Umm...where are the DTs?

I know the staff understands that this is a position of desperate need…yet there is not one commitment from a DT in this class…what is up with that?

Expect some of the DEs to become interior linemen. Plus, we’re a 3-4 team and will have less NTs on the roster than a 4-3 team would.

This is a legit question. Typically people that run a 3-4 treat all 3 down positions like DTs. Obviously the NT has to be a special player but we need more beef up front so we don’t get pushed around.

Yeah i dont know if we will find our warren sapp so 3 down lineman can stop the run without extra help in the box. So we need to load up on shut down corners and safeties. The db in the other thread would be good start (don’t know why the thread says RB his page says DB?)

Our 2-deep from this year:

DE: 99 BRANDON BANKS
95 Devin Clegg

NT: 65 LARRY OGUNJOBI
97 Tanner Fleming

DE: 92 JAMES MIDDLETON
96 Devon Johnson
11 Mark Pettit

What we will add this year:

Nick Carroll was a redshirt last year and did not play
Jamar Winston fits the profile of a DT and is supposed to enroll this semester, but not sure if he will be a RS.
Josh Manley is supposed to be transferring here from Syracuse and may be eligible right away.
I expect to RS Zach Duncan and Cam Darley next season.

Wolfgang Zacherl was recruited as a DT but played on the o-line last year. Not sure if he moves back or not. Might RS next year also.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:5, topic:28490”]Our 2-deep from this year:

DE: 99 BRANDON BANKS
95 Devin Clegg

NT: 65 LARRY OGUNJOBI
97 Tanner Fleming

DE: 92 JAMES MIDDLETON
96 Devon Johnson
11 Mark Pettit

What we will add this year:

Nick Carroll was a redshirt last year and did not play
Jamar Winston fits the profile of a DT and is supposed to enroll this semester, but not sure if he will be a RS.
Josh Manley is supposed to be transferring here from Syracuse and may be eligible right away.
I expect to RS Zach Duncan and Cam Darley next season.

Wolfgang Zacherl was recruited as a DT but played on the o-line last year. Not sure if he moves back or not. Might RS next year also.
[/

And recruiting continues… I feel certain our coaches are trying to add to each position while also taking the best prospects. I do agree that adding a couple of athletic D lineman that can clog the line and put pressure on the quarterback is essential.

Look forward to signing day this year.[/quote]

We are still heavy in the mix for Zeek Rodney, DT out of Rock Hill . Boston College has backed off a bit. Probably down to us, Syracuse and Marshall.

If we can land Wynn and Rodney, this becomes a very good class

[quote=“ninerID, post:7, topic:28490”]We are still heavy in the mix for Zeek Rodney, DT out of Rock Hill . Boston College has backed off a bit. Probably down to us, Syracuse and Marshall.

If we can land Wynn and Rodney, this becomes a very good class[/quote]yep. Rodney would be a great get.

If we get Rodney and Wynn, in addition to the guys we’ve already added/already on the team, we might have a pretty good core to build around for CUSA.

[quote=“Niner National, post:8, topic:28490”][quote=“ninerID, post:7, topic:28490”]We are still heavy in the mix for Zeek Rodney, DT out of Rock Hill . Boston College has backed off a bit. Probably down to us, Syracuse and Marshall.

If we can land Wynn and Rodney, this becomes a very good class[/quote]yep. Rodney would be a great get.

If we get Rodney and Wynn, in addition to the guys we’ve already added/already on the team, we might have a pretty good core to build around for CUSA.[/quote]

Going to visit SU on 1/17, and Wake is now recruiting him as well. It really comes down to does he want play sooner than later, at Charlotte he can be a 4 year starter and an impact player. Location can still benefit us, i am sure his family would love to see him play.

DE/ DT 240 6"3’ Played PG this fall at Jireh Prep.
Wants to stay in Charlotte to play

^not sure about the kid from Jireh Prep…but below is the list from Rivals…not sure how comprehensive it is…I am sure there are others that the staff is looking at

http://charlotte.rivals.com/quicklist.asp?School=86&Sport=1&DPosition=50&Position=12&Year=2014&qs=1

Hopefully we get some big bodies in, especially by 2015.

[quote=“chasmo101, post:9, topic:28490”][quote=“Niner National, post:8, topic:28490”][quote=“ninerID, post:7, topic:28490”]We are still heavy in the mix for Zeek Rodney, DT out of Rock Hill . Boston College has backed off a bit. Probably down to us, Syracuse and Marshall.

If we get Rodney and Wynn, in addition to the guys we’ve already added/already on the team, we might have a pretty good core to build around for CUSA.[/quote]

Going to visit SU on 1/17, and Wake is now recruiting him as well. It really comes down to does he want play sooner than later, at Charlotte he can be a 4 year starter and an impact player. Location can still benefit us, i am sure his family would love to see him play.[/quote]

I have faith in our football staff. They’ll come up with something. This player sounds like Charlotte is a good fit for him.

We are in Rodney’s final five along with: Marshall, Syracuse, BC and Wake.