UMES Home Game 12-19-19 7:00 Tip

scollies! not the dogs. or Metro.

2 Likes

UMES cooperated by missing two free throws to qualify the crowd for free chicken. No more getting 4 cards for 4 freebies on the way out, though. Now you have to go to Chick-Fila app and get one sandwich THE NEXT DAY ONLY.

As for the game, UMES was horrible and , for the last four or five minutes without our starters, so were we.
Think of last years team without Jon Davis. Healy isn’t the only coach who needs to recruit for depth.

Well, learned my lesson. No more bold prognostications. Really thought the guys would run the Hawks out of the gym early on but should know better with this team. My son told me there was a promotion with Penn Station subs that kicked in if we scored 40+ in first half. Never got close to that!

The offense was out of sorts. It looked as though they were trying some new plays so maybe that was part of it. The defense was solid.I expected us to hold them below 40, but we put in our backups. They scored 22 of their 44 in the final 8:32 of the game. This is how this team is built to win. You hear the announcers in the Virginia games state that a 10 point lead for Virginia feels like a 20 point lead. It is the same with us. If we get teams down it is tough for them to come back. That was not the case early in the season, but it seems like we are better on defense now.

Agree on the improved defense. Probably just a result of running the defense in more game speed situations and getting more comfortable with it out of experience.

The thing about defense is that great shooters can have an off night, but great defense is consistent and reliable.

And sometimes it results in a 50-47 loss rather than a 50-47 win.

Sure- you can’t not ever make a bucket. But you’re certainly in the game with a chance to win, even when the shots aren’t falling.