UNC-CH PAC... Charlotte & Other Universities Get Hosed

This whole PAC deal makes this a lot more understandable:

[URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15691]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15691[/URL]

[QUOTE]Appalachian State, education building, $34 million.

East Carolina, dental school, $87 million.

[B]Fayetteville State, science complex, $22.6 million.[/B]

N.C. A&T State, classrooms, $25.8 million.

N.C. School of the Arts, library, $24.9 million.

N.C. State, animal hospital, $38 million.

UNC Asheville, renovations, $8.7 million.

[B]UNC Chapel Hill, science building, $119.6 million.[/B]

UNC Greensboro, offices, $45.2 million.

UNC Pembroke, dorms, $19 million.

[B]Western Carolina, science building, $43.8 million.[/B]

Winston-Salem State, student center, $18.7 million.[/QUOTE]

I love the idea that atheltes get in-state tuition, after all, they are providing the University a service; and it will help our football efforts.

The real problem is that Chapel Hill is abusing its influence with the Legislature to undermine the authority of the System, and to take necessary funding from other institutions which serve a greater number of students then the Chapel Hill campus.

The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

Interesting that neither our paper nor the N&O had an example of abuse other than the in-state/out-of-state thing. If that’s your biggest smoking gun …

Is the potential for abuse there? Absolutely. But I would say you can’t have both the tuition break for athletes and the ban on this kind of thing, since the PAC produced the break.

Interesting that neither our paper nor the N&O had an example of abuse other than the in-state/out-of-state thing. If that's your biggest smoking gun ...

Is the potential for abuse there? Absolutely. But I would say you can’t have both the tuition break for athletes and the ban on this kind of thing, since the PAC produced the break.

I agree, you can’t have both. So, let’s get rid of it altogether.

And, another example would be from the N&O article:

These are the same people, after all, who paid a few hundred grand to get state legislators' attention in an effort to convince them to grant UNC-CH and N.C. State University independence in setting their tuition rates. (The rates likely would have skyrocketed.) That's a direct affront to the UNC system's Board of Governors, which has say-so over all 16 campuses in the system.

They tried to pass something which would allow them to by-pass the Board of Governors approval process for tuition increases.

These politicians aren’t getting money and political donations from this group for doing absolutely nothing… just because the Chapel Hill PAC thinks they are good people or something. Don’t be naive or try to sell that bull here. It’s to purchase influence. And, it’s sickening that a member of the Board of Governors is on the PAC… That’s sickening and this person should be released from the Board of Governors IMMEDIATELY.

Absolutely and completely unethical.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;234927]Interesting that neither our paper nor the N&O had an example of abuse other than the in-state/out-of-state thing. If that’s your biggest smoking gun …

Is the potential for abuse there? Absolutely. But I would say you can’t have both the tuition break for athletes and the ban on this kind of thing, since the PAC produced the break.[/QUOTE]

there doesnt need to be a smoking gun imo, the potential is enough to worry the hell out of me.

As for the tuition break…I think it should be rolled back…no need to make the tax payer pick up the bill for college athletics.

there doesnt need to be a smoking gun imo, the potential is enough to worry the hell out of me.

As for the tuition break…I think it should be rolled back…no need to make the tax payer pick up the bill for college athletics.

You also can’t tell what they’re up to because there is no transparency for non-members. Interesting that they won’t let the general public know what their current objectives & areas of concentration are on … I mean since they’re here for the greater good of all the universities and everything… :rolleyes: I tried going to their page for “About CHE” and received the message “You are not authorized to access this page.”

They will let you know if you/access the entire site if you will pay $2,500 for one year to become a member. :wow: :ohmy:

These guys remind me of Scientologists.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;234937]You also can’t tell what they’re up to because there is no transparency for non-members. Interesting that they won’t let the general public know what their current objectives & areas of concentration are on … I mean since they’re here for the greater good of all the universities and everything… :rolleyes: I tried going to their page for “About CHE” and received the message “You are not authorized to access this page.”

They will let you know if you/access the entire site if you will pay $2,500 for one year to become a member. :wow: :ohmy:

These guys remind me of Scientologists.[/QUOTE]

clt just looked at their website and threw up in his mouth. this group is so full of bs.

Interesting that neither our paper nor the N&O had an example of abuse other than the in-state/out-of-state thing. If that's your biggest smoking gun ...

Why not?

If its a logical decision… I don’t see why anyone would reject it… unless of course its biased…

Seriously, I hope (and really doubt) anyone on this board is very surprised at the way this PAC operates and how they funnel disproportionate funds to chapel hill. This crap has been going on for a long time in one way or another (and I’m not referring to the out-of-state tuition thing).

It also should come as no surprise that a graduate of chapel hill immediately jumped in to defend the PAC (which specializes in funneling a disproportionate and unfair share of money to chapel hill)… and this chapel hill grad has a tremendous influence on how people living in Charlotte think.

Even Brick announced in the shoutbox that he does not even approve of this group and the way it operates.

Seriously, I hope (and really doubt) anyone on this board is very surprised at the way this PAC operates and how they funnel disproportionate funds to chapel hill. This crap has been going on for a long time in one way or another (and I'm not referring to the out-of-state tuition thing).

It also should come as no surprise that a graduate of chapel hill immediately jumped in to defend the PAC (which specializes in funneling a disproportionate and unfair share of money to chapel hill)… and this chapel hill grad has a tremendous influence on how people living in Charlotte think.

Even Brick announced in the shoutbox that he does not even approve of this group and the way it operates.

If I were a Chapel Hill graduate, I would view this group as an absolute embarrassment… that we would have to rely upon PACs to secure more than our share of funding and play “keep-away” from the already destitute educational institutions of the state.

I would not want the bad press and would not want to be associated with something as seedy as greasing politicians’ palms.

This is NOT going to help their cause in the long run.

If I were a Chapel Hill graduate, I would view this group as an absolute embarrassment... that we would have to rely upon PACs to secure more than our share of funding and play "keep-away" from the already destitute educational institutions of the state.

I would not want the bad press and would not want to be associated with something as seedy as greasing politicians’ palms.

This is NOT going to help their cause in the long run.

Actually, it probably has already been running for a long time and, hmmm UNC seems quite comfortable up there on that petistool. NC-state must be UNC’s jester, while the poor plebian universities just get what’s left over.

New, updated article from Mary Schulken on Charlotte.com on the same topic… It’s interesting.

Consider this contrast.

UNC Chapel Hill has 100 students attending this year who get this tuition break. That costs taxpayers $1.37 million. UNCC enrolls two-thirds as many students as Chapel Hill, but has only eight students who get this break, at a cost of $83,296.

Here’s another red flag: Supporters said this tuition break would increase the number of academic scholarships. But only four campuses report new ones.

Projections show that in three years, Chapel Hill will have 65 new academic scholarships, the most (and only) significant gain. Most campuses, including UNCC, expect no gain

little off subject, but not to far off…

anyone watch last nights fox charlotte’s news of Defend Charlotte?

Per resident we get about $2 a person for roads in mecklenburg county, east of I95 the counties get about $12 per person for roads.

The whole Raleigh vs. Charlotte thing is insane. We get screwed in every aspect. I am shocked that this town is even half what it is with the eternal screw job we get from Raleigh.

I think the education system is the same.

little off subject, but not to far off....

anyone watch last nights fox charlotte’s news of Defend Charlotte?

Per resident we get about $2 a person for roads in mecklenburg county, east of I95 the counties get about $12 per person for roads.

The whole Raleigh vs. Charlotte thing is insane. We get screwed in every aspect. I am shocked that this town is even half what it is with the eternal screw job we get from Raleigh.

I think the education system is the same.

Yeah, I think it bleeds through to a lot of things in this state.

All athletics aside this is deplorable. I had no idea UNC-CH has an actual committee to make the rich richer, and Dean Smith supports this, whatever happened to the Coach Smith that integrated chapel hill, now he aligns himself with fatcats while traditionally black institutions suffer? Chapel Hill gets plenty, PLENTY of alumni money, why do they have to hog the state money too, so that the junior assistant basketball manager can have his own office? This is crap, how can anyone expect any state school not in the triangle to grow and achieve in academics and athletics on an equal level when they barely pay for the lights? I lived in the triangle for 16 years and frankly the whole i love duke, i love unc, i love state crap got real old once i was over 16. But baby boomers eat that stuff up and that is all they freakin talk about. I love charlotte but I’m not going to paint everything I own niner green and emboss mt hood with a pickaxe.
Obviously the board of governers is afflicted with triangle blinders, unable to see any school not in durham, orange or wake county. I honestly imagine a bunch of overweight, crew cut 50’s throwbacks wearing horn-rimmed glasses and skinny ties smoking like john wayne and being as indifferent and smug as possible.

[QUOTE=ninerID;236730]Per resident we get about $2 a person for roads in mecklenburg county, east of I95 the counties get about $12 per person for roads.
[/QUOTE]

fwiw, there are only 2 real cities east of I-95… wilmington and greenville. both are probably the most populous dense areas, and even they aren’t that dense. stands to reason that given the complete lack of density east of 95 that this would be the case. I’m actually shocked its that close, I would have expected something along the lines of $2-$20+.

[QUOTE=Anborn;236737]fwiw, there are only 2 real cities east of I-95… wilmington and greenville. both are probably the most populous dense areas, and even they aren’t that dense. stands to reason that given the complete lack of density east of 95 that this would be the case. I’m actually shocked its that close, I would have expected something along the lines of $2-$20+.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they also tend to get weather that is detrimental to the roads out there. Raliegh is not east of I-95. There may not be a lot of people living out there, but vacationers use those roads like crazy and that includes us in Charlotte. So that doesn’t bother me so much.

I think they could make it fair if they had a UNC System PAC, & divided it 16 ways. After all, it is a PUBLIC school, & all public schools should be equal. You can only have unequal at private schools.

fwiw, there are only 2 real cities east of I-95.... wilmington and greenville. both are probably the most populous dense areas, and even they aren't that dense. stands to reason that given the complete lack of density east of 95 that this would be the case. I'm actually shocked its that close, I would have expected something along the lines of $2-$20+.

those two cities don’t have 8 BILLION dollar light rail systems. They probably don’t spend 57% of their budgets on 3% of the population (again light rail).

Charlotte gets scraps, but they are pretty dumb with the money they get. I don’t get charlotte tax payers either, we complain about the same crap over and over, YET we vote the same people in. We turn down education bonds b/c “we don’t trust the people to use the money wisely” yet we vote the same people back in on school board.

I say after football is decided, one way or the other, THIS is our next push as niner nation. The entrance sign is getting updated, and the name change will not happen anytime soon. The next push is to even out the funding. Yes I know David Dunn is doing his thing, but this would be totally grass roots. This isn’t a part of the administration wanting their piece of the pie for our school, this is niner nation wanting fairness, representation, and a chance. We learn the facts, we organize, we bond on a common ground just as we did on football. We would even get the City of Charlotte involved on this. We can start today if you like, I will be the Jim Duncan of this cause, or someone else can step up.

If we have to put up with the crap that comes from having a prefix, we should at least get the benefits.

[QUOTE=ninerID;236765]those two cities don’t have 8 BILLION dollar light rail systems. They probably don’t spend 57% of their budgets on 3% of the population (again light rail).

Charlotte gets scraps, but they are pretty dumb with the money they get. I don’t get charlotte tax payers either, we complain about the same crap over and over, YET we vote the same people in. We turn down education bonds b/c “we don’t trust the people to use the money wisely” yet we vote the same people back in on school board.

[B]I say after football is decided, one way or the other, THIS is our next push as niner nation.[/B] The entrance sign is getting updated, and the name change will not happen anytime soon. The next push is to even out the funding. Yes I know David Dunn is doing his thing, but this would be totally grass roots. This isn’t a part of the administration wanting their piece of the pie for our school, this is niner nation wanting fairness, representation, and a chance. We learn the facts, we organize, we bond on a common ground just as we did on football. We would even get the City of Charlotte involved on this. We can start today if you like, I will be the Jim Duncan of this cause, or someone else can step up.

If we have to put up with the crap that comes from having a prefix, we should at least get the benefits.[/QUOTE]
:thumbsup: Nice! Hey, we managed to get our own into SBP office, who says we couldn’t move onto the city once we get an annual showing in the campus voting.