UMass students rioted at least 10 were arrested

" Saturday, December 16, 2006 Melee at UMass Amherst after football defeat

By James Vaznis
Globe Staff
and Jason Rosso
Globe Correspondent

At least 10 University of Massachusetts Amherst students were arrested this morning as police in riot gear tried to disperse a massive, raucous throng of hundreds of undergraduates who poured out of their dormitories after the football team was defeated in the Division 1-AA championship game.

University officials and state police said there were as many as 900 students in the southwest residential area, a dormitory complex for several thousand students, and some were throwing bottles, lighting fires and breaking windows after the Minutemen’s 28-17 to top ranked Appalachian State in the championship game in Chattanooga, Tenn.

The Massachusetts State Police sent about 22 cruisers and four K-9 units to Amherst to assist campus police in dispersing the throng, which Edward Blaguszewski, director of news and information at the school, described as a “major disturbance.”

At least one student said it more like a riot.

"Everybody just went out and pretty much rioted,‘’ said Dan Nguyen, a sophomore from Dedham who photographed the melee. "Students were throwing trash cans and breaking windows and the riot squad came, and they were throwing tear gas and shooting pellets at the crowd. It was pretty crazy.‘’

"Two of my friends were shot and they have welts on them, they are not badly hurt.‘’

Some students lit trash cans on fire and were throwing them and burning clothes on to bushes and shrubs in an effort to set the plants on fire, Nguyen said.

The crowd started to thin, but two hours after the game ended, there were still 200 to 300 students on the scene, school officials said.

Mounted police were helping to clear the area, Nguyen said. By 2 a.m. the crowd was gone, according to state police

Matthew Brelis of the Globe staff contributed to this report

Posted by the Boston Globe City & Region Desk at 02:01 AM
"

i thought this was a classy school? nevermind they don’t deserve to be in the big east with an attitude such as that. geez. i’d hate to see what would happen if we won a national championship.

OMG! THE UMASS FOUNTAIN!

Is the fountain safe? I hope there was not any bubbles in there.

I think there was a small riot at Charlotte after the Davidson game…

OMG! THE UMASS FOUNTAIN!

Is the fountain safe? I hope there was not any bubbles in there.

:lmao:

I’m sure Charlotte admin. is interested and checking the local hospital… might be people there w/bubble wounds.

God, that was the lamest excuse ever…

lookos kinda like a bunch of people peed in the fountain…

What do you expect from New England people…

I think there was a small riot at Charlotte after the Davidson game...

yea, since the general student body knows we have a basketball team and all.

:sleepy:

Yeah, I think it’s safe to say that most of the people who would potentially have rioted were already at the Davidson game.

Hence I said small.

speakin of crazy Umass fans…

[URL=http://www.massnews.com/2003_Editions/5_May/050603_mn_umass_lives_up_to_rep.shtml]http://www.massnews.com/2003_Editions/5_May/050603_mn_umass_lives_up_to_rep.shtml[/URL]

[QUOTE=the daxified one;205554]
i’d hate to see what would happen if we won a national championship.
[/QUOTE]

observer story. page 8.

:rolleyes:

great article! And some FUGLY people there at Umass.

[URL=http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/10/17/umass_amherst_community_police_try_to_put_lid_on_party_life/]http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/10/17/umass_amherst_community_police_try_to_put_lid_on_party_life/[/URL]

[QUOTE]Meanwhile, some students are learning about the consequences of going too far with their partying. In one notable case, a 20-year old junior arrested at a toga party for underage drinking and disorderly conduct was ordered by a judge to wear a toga for one hour while carrying a sign of apology for insulting a female police officer, a sentence he served one morning last week outside the Amherst Police Department, the judge said.
[/QUOTE]

Now thats a punishment… I think I’ve done that drunk one time for the hell of it.