unc-chapel hill axes coach

Bunting is a goner.

Here’s the link if anyone is interested.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102206aaa.html

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;194015]if anyone is interested.
[/QUOTE]

WUDDA YA MEAN ? if anyone is interested.

You know as well as I do, that EVERYONE within circulation range of the Charlotte Observer is interested.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can’t imagine being told you will be let go at the end of the season. I know they probably couldn’t get anyone good now, but in his shoes, that just makes your job really suck.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;194063]Can’t imagine being told you will be let go at the end of the season. I know they probably couldn’t get anyone good now, but in his shoes, that just makes your job really suck.[/QUOTE]

Not really, he’s going still get paid handsomely for a while and not have to work. Not too bad in my opinion.

Not really, he's going still get paid handsomely for a while and not have to work. Not too bad in my opinion.

He’ll probably end up as a college football analyst/talk-guy for ESPN or some other network.

[QUOTE]He has three seasons remaining on his contract (2007-08-09) at $286,200 per year.[/QUOTE]

Relative to many other coaching contracts I have seen, that’s really not a lot of money. Those 3 years do not equal half of John Calipari’s salary for a season.

Bunting always seemed to be a likable, classy guy. It’s ironic that he represented Chapel Hill. Hopefully, he’ll be a winner somewhere else.

Looks like the job is Butch Davis’ to turn down.

Yes, I think Butch Davis will use it to spring board to a better job, much like Mack Brown did…

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;196758]Yes, I think Butch Davis will use it to spring board to a better job, much like Mack Brown did…[/QUOTE]

Like which jobs?? He already left Miami once, there maybe 4 or 5 jobs in the country he would leave for. They are going to make him one of the highest paid coaches in the country and he can turn them into a top 15 program.

He had turned down Michigan St and you can bet Alabama is making a last ditch pitch right now.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;196758]Yes, I think Butch Davis will use it to spring board to a better job, much like Mack Brown did…[/QUOTE]

cept, butch davis has already been at the top.

this is like spurrier going to the game****s.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;196763]
Like which jobs?? He already left Miami once, there maybe 4 or 5 jobs in the country he would leave for. They are going to make him one of the highest paid coaches in the country and he can turn them into a top 15 program.
[/QUOTE]

Is that what they are saying on the tarhole boards Jim? Top 15 program?

He only has to move them up about 85 notches. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=Powerbait;196788]cept, butch davis has already been at the top.

this is like spurrier going to the game****s.[/QUOTE]
You can win big at USC. They’ve got money and it’s a football crazy place.

Yes, I think Butch Davis will use it to spring board to a better job, much like Mack Brown did...

Why? He can basically go where he wants right now. It makes no sense whatsoever to use UNC as a springboard when he could take pretty much any available position.

He’s on the short list at Michigan State, but turned it down, saying that UNC is the “more attractive” option.

[QUOTE=Hollywood;196837]Why? He can basically go where he wants right now. It makes no sense whatsoever to use UNC as a springboard when he could take pretty much any available position.

He’s on the short list at Michigan State, but turned it down, saying that UNC is the “more attractive” option.[/QUOTE]

Does “more attractive” mean not having to play Michigan and Ohio State?:biggrin:

[QUOTE=VA49er;196838]Does “more attractive” mean not having to play Michigan and Ohio State?:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Either that or it means he won’t be under as much pressure if he has some “non-spectacular” seasons. :smile:

Are the tarhole fans gonna start throwing oranges on the field again because they think they have a coach that will take them to the Orange Bowl?

How is a football team that wears baby blue ever going to be dominating?

Michigan State is a spring board job too, look at Saban…

UNC is a basketball school and that isn’t going to change.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;196846]Michigan State is a spring board job too, look at Saban…

UNC is a basketball school and that isn’t going to change.[/QUOTE]

True, but there are still plenty on football fans. Give them a winner and it can be a football school as well. In the Mac Brown hay day the week of FSU at UNC created as much excitement as the UNC v Duke basketball game.

I wonder if even when we get football, people will always say we are a “basketball” school.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;196847]
I wonder if even when we get football, people will always say we are a “basketball” school.
[/QUOTE]

Well… You have to admit… it’s an easy excuse to use if you are having a bad football season.

Put me on the list of wanting to be a football and basketball school. Baseball too.

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;196847]True, but there are still plenty on football fans. Give them a winner and it can be a football school as well. In the Mac Brown hay day the week of FSU at UNC created as much excitement as the UNC v Duke basketball game.

I wonder if even when we get football, people will always say we are a “basketball” school.[/QUOTE]

Your right Jimmy, back in 97 when UNC had that killer D, there were many people including myself that thought UNC would come out of that game still undefeated.

You have to admit that Bunting hasn’t done a good job. The man is a good person and I kind of feel bad for him (you can see it in his face with every game (This is his alma mater and he’s poured so much into this university), but with the team he had in 2000 with Peppers, Sims, and that core of Linebackers (Hodge, Thorton). Plus he had a capable QB in Durant (in which he started Curry over (Durant was Freshman but better than Curry). Considering the NFL talent he had that year and how he wasn’t able to consistently bring it in afterwards (beside this coming up year (unfortunate for him) Bunting didn’t do a good enough job.

Whoever the new coach here is, they will be stocked with current Talent (Ex. Hakeem Nicks Independence HS), and a Top recruiting class coming in next year (Big time QB Mike Paulus (Brother of Greg) plus other top 10 talent. Thats how the AD is selling this job to big time coaches like Butch Davis. The talent is there, it just needs to be harvested.