports Department asks those questions to Roy or Butch.[/QUOTE]

clt advises you that your happiness will never come.