Unassisted Triple Play

My favorite play in sports happened today in the Toronto BJs vs. Cleveland Indians game. The Indians 2nd baseman, Asbrudal Cabrera made an unassisted triple play. Unassisted triple plays are one of the rarest occurances in sports. I remember Randy Velarde getting one playing for the Texas Rangers in like 2000 or so. I think that was the last one prior to this. Just awesome.

[COLOR=black]If I remember correctly Troy Tulowitzki (sp) had one last year when the Braves and Rockies played at Coors Field. It is definitely one of the best plays in all of sports.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;319472]I remember Randy Velarde getting one playing for the Texas Rangers in like 2000 or so. I think that was the last one prior to this. Just awesome.[/QUOTE]
Nope. Rafael Furcal turned one in 2003, and Troy Tulowitzki last year.

Nope. Rafael Furcal turned one in 2003, and Troy Tulowitzki last year.

Wow, I must have been really busy if I missed those. Thats incredible that there have been four of them now in the last 8 years considering that there have only been like 14 total in the entire stat age of the MLB.

It was only the 14th turned in the history of baseball. It is a rare gem, although with 4 in the last 9 years it seems that is becoming less rare.

[URL=http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats8.shtml][B][U][COLOR=DarkRed]Baseball Almanac.com: Unassisted Triple Plays[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

It was only the 14th turned in the history of baseball. It is a rare gem, although with 4 in the last 9 years it seems that is becoming less rare.

[URL=http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats8.shtml][B][U][COLOR=darkred]Baseball Almanac.com: Unassisted Triple Plays[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

Well after taking my time to do a little research, which I should have done in the first place instead of trying to show off by talking about Randy Velarde, I noticed that there was a 41 year gap between 1927 and 1968 where they had none and then another gap of 24 years between 1968 and 1992 for the next one, so basically there was a period of 65 years with only one unassisted triple play. But there have been 6 of them in the last 16 years. I mean, how many times are you doing a double hit and run with no outs? Thats the only way for it to happen.

Triple plays are nice… but the one last night was nothing special, imo. Now when the third baseman touches third, throws it to second and then to first OR a blown play that ends in a triple play, now that’s what I like to see.

Ofcourse everything has to happen right and mostly ball, runners, and players in the right place at the right time… but last nights didn’t impress me much.

Triple plays are nice... but the one last night was nothing special, imo. Now when the third baseman touches third, throws it to second and then to first OR a blown play that ends in a triple play, now that's what I like to see.

Ofcourse everything has to happen right and mostly ball, runners, and players in the right place at the right time… but last nights didn’t impress me much.

Those kind of triple plays aren’t as rare as the unassisted.

Those kind of triple plays aren't as rare as the unassisted.
The words "Unassisted triple play" sounds amazing, but the play last night was too easy in boring. And "unassisted", what he doesn't need his team now....? seems kinda selfish to me.:lmao:

[QUOTE=cibik02;319497]The words “Unassisted triple play” sounds amazing, but the play last night was too easy in boring. And “unassisted”, what he doesn’t need his team now…? seems kinda selfish to me.:lmao:[/QUOTE]

A guy caught a ball, tagged the plate and caught the third guy himself. Baseball is boring, but that is impressive.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;319498]A guy caught a ball, tagged the plate and caught the third guy himself. Baseball is boring, but that is impressive.[/QUOTE]

Say what? If he caught the ball in the air for the first out, how did he tag home for the second out? Or did you mean another base?

Say what? If he caught the ball in the air for the first out, how did he tag home for the second out? Or did you mean another base?

It was 2nd base.

A guy caught a ball, tagged the plate and caught the third guy himself. Baseball is boring, but that is impressive.
a diving catch is impressive. Catching a line drive and walking a few steps and touching 2nd base is not, sorry.
a diving catch is impressive. Catching a line drive and walking a few steps and touching 2nd base is not, sorry.

Who are you apologizing to? What are you apologizing for?

Who are you apologizing to? What are you apologizing for?
sorry that I didn't agree. I'm sorry I used the word sorry. sorry. I was just stating that I was currently playing the game Sorry.
sorry that I didn't agree. I'm sorry I used the word sorry. sorry. I was just stating that I was currently playing the game Sorry.

Disagree all you want. Nobody was offended or hurt by it. No need for apologies. I agree that a diving or home run robbing catch is more spectacular. I just love unassisted triple plays, because of their rarity. It’s not much different than Doug Flutie’s drop kick in 2005. Was it spectacular? No. Memorable? Yes.